• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Employment Drug Testing While on Opiod Maintenance

In terms of unlawful discrimination in a workplace, the disability discrimination act allows exemptions in 2 cases - "fit for purpose", and "undue hardship" (or something like that - look t up!) eg - it would be legal to refuse employment of a person in a wheelchair if the job was impossible to do in a wheel chair without extensive workplace modifications that were beyond the means of the employer to reasonably achieve.

It's also OK to initiate performance management measures with an employee who is not performing their duties at an acceptable standard (like getting wasted at work). It's not OK to sack someone just because they are on methadone - you would have to demonstrate performance issues.

BUT in the real world people get the flick all the time in ways that are technically in breach of unfair dismissal laws. Talk to anyone in the hospitality industry!!

Also - if my babysitter had Desoxyn, I'd want to know where she got it - it's not available in Australia is it? Prescription meth woohoo!!

Yeh and to add to "exemptions" there are also employers who are either partially or totally exempt from the whole discrimination act. ADF, Groups and Clubs (eg. Women only Gyms) and there are more.

Also - if my babysitter had Desoxyn, I'd want to know where she got it - it's not available in Australia is it? Prescription meth woohoo!!

Touché! Yeh I've heard of cases of things like Desoxyn and Oxymorphone and things here in Aus but SUPER rare (probably only a handful of people (and mainly for experimental treatments and drugs for conditions which have no adequate current treatment, rather than for ADD and PAIN)). If a medication isn't available in Australia but your doctor thinks you require it you can go through a hard, lengthly and costly process with customs, TGA, state health divisions and others (in the case of S8 medications, S4 I think you can do by yourself in just a couple of easy steps) to setup an import from a country which supplies it. I tenaciously looked into it awhile ago for levorphanol, mainly just cause I was bored but it was way to much work for someone who would rather just kill the pain and keep watching simpsons in opiated, pain-free bliss.

After doing some searches on discrimination against those on opiod maintenance, I came across this PDF document titled: Unlawful Discrimination against Methadone Users: http://www.aivl.org.au/files/UnlawfulDiscrimination.pdf which lists who to contact in your state if you think you're being discriminated against. I would copy and paste a section from the pdf, but it's protected and I just spent 20 minutes trying all kinds of differnt things to copy text from it and gave up.

I understand that if someone doesn't like you being on methadone maintenance, they could easily find another way to give you the sack. Society sure sucks.

Touché! Yeh I've heard of cases of things like Desoxyn and Oxymorphone and things here in Aus but SUPER rare (probably only a handful of people (and mainly for experimental treatments and drugs for conditions which have no adequate current treatment, rather than for ADD and PAIN)). If a medication isn't available in Australia but your doctor thinks you require it you can go through a hard, lengthly and costly process with customs, TGA, state health divisions and others (in the case of S8 medications, S4 I think you can do by yourself in just a couple of easy steps) to setup an import from a country which supplies it. I tenaciously looked into it awhile ago for levorphanol, mainly just cause I was bored but it was way to much work for someone who would rather just kill the pain and keep watching simpsons in opiated, pain-free bliss.

I haven't heard of a single case of Desoxyn being used in Australia. I've Googled it, sporadically, ever since 2008, hoping that my shrink would fill out a form which would allow the importation of Desoxyn 5 mg in to Australia, the legal way.

And I'm sure that that document that opi-8 em' all also covers Subutex/Subuxone users, as well.