• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Emotional impact of dreaming?

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
I hope this is the right forum for this. basically, I’ve found that The emotional impact of dreams, especially after waking up, doesn’t correlate very strongly with the content of the dream. let me give you an example.
I once had a dream that I was about to be executed by a firing squad, don’t ask me why because I don’t know, but during the dream, it was a reality. it was terrifying, but when the dream was over I was fine.
Another time, I had a seemingly benign dream in which I ate at a restaurant and then started climbing some stairs. problem is, during that dream, I got an overwhelming/crippling sense of depression and despair, like I just didn’t want to be there. however, these emotions didn’t make sense because there was nothing horrible about that place.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I had another benign dream of walking through the woods on a late summer afternoon with A family member. I had the most intense sense of connection and meaning with them and with the surroundings that I almost cried.

Has anyone else noticed something similar with dreaming?

I can’t compare dreams to psychedelics since I’ve never tried psychedelics. however, i’ve noticed that sometimes dreams can cause me to develop a new obsession immediately after waking up. I always have an obsession with a particular scientific topic or substance, and I will research and ponder on that for months on end. usually, it’s triggered by me reading something that links to a practical purpose, but in some cases, it has been a random dream that ignited my interest.
Apparently, dreams can also trigger relapse in recovering addicts and I can definitely see why. although I’m only an occasional opportunistic cigarette smoker, I do get regular though extremely mild cravings to smoke. however, I’ve sometimes had a dream of smoking and it would be as if I actually got a nicotine hit. It would feel so real and I would wake up desperate for another smoke.
I’ve even had dreams of trying drugs that I’ve never tried before and would get cravings for those. for example, I once dreamt that I took dextroamphetamine and it was as if I felt the effects although I am yet to try a real psychostimulant. nevertheless, I woke up wishing I had some dextroamphetamine with me

Apparently, dreams can also trigger relapse in recovering addicts and I can definitely see why. although I’m only an occasional opportunistic cigarette smoker, I do get regular though extremely mild cravings to smoke. however, I’ve sometimes had a dream of smoking and it would be as if I actually got a nicotine hit. It would feel so real and I would wake up desperate for another smoke.
I’ve even had dreams of trying drugs that I’ve never tried before and would get cravings for those. for example, I once dreamt that I took dextroamphetamine and it was as if I felt the effects although I am yet to try a real psychostimulant. nevertheless, I woke up wishing I had some dextroamphetamine with me
Yeah, I've had many "using dreams" when I was in rehab and/or recovery. They never made me wanna relapse but they could be emotionally disturbing.

Once when I was in recovery for alcoholism and living in a halfway house (3 or 4 months into recovery), I had a very long and vivid dream about bar-hopping and drinking all night long. When I woke up I was relieved that it was just a dream, but get this -- I actually felt hungover for a couple of hours!

^^^i had a dream about taking E in high school and i woke up feeling really weird... i also had a dream recently about being on anti-psychotics, i actually had pills growing in my face as a side effect, i didn't feel good for a couple hours after waking up. the mind can do some crazy stuff. i've never really reacted to getting fake drugs in reality. but my mind can get tricked by dreams.

i had a dream in the last few months about my first ex girlfriend, and in the dream i was crying because i didn't have the life i imagined with her.when i was a teen.. i haven't cried about not being with her since i was a teen in reality and i mostly don't feel depressed that i'm not with her, but for whatever reason i was really depressed and crying in the dream. it felt pretty bad... i woke up and it really didn't bother me and i felt kind of confused i was so depressed in the dream.

Dreams are so cryptic that sometimes it's difficult for me to match the feeling with the content.

I've had this recurring one for years where I'm watching some trippy animated video online (like a 3D visualizer), but for some reason it feels absolutely terrifying and evil to me. To this day I still can't figure out what it means, because there's nothing inherantly scary about it.

Most of the time though, my more emotional dreams are usually correlated with something directly related to my waking life.

Sweet Dreams!!!
Dreamflyer
:sleep:

as I mentioned previously, some dreams have triggered my long-term obsessions with particular substances. I don’t know if it’s my subconscious, but there was one particularly exciting, though slightly eerie example. basically, I had recently heard about the antidiabetic glucose, lowering hormone adiponectin which has sometimes been incorrectly called the anti-obesity hormone. yes, it fights almost every obesity related disease but it does so partly, by promoting healthy and stable fat storage. The thing is, I didn’t know this at the time and I fell asleep, believe the hormone burns fat. I wrongly assumed that the decrease of adiponectin concentrations that occurred as people gained weight was responsible for declining metabolism and further weight gain. One day, whilst half asleep, I entered some sort of weird lucid dream where I was eating a huge tub of chocolate ice cream. out of nowhere, a strange thought came to me that I begun to wonder, what would happen if all adiponectin was suddenly knocked out of me and I continue to eat ice cream like that. I spontaneously said to myself something along the lines of “if you had no adiponectin and you didn’t eat, you would quickly wither away”. this dream really got to me. I just couldn’t ignore the overwhelming feeling and began frantically researching the role of adiponectin in metabolism and body fat. to my surprise, I found that my dream was right and adiponectin turned out to be an extremely powerful anti-lipolytic, energy saving, glucose lowering and glucose, destroying starvation hormone. even stranger, and more in line with my dream was that some studies of adiponectin knockout mice show that these animals lost body fat weight significantly faster and in larger quantities than normal mice when fasted. furthermore, transgenic mice, overexpressing adiponectin became much fatter than wild type. Mice when overfed, but despite this remained metabolically healthy and did not become insulin resistant

I can’t compare dreams to psychedelics since I’ve never tried psychedelics. however, i’ve noticed that sometimes dreams can cause me to develop a new obsession immediately after waking up. I always have an obsession with a particular scientific topic or substance, and I will research and ponder on that for months on end. usually, it’s triggered by me reading something that links to a practical purpose, but in some cases, it has been a random dream that ignited my interest.
Dreams I more equate with opiates than psychedelics, which are more equated to religious experiences.

I did have ~1/6 tab of 1plsd - micro dose level yesterday, but also I saw this video

and I dreamed I had one of these bikes and I was driving through some of the most complex urban scenery (with impromptu campsites under overpasses, and strange living spaces.

I used to roller blade a lot, even in stores, before they clamped down. it was like flying, and I used to fly a lot in my dreams with blades.
(As my bone density is down a bit, I've been avoiding roller blading :()

Having the power to get in and out of situations easily is one of my favorite dreams. In dreams we can instantly be in a new scene anyway, but feeling the surge of acceleration is an embodied feeling that is fun to explore.

I hope this is the right forum for this. basically, I’ve found that The emotional impact of dreams, especially after waking up, doesn’t correlate very strongly with the content of the dream. let me give you an example.
I once had a dream that I was about to be executed by a firing squad, don’t ask me why because I don’t know, but during the dream, it was a reality. it was terrifying, but when the dream was over I was fine.
Another time, I had a seemingly benign dream in which I ate at a restaurant and then started climbing some stairs. problem is, during that dream, I got an overwhelming/crippling sense of depression and despair, like I just didn’t want to be there. however, these emotions didn’t make sense because there was nothing horrible about that place.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I had another benign dream of walking through the woods on a late summer afternoon with A family member. I had the most intense sense of connection and meaning with them and with the surroundings that I almost cried.

Has anyone else noticed something similar with dreaming?
I've had similar and completely opposite experiences with dreams.

I used to have this horrible dream about a man that was kind of like a cross between a pilgrim and the Gorton's fisherman, You know a long like oil, slick coat type stuff and whenever I have the dream it was just very very bad like supernatural death. My whole family is going to die everything. I had these dreams from the time that I was about 7 or 8 years old until I was about 15 or 16. And the dread and the horror persisted throughout the entire day or even multiple days. Sometimes when I would have these terrible nightmares.

I've also had dreams where I've reconciled with an ex spouse and sometimes even though I know that it was a fake reconciliation. It wasn't real when i wake up, I still feel positive for the rest of the day.

And sometimes I get very depressed because I know it wasn't a real reconciliation.

Then there's the third type of dream, the you kind of high but not high and you can. Can sleep sort of but you caught in between this awake and dreaming and it almost imprints reality onto your brain. Like the daydream or the fantasy or the dream that you had. There's actually a feeling that you have met those people that you have experienced the things that you dreamed in your life. Even though you know you haven't, that is the weirdest of all.

Like one time I was having you know some really good fap fantasy, was pretty involved, and it was kind of in a dream state type fap situation. And I swear that the next day I remembered actually meeting up with the participants in the fantasy like they were real people and we had actually had a few or several dalliances.