• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Efficacy of Valdoxan/Agomelatine, in contrast to Effexor?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Anyone have experience of this med?

I know it's not licensed is the US, but maybe some folks know it by reputation?

I also know effexor can go up as high as 375mg, where as valdoxan is limited to 50mg.

I know you can't compare mg for mg, but proportionality, effexor seems to go much higher.

Any input?

The stretch of active doses is a result of a lot of pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic factors. Of course highly selective compounds usually need much smaller doses to produce a desired effect as they selectively bind to a target receptor(s), however, that's definitely not a rule, in theory you can have a selective and yet pretty weak ligand at your target receptor. Anyway, venlafaxine and agomelatine have very different modes of action, venlafaxine is an SNRI (serotonin-noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor) while agomelatine is a melatonin agonist, so there's really nothing you can make out of their active doses.

If you do try agomelatine over a period, you may want to consider having regular checks done on your liver function via blood testing as it can be hepatoxic. Presumably much more so in conjunction with any other liver stressing things you may consume.

in terms of agomelatine efficacy, is it known as a potent AD?
i had read some reviews criticizing it in this regard, but then some personal feedback, saying it was highly effective.

cud we contrast n compare cymbalta to effexor, for those with experience of either/each?

in terms of agomelatine efficacy, is it known as a potent AD?
i had read some reviews criticizing it in this regard, but then some personal feedback, saying it was highly effective.

You can't really call it a "potent" antidepressant because the way it works is completely different from all other AD's. It didn't really work for me, personally (Agomelatine/Valdoxan is indicated for treatment-resistant depression where I live; and yes, doctors advise you to regularly test for liver toxicity)... Servier's previous offering, Tianeptine, was a far superior product IMO.

cud we contrast n compare cymbalta to effexor, for those with experience of either/each?

Cymbalta has a greater effect on noradrenaline reuptake than Effexor. While I never had Cymbalta, I did get prescribed Milnacipran and later Reboxetine, which are even more selective for noradrenaline (indeed, Reboxetine does not have any significant affinity for the serotonin transporter at all). I never had problems with sexual side-effects on Effexor, whereas Milnacipran/Reboxetine gave me really odd ones testacular pain and even "strange" (slightly painful but also slightly intensified) orgasms. From what I've heard, Cymbalta may also cause these, although it seems to be much rarer.

You cant compare effiacy of any drugs of differened types, response is completely individual, it still falls under the weaker not much stronger then placebo antidepressants imo, which doesnt mean they arent stronger then placebo which poops out after 6 months and ads are usually reported to stop working after 5 years, proving they do work even tough in studys they dont really beat placebo.

Yeah, valdoxane is more or less just a money printing machine for the manufacturer in my eyes, with a rotten liver here and there as collateral damage. Look at the molecule and then compare it to melatonin, which is 1) endogen and 2) dirt cheap.

The half life of valdoxane is around 1-2 hours. Now imagine this chemical being in your system for 24/7 like most antidepressants, and these usually don't damage the liver ...