View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Epilepsy and LSD

Focusedminds12

Greenlighter
Alright so this isn't nessasrily a WSIT post but more of an advise post. I want to try LSD but not sure how its gonna affect my seizures. I take trokendi 200mg and keppra 500mg everyday and have been seizure free for a little over 2 years. The only experience I had with pyscodelics is with mushrooms and had no problems.

No one on bluelight can tell you with certainty how LSD will interact with your epilepsy or your medications. LSD and mushrooms are similar, but not the same. The only completely safe option is abstinence. If you MUST try LSD, start by taking a very small dose.

Alright so this isn't nessasrily a WSIT post but more of an advise post. I want to try LSD but not sure how its gonna affect my seizures. I take trokendi 200mg and keppra 500mg everyday and have been seizure free for a little over 2 years. The only experience I had with pyscodelics is with mushrooms and had no problems.

I wrote this towards the end of 2014 in another thread, it may help you.

Hey, I am diagnosed with myoclonic epilepsy with seizures that can generalize into tonic-clonic seizures. The seizures were precipitated after using benzodiazepines and thienodiazepines for an extended period of time, they stopped the shaking/tremors and allowed me to sleep. I did not realize that the myoclonus was abnormal, additionally I experienced periods of momentarily losing consciousness randomly during my childhood and adolescence. I was having partial and myoclonic seizures for years before they became readily apparent. I had my first tonic-clonic seizure in April of last year and was placed on 500mg of Valproate and later bumped up to 1000mg. I lost my short term memory and was incredibly dysfunctional while on it. I have since switched to Leveracetam and Lamotrigene, I am currently discontinuing the former while titrating up my dosage on the latter.

What type of epilepsy do you have? Do you have partial/focal, generalized, or just motor seizures? What medication do you take and how much? I have found that I am able to use cannabis normally, opiates are fine, and stimulants are not really a problem. I have not experimented with psychedelic lysergamides, phenethylamines, or tryptamines since being diagnosed. I would stick to short acting psychedelics if at all possible, sleep deprivation will lower your seizure threshold. Titrate your dosage upward from a safe starting point. Eat well before/during the trip and stay hydrated. In my experience, drinking alcohol is fine unless you get absolutely hammered. You are at a much higher risk of having seizure(s) when the alcohol wears off, use of all GABA A agonists will lower the seizure threshold after they are eliminated metabolically.

Edit: You also do not want to precipitate more seizures. There is a phenomena known as the kindling effect which causes more seizures to occur after repeatedly inducing seizures by not taking medication or prompting them via substance usage.

I was placed on oxazepam (Serax) 1 week right after my first seizure, and was later put on Depakote. I received CAT scans and eventually an MRI after being rushed to the ER after convulsing with a heart rate or 140-160 bpm. I asked the doctor about obtaining a long acting benzodiazepine (diazepam...ect) while in the ER after I told him about my use of thienodiazepines. The CAT scans are rapid, taking 15-30 minutes depending on how recent the tech is, MRIs usually get taken weeks after so you are probably about to undergo that procedure.

As far as short acting trips, I would go for something that lasts no more than 4-6 hours ideally. I was a huge fan of 2C-C before I was diagnosed, and it has a duration of 2-3 hours intranasally/plugged and 4-6 hours orally. Other phenethylamines could be usable such as 2C-B and 2C-D. DMT might also be a good choice at doses below 40-50mg of freebase (sub breakthrough doses). Psychedelic mushrooms may also be possible at a low dose (titrate up) in addition to: 4-AcO-DMT, other tryptamines that have a shorter duration. I would stay away from NBOMEs, DOX series, LSD and analogues like LSZ/AL-LAD, 2C-E/P, and Mescaline.

As far as stimulants go, stay away from cocaine, or other drugs which also alter sodium channel receptor gating (Lamotrigine regulates NA voltage). Short acting stimulants are best. You should be able to use instant release amphetamine (Adderall IR, but I recommend dextro-amphetamine) and Ritalin (though I recommend Focalin aka the dextro enantiomers). Can't think of examples offhand but promotion of the SVA2 vesicle release could also precipitate seizures (levetiracetam inhibits release to function). Psychoactive substances which exert affinity as GABA A antagonists or induce re-uptake of GABA by neurons. You may find higher stimulant dosages are required as anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs) work by modulating/regulating neuronal activity.

I have experimented with MDA and MDMA a couple of times since diagnosis, never had a significant problem. AEDs change the nature of them and decrease the experience overall, they were not as enjoyable. Benzodiazepines are not recommended but you can take them once, maybe twice every week or possibly 10 days. Save them for when they are medically necessary (if/when you have another seizure), you will likely be given diazepam (Valium) or lorazepam (Ativan) if hospitalized. Stick with long acting benzos in this case, blood plasma concentrations which drop off abruptly are not recommended. Do not build a tolerance or become dependent again, that is among the worst things to do.

Opiates/Opioids slightly lower the seizure threshold but I have had no problem (Depakote and other GABA A re-uptake inhibiting drugs) may slightly potentiate the sedation though. Opioids such as Tramadol and the like which have particular affinity for induction of serotonin and norepinephrine release are questionable, be careful. I have not used NMDA antagonists (Methoxetamine/Ketamine) since diagnosis, and am not sure what modification of NMDA/AMPA/glutamate could potentially do to the seizure threshold. Seizures are essentially abnormal electrical activity in the brain which usually manifests as patterns/rhythms. They may become generalized and result in a tonic-clonic seizure as the activity potentially resonates and spreads across the cortex, temporal/parietal/occipital/frontal lobes and the cerebellum. That summarizes my knowledge of substance usage in epileptic subjects.

I have felt odd/dysphoria on some substances (high doses of cannabis but it was likely paranoia/anxiety, high doses of more selective kappa opioid agonists, prolonged stimulant use for more than one day and comedowns). When I have a seizure, I usually start by losing my short term memory (likely of temporal region origin) followed by change of my sense of touch/feeling (parietal) and then my vision (occipital region). Lights get brighter in my vision, shadows may become prominent or appear, everyday objects look novel. I then taste blood and feel it running down and pooling in my mouth (taste of metal). I lose my ability to speak/understand language after a tonic-clonic and lose my ability to recall/plan events.

It is a good idea to have short acting/rapid onset benzodiazepines on hand (etizolam but not sure of its anti-convulsive potential, alprazolam aka Xanax, lorazepam, etc). That is why you must not become dependent on them or misuse them at all. You will need them to work normally if something happens. Sublingual and IV benzos will abort a seizure and prevent more for occurring while they are active. Look into them especially long acting ones like Klonopin, but medical professionals may be hesitant to prescribe if you told them about your usage unfortunately.

Will epilepsy change your lifestyle? Yes. Will the AEDs suck as far as side effects? Yes. Stay positive, take action to prevent more seizures from occurring. You will get it under control, do not become depressed and hopeless like I did. Consider looking into starting a ketogenic diet. This post is comprehensive to say the least haha....I truly wish I had this advice available to me after my diagnosis!

Why I am qualified to say any of this? I am one semester away from earning my Neuroscience and Biology degrees. I am well versed in the scientific literature, I have spent many many hours crawling through research to learn. I have been diagnosed with epilepsy for almost 8 months and I am knowledge able on the subject. I conduct studies using EEG participants, including myself, and research electrical waveform reading discrepancies in epileptics versus neurotypical individuals. I also study autism and have been published in literature. I am well versed in organic chemistry, molecular biology, cognitive neuroscience, and (psycho)pharmacology.

I really hope that this helps you and anyone struggling with epilepsy. This is off the top of my head and impromptu, I have sources for all of this if you need them. This is most of the generalized knowledge I have on epilepsy. You may not find some of my experiences to be the same as yours, experiment wisely and with caution. Take time to get re-acclimated with your body.

As Clocktower stated, no one can give you advice with any degree of certainty. I definitely would not recommend using psychedelics, but if you end up doing so I would consider the advice I offered. I did not edit out the non-relevant parts of my posts as they may help you in regards to other substances. The point is that it is a risk, that is not up for debate. How much of a risk is up to you and you should ensure that you take appropriate steps to minimize any and all possible risk should you insist on taking LSD.

Last edited: