• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids er vs ir opioid withdrawal

cdin

Moderator: H&R; Discord Sr. Staff
Staff member
Hey. Ive been stuck for a long time on a low oral dose of opiates. trying to get off of em. Background: sustained some injuries, mostly immobilized for two years. Was on and off various opioids/kratom. Want to kick em for good. Now, I've done this a handful of times, but never quite in this way. So, for the last 4 months I've been on either - 12mg hydro IR morning/evening. went a little higher, now stabilized at 15mg morphine ER morning/night. My question is mainly this - is it wise/useful to continue this taper w/the morphine ER? It SEEMS like it should make tapering and getting off easier, but then again, it is also getting me used to tiny amounts of opiates at a more constant plasma level... So, has anyone done kicks, specifically w morphine and can compare ER/IR formulations? Also, what should I expect coming off 30mg total ER morphine a day? It's been about a month at that level. My previous experience was primarily heroin withdrawal, from high IV dose, so I don't know if it's a good reference at all for what I'm about to go through. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

so are you thinking of tapering off with just morphine? or are you just getting down to a low level and then using a step-down med to make the leap?
i've done a couple of CT heroin rattles, once used methadone but the one i swear by is the rapid bupe detox. seriously, i've done it six times now.

also, have you got any comfort meds for the first few days totally opiate free? things like immodium, ibuprofen, buscopan, GABA, sleepers etc?

got all comfort meds, I was mainly asking whether continuing to taper the ER morphine formulation was a good idea, or if I should get some IR's, and additionally what to expect as far as severity and timeline from 15mg ER morphine morning/night. Sorry for not being more clear. Thanks. also - ^ re the previous post, in the past, on heroin IV I hated suboxone for a number of reasons, a lot of which don't seem to apply now. I've been considering getting some bupe for a short taper. If I was considering that, I should probably switch to morph IR though, correct? or perhaps oxycodone IR. I don't trust not getting precip withdrawal with the stupid ER tabs.

oooh right sorry man yeah i'm kinda high so i probs just totally missed the point :D
i've never had suboxone only generic subutex but even tho that suboxone doesn't have any effect its still a bunch of bullshit

i swear on the rapid bupe taper pal, can do it in about a week depending on the size of your habit: got off half g a day habit in like 8 days on bupe, admittedly i could drawn tha tone out a bit longer cause it was pretty uncomfortable but as long as i can get some sleep at night i dont care if i wake up in a puddle of sweat each morning ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i've never had precip. wd's, not for a lack of trying either cause i'm a dumbass sometimes. guess i'm just blessed. but yeaaaaah i'm not sure about the IR - cause isn't instant release more habit forming? if you can trust yourself to make the transition to bupe then i would go for it - best of luck pal!

i mean, it's more habit forming if you dose it all day. If you still only take one dose every 12 hours, you'll feel worse by the end but actually have your plasma levels fall. im not sure if those troughs make a difference or not... kinda what I want to know ;)

yeah i always went from heroin to bupe - and heroins about as IR as they come =D