• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

effexor

relaxation001

Greenlighter
Is anyone on Effexor XR for anxiety? Likes, dislikes? Any bad side effects? Dr wants me to try it but I'm too scared of all the side effects. I've been on other SSRI's and they were all horrible. Had such bad side effects that I couldn't handle. Dr. said this works differently - more on the GABA and I could do well on it.

I don't know what your doc is telling you but he's full of shit saying it's more on the GABA

This is literally copy pasted from the Pharmacology section on Effexor:
Venlafaxine is usually categorized as a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), but it has been referred to as a serotonin-norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor (SNDRI). It works by blocking the transporter "reuptake" proteins for key neurotransmitters affecting mood, thereby leaving more active neurotransmitters in the synapse. The neurotransmitters affected are serotonin and norepinephrine. Additionally, in high doses it weakly inhibits the reuptake of dopamine, with recent evidence showing that the norepinephrine transporter also transports some dopamine as well, since dopamine is inactivated by norepinephrine reuptake in the frontal cortex. The frontal cortex largely lacks dopamine transporters, therefore venlafaxine can increase dopamine neurotransmission in this part of the brain.

Venlafaxine indirectly affects opioid receptors (mu-, kappa1- kappa3- and delta-opioid receptor subtypes) as well as the alpha2-adrenergic receptor, and was shown to increase pain threshold in mice. When mice were tested with a hotplate analgesia meter (to measure pain), both venlafaxine and mirtazapine induced a dose-dependent, naloxone-reversible antinociceptive effect following intraperitoneal injection. These findings suggest venlafaxine's seemingly superior efficacy in severe depression as opioids become increasingly used as a measure of last resort for refractory cases.

says nothing about GABA-receptors

you're right. He could have been talking about serotonin. I wasn't interested in this drug at the time so I wasn't paying much attention. I know he was talking about the differences between SSRI's and SNRI's because I was so against trying another SSRI.

Im on effexor. It does nothing for anxiety.

Its horse shit.

My doc said it was for both depression and anxiety. Its marketing and an excuse to throw a placebo at you hoping it works.

The theory is that once your depression is under control then you sleep better then your anxirty hence is better.

No one I know thats on this has had any relief from anxiety despite it being top notch for depression.

It truly is a life saving drug in terms of depression.

That does not make it work for anxiety.

Its rubbish. Even my gp admits its bs.

The thing that works for anxiety is working through it in your own way with some psychological help or CBT plus a short script of valium on the odd occasion you are too crippled by it to live a normal life.

Im on effexor extended release 75mg and am curious how it will react if if mixed with cocaine and alcohol together

Its a small dose. It doesnt do much tbh. Im on 150mg. Have done all sorts of combos and not had a huge difference.

Im on effexor. It does nothing for anxiety.

Its horse shit.

My doc said it was for both depression and anxiety. Its marketing and an excuse to throw a placebo at you hoping it works.

The theory is that once your depression is under control then you sleep better then your anxirty hence is better.

No one I know thats on this has had any relief from anxiety despite it being top notch for depression.

It truly is a life saving drug in terms of depression.

That does not make it work for anxiety.

Its rubbish. Even my gp admits its bs.

The thing that works for anxiety is working through it in your own way with some psychological help or CBT plus a short script of valium on the odd occasion you are too crippled by it to live a normal life.

This is true I've had the same as Zeph
Am now taking Wellbutrin its been a week so let's see

Did you switch straight over or have a gap taper thing?

A taper
So decreased the effexor and increased dosage on the Wellbutrin
Apparently the Wellbutrin works on dopamine but I am not too clued up
I was just desperate to get something that would work