• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Emotional differences in winter and summer

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
I guess we all know about seasonal affective disorder, taking the form of winter depression in most sufferers with a minority who suffer from summer depression. however, at least in the northern hemisphere, prolonged sunlight/daylight in summer and prolonged darkness in winter likely have significant effect on the mood and emotions of healthy people as well. i’d like to know how the seasons affect your mood and behaviour and whether this impacts your preference for certain drugs or drug use patterns. i’m especially interested in the impact of daylight length and intensity on these parameters.

Thanks in advance

personally, I can’t pinpoint exactly the extent to which the seasons affect me emotionally/behaviourally. I always have very poor stress resilience and emotional instability so regardless of seasons, even small positive or negative events can dramatically affect my well-being anywhere from days to months. nevertheless, I’ve noticed a general seasonal pattern over the past years. in summer, my mood is generally stable with fewer fluctuations throughout the day.. assuming everything is going well, I feel rather happy/content. interestingly, whilst I’m a daily caffeine user, I have much less desire to use caffeine but also massively reduced desire to use my favourite drug nicotine, which I only get on occasions but constantly crave. furthermore, I’m generally less introspective/Spiritual, and I contemplate life less.
On the other hand, in winter, mostly the opposite is true. my baseline mood is generally slightly lower but the magnitude of emotional fluctuations throughout the day are greater. of course, my need for and enjoyment of caffeine and cravings for nicotine are massively increased. as expected, I’m slightly more sensitive to negative emotions in winter, but it is positive emotions that seem to be much more strongly affected. for example, the disappearance of a negative situation or anticipation of a positive event regularly gives me an exaggerated sense of excitement. likewise, the mild caffeine buzz or nicotine rush are considerably more euphoric than they would be on a summer day. in the darkness of winter, I often feel a sense of what I can only describe as spirituality/Introspection. whilst generally pleasant, this feeling occasionally has components of sadness, but strangely, this feels therapeutic as I always end up feeling far better afterwards and usually results in me making plans to try and escape whatever stress I’m currently in.

does anyone else have different drug preferences or drug use patterns in winter and summer
Back when I was regularly using, I preferred to use trippy or stimmy drugs in the summer and downers in the winter for the cozy feeling.

The summer heat and sunshine would add to my euphoria on mdma too. Back when I had MXE and pregabalin, those could be enjoyed anytime

I often feel a sense of what I can only describe as spirituality/Introspection. whilst generally pleasant, this feeling occasionally has components of sadness, but strangely, this feels therapeutic as I always end up feeling far better afterwards and usually results in me making plans to try and escape whatever stress I’m currently in.
It's strange how I can feel a happy memory (a moment I shared with a loved one) that leads to a negative feeling (such as the person no longer being alive or in my life), and on the other side how a sad/bad memory (such as a memory of a loved ones troubles or bad experience) can lead to happiness (they shined in overcoming it, they used it as a way to become stronger, etc.).

Edit: I had these ideas just recently, and thank you for giving me the opportunity to share it with others. I might have forgotten it over time, but you reminded me of it and it helps to share with others.

My father was a professor who did quite a bit of research on seasonal depression disorder (I believe was the coined phrase at the time), hehe legend has it he got a grant for a top notch hydro system after gaining some traction in that department. (I mean no expenses spared, automated, co2 etc.),

NOW ON TO THE TOPIC - You seem to have a pretty firm grasp on how season affects mood, YOURS in particular as we are all different. Mood swings in the winter, a normal human would consider a slight ssri maybe? Personally I would say if your mood fluctuates more in the winter you will probably gravitate towards drugs that make you "feel less, or numb you" as it is your way of treating the mood swings. Take the peak highs and the rocky lows away via escapism and I would expect less mood fluctuation.

Whereas in the summer I would guess things like pyschedelics that make you "feel more, or offer insight, help socially" would be more summer orientated for you.

Is that at all accurate?

My father was a professor who did quite a bit of research on seasonal depression disorder (I believe was the coined phrase at the time), hehe legend has it he got a grant for a top notch hydro system after gaining some traction in that department. (I mean no expenses spared, automated, co2 etc.),

NOW ON TO THE TOPIC - You seem to have a pretty firm grasp on how season affects mood, YOURS in particular as we are all different. Mood swings in the winter, a normal human would consider a slight ssri maybe? Personally I would say if your mood fluctuates more in the winter you will probably gravitate towards drugs that make you "feel less, or numb you" as it is your way of treating the mood swings. Take the peak highs and the rocky lows away via escapism and I would expect less mood fluctuation.

Whereas in the summer I would guess things like pyschedelics that make you "feel more, or offer insight, help socially" would be more summer orientated for you.

Is that at all accurate?

Thank you for that insight. I think your analysis would have been quite accurate if I was a normal person but my preferences are a little different. I actually really enjoy the enhanced emotionality of winter much more than summer as I don’t have seasonal depression and it’s mainly positive emotions like excitement and euphoria which are dramatically enhanced.
When it comes to drug preferences, my choices are limited as I am a somewhat practising Muslim so intoxicants, which have potential to impaire judgement at common doses are off-limits for me.
Nevertheless, I guess we have slightly opposite preferences. in summer, I prefer more calming/Relaxing things like herbal tea and supplements. The stimulant effect of caffeine and the extremely rewarding effects of nicotine appeal to me much more in the winter, where they help lift morning fatigue or act to complement the bursts of energy I get later on in the day. Regarding psychedelics, maybe I’m ann unusual case. I made a thread about this, but basically I’ve always had a severe innate fear of and aversion to psychedelics and whenever I read about their effects I feel extremely depressed and lost. Strangely, I’ve always had an innate love for psychostimulants, particularly caffeine and nicotine, since I was a child and I still get random and very strong urges to try things like methylphenidate, amphetamine or selegiline. I don’t think anyone believes me when I tell them this, but I actually knew how nicotine would feel when I was about nine years old, although the first time I tried it I was about 15. I used to be slightly interested in trying an SSRI antidepressant for my chronic stress, but I don’t like the idea of being emotionally numb and especially to reward. i’ve heard that many people develop sexual dysfunction and worsening anhedonia as side effects of these medications. I actually experienced a few months of anhedonia which followed a period of particularly severe chronic stress so I will definitely never consider a mood stabiliser or SSRI again.

It's going to be pretty difficult to differentiate primary influencers like temperature, UV exposure and ocular light intake from secondary factors like - being inside for longer periods of time during winter, for instance.

I believe this latter concept is a huge reason for increased drug usage in winter. The COVID19 Pandemic has taught us a lot about this phenomenon, as drug usage spiked globally during the pandemic as folks were stuck inside without their usual diversions.

I don't believe I experience anything like Seasonal Affective Disorder, so it's hard for me to say. I'm also not really a normal subject, as I was already a daily Heroin user before I'd fully finished puberty. My life was defined by regulating my own emotions when I decided to regulate them. The outside world meant a lot less to me than I feel it would for another person. I'm 32 and I'm only starting to learn about "normal" life.

I believe if we look at this from a biological perspective, I would say that humans are fairly masterful at residing in regions inhospitable to our specie. I think we adapt to our environments. That takes time. They say 50% of white people who went down to work on the Panama Canal would die from illness within 1 year. Obviously there are natives there who can handle the climate and with immunity to certain things.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Seasonal Affective Disorder is actually driven by secondary factors like being inside with little to do for too long. That is my opinion, but I' sure I could be mistaken.

I tend to get more down/depressed and more often when it is cold and overcast out for a while. Maybe 2-3 days and I am drained. I also find that I tend to dose more in these "low" spells.
For the past few years I have been studying indoor light options to rectify the issues attributed with being indoors always or just nasty weather out that lasts for weeks/months. I should have them within the week. Will report back what I personally find when used but has to be subjective and this could take quite some time to come up with any half ass accurate results so....

I think everybody has seasonal affective disorder and that it's only a matter of degree. My girlfriend has it bad, and her light does improve my mood in the winter.

To speak to melancholy making you feel better on the other side of it. My English teacher once woke me up from a daydream by suddenly saying, "(my name), what is melancholy." I started and mumbled, "A happiness that hurts?" Not great, but kinda, he left me alone after that.

I always wondered why some ladies would wallow in a sad movie when life hurts enough. Now, especially now that I'm older, I notice that I love sad songs sometimes. You do feel better after, even if you didn't feel bad to start. Loved the rocking Dead songs as a teenager. Still do, but love me a Jerry dirge now as well. ;)

I think everybody has seasonal affective disorder and that it's only a matter of degree. My girlfriend has it bad, and her light does improve my mood in the winter.

To speak to melancholy making you feel better on the other side of it. My English teacher once woke me up from a daydream by suddenly saying, "(my name), what is melancholy." I started and mumbled, "A happiness that hurts?" Not great, but kinda, he left me alone after that.

I always wondered why some ladies would wallow in a sad movie when life hurts enough. Now, especially now that I'm older, I notice that I love sad songs sometimes. You do feel better after, even if you didn't feel bad to start. Loved the rocking Dead songs as a teenager. Still do, but love me a Jerry dirge now as well. ;)

Yes, I wonder if it works bye triggering empathy systems in the brain while simultaneously allowing want to reflect on their own current state in life. of course, it’s only good when it occurs occasionally.

Great answers so far, thanks everyone.
Does anyone have much greater appreciation for food or a desire to binge eat in winter? weirdly, in summer, I eat because I have to eat, and if I skip meals I suffer from hypoglycaemia like symptoms although I’m not a diabetic. I still enjoy food, but only if I’m really hungry. On the other hand, in winter, I never get these symptoms of weakness in the arms and legs and shaking if I don’t eat. however, I do get much more hungry and the pleasure of food is much greater so I often eat for the sake of pleasure.

Yes, I wonder if it works bye triggering empathy systems in the brain while simultaneously allowing want to reflect on their own current state in life. of course, it’s only good when it occurs occasionally.
I can get into sad songs more than occasionally. I think it does make you reflect on meaningful strong emotions, but when the song is over it's all gone and you get a release. The "tension/release" formula.

Neuro- Well the research done was unfortunately limited to testing one variable on people who professed to having seasonal depression; regardless of diagnosis.

The variable was whether having living plants inside your house would decrease seasonal depression.....The results were relatively significant with most people reporting that plant life in the house did indeed help seasonal depression.

How that helps you? Idk. I apologize for missing that you were a devout muslim therefor intoxicants are not so much a factor.

We seem to be on opposite poles, I am a downer guy who does not enjoy the increased emotion associated with winter for a # of variables such as dexmeth mentioned.

Neuro- Well the research done was unfortunately limited to testing one variable on people who professed to having seasonal depression; regardless of diagnosis.

The variable was whether having living plants inside your house would decrease seasonal depression.....The results were relatively significant with most people reporting that plant life in the house did indeed help seasonal depression.

How that helps you? Idk. I apologize for missing that you were a devout muslim therefor intoxicants are not so much a factor.

We seem to be on opposite poles, I am a downer guy who does not enjoy the increased emotion associated with winter for a # of variables such as dexmeth mentioned.

Although I am blind, I guess having plants in the house would be beneficial somehow.

Interesting you brought up my faith as I actually created a thread about Islam and my drug use in the Philosophy and spirituality forum. unfortunately, I didn’t get many good replies there but basically I’m on a quest to find out which psychoactive drugs are not intoxicants. i’m doing this because muslim scholars or devout Muslims are very unlikely to carry out such investigations as they would rather discourage drug use altogether. nevertheless, I fully understand why you enjoy CNS depressants, i’m assuming benzodiazepines and barbiturates etc, I can imagine how the emotional numbing, relaxation, euphoria, and maybe even temporary memory impairment and sedation can feel beautiful under certain conditions.

Also, I should say that I consider myself a practising rather than devout Muslim as I only do the basics like prayer and fasting and try to have a good relationship with God.

Wow you are blind and I am a really shitty reader because I somehow missed that. I suppose the plants were mostly a visual thing.

When I was young I enjoyed CNS deppressants quite a bit, I don't know about any more in the winter than the summer. But it is grey outside for about 8 months here.

Thank you for explaining the difference between a devout and practicing Muslim as eliminating ignorance is always a positive step.

I am Catholic, not really practicing or devout...Just try to keep a good relationship with god and the cosmos.

Best of luck in your research as it seems it could be truly beneficial to a larger community.

Wow you are blind and I am a really shitty reader because I somehow missed that. I suppose the plants were mostly a visual thing.

When I was young I enjoyed CNS deppressants quite a bit, I don't know about any more in the winter than the summer. But it is grey outside for about 8 months here.

Thank you for explaining the difference between a devout and practicing Muslim as eliminating ignorance is always a positive step.

I am Catholic, not really practicing or devout...Just try to keep a good relationship with god and the cosmos.

Best of luck in your research as it seems it could be truly beneficial to a larger community.

No problem. Thanks for the kind words and all the best to you too.
God bless you.

does anyone else have different drug preferences or drug use patterns in winter and summer

back when i used to do coke, i usually only did it in the winter - barely ever did it in the summer - a couple reasons why - longer nights, so i feel like a loser much later when the sun comes up, less to do, and i didn't like to be hot while doing yayo - definitley a winter sport if you ask me

and then i prefer to trip in the summer because you can go outside

back when i used to do coke, i usually only did it in the winter - barely ever did it in the summer - a couple reasons why - longer nights, so i feel like a loser much later when the sun comes up, less to do, and i didn't like to be hot while doing yayo - definitley a winter sport if you ask me

and then i prefer to trip in the summer because you can go outside

Never done cocaine before, but definitely sounds like a good drug for the winter.

this is probably just me, but I’ve noticed I can get temporarily conditioned to like or hate a particular season based on events that happened to me. for example, despite usually preferring winter, an extremely negative occurrence/Shock such as unexpectedly poor performance at university could make me uncomfortable about that season and be glad that it’s gone. this is usually tied into the fact that The stressful issue is being resolved, But my brain somehow makes a non-existent connection between that and the seasons. thankfully, this doesn’t usually last long and by the next year i’m happy for the winter again.