Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ego Loss Vs Ego Death

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
I often hear the terms ego loss, ego death, etc being used interchangeably. While I don't have a problem with that since words have different meanings to different people, I'd still like to talk quick about why I think people should look at these as two separate experiences.

An Ego Death experience to me is trip where the subject fears they are actually dying until they loss complete contact with their ego. Ego Loss is simply the act of being disconnected from your ego but can happen any number of ways. Ego Death is a way to Ego Loss, just often a rough way caused from the subject resisting the experience.

For example, my one and only experience on Salvia was a complete ego loss experience. I packed way more 20x than I should have and all I had time to say was "this shits fucking me up" before I was in nothing but black. At this moment there was nothing, no awareness of anything just black with a spec of light off in the distance. The light started moving closer and closer until I could see that it was a birds eye view of me laying on the bed in my room convulsing, I could see myself and my friend scared in the corner. As soon as I realized what I was looking at I shot back into my body.

The above experience had zero elements of an Ego Death. I never felt like I was afraid or dying, or fight it, simply because I had no time to. The dosage and speed of onset made it happen at lightning speed which gave no time for any of that.

I've also had experiences with complete ego loss that were slow but I was also at complete peace and acceptance with what was happening.

So yea to me they are two rather different experiences and should be looked at as such. I look at Ego Death as beneficial but also a sign that one should maybe work on being more prepared for the next experience. Ego Loss is the goal but you don't have to feel like your dying to get there ;)

-GC

I think they are the same. I've had many ego shattering experiences with high doses of high potency sativa. I've only felt like i was dying a handful of times, there was a lot of fear most of the time but it was more about losing my sense of self rather than losing my life.

I've had too many ego death experiences to count and i didn't really know what i was doing to myself until a few years ago after i stopped smoking. I was shattering my ego about every other day for a year, it was painful at the time but i felt like i came out an alright person for it.

I'd hoped the "ego death" threads had all died, but alas, one seems to still be kickin'.
Play nice y'all
Things got pretty nasty last we "discussed" this subject.

Ego loss are major fractures to parts of the identity, but with the process there is somewhat a knowing of your identity being picked apart. Ego death on the other hand, you know something big is coming but don't know what the fuck is actually going on. Plus the ego-death gives a prolonged newborn to earth feel. Not everlasting though.

Ego loss are major fractures to parts of the identity, but with the process there is somewhat a knowing of your identity being picked apart. Ego death on the other hand, you know something big is coming but don't know what the fuck is actually going on. Plus the ego-death gives a prolonged newborn to earth feel. Not everlasting though.

nicely put

So I had what I came to realize (just the other night on 500 mics of ald 52) that I experienced a textbook ego death on IV 4 ago dmt. I made a thread about it. I ended up in purgatory. It was terrifying. My friend became a relfection of myself. He was my ego/ and I had to let go of him for me to move to paradise. So I could have left him there. But I just went and did my own thing while he laid in the tent (and had ego death as well) I accepted my death, that my time had come and to let go. Once I let go it was pure peace. Total bliss, Nirvana, heaven. It was no longer the hell or purgatory I was in before taking the selfless route of accepting the death. There was visions of everything, the eternal cosmic consciousness. I was gone. Then I was reborn. It was a frightening and beautiful experience. It actually didn't click in to me that it was ego death until I tripped on ald 52 like I mentioned

I also had an interesting thought about being selfless and letting go of the ego, and taking the selfless route and attaining paradise....It reminded me of Jesus. What if the story of Christ was an ancient story symbolizing that experience? Who knows, maybe someone ate some infected grain without getting ergot poisoning, or had a near death experience. I don't wanna start an argument or anything if anyone is religious. I just thought it was interesting

I also had an interesting thought about being selfless and letting go of the ego, and taking the selfless route and attaining paradise....It reminded me of Jesus. What if the story of Christ was an ancient story symbolizing that experience? Who knows, maybe someone ate some infected grain without getting ergot poisoning, or had a near death experience. I don't wanna start an argument or anything if anyone is religious. I just thought it was interesting

I think you're right. It seems that most religious figures are formed by mystical experiences/states, either spontaneous or attained through some form of meditation. You don't really need psychedelics to achieve something like an "ego-death" experience - just a human brain/mind!

OntarioGuy
Cheers, from Ontario too. ? You?re right on the mark with Christ, although most scholars in that area agree JC was a personified idol in a mushroom cult...look up John Allegro and JR Irvin.