Effect of DUI on Employment

huntmich

Bluelighter
Can anyone tell me if DUIs generally are seen as a disqualification for employment? I recently got one, and I am applying for an engineering position. They are in the background check phase, and I am worried about what will happen if it turns up. Thanks

probably not an issue unless your job requires driving a company car or something similar that would make it an insurance problem.

First of all, where are you? I'm in the US, and found out all of this during my diversion program when I was busted for marijuana.

--> If asked 'have you ever been convicted of a crime?' you'll have to answer yes. If questioned about it, don't make excuses. Just say something to the effect of, 'I was young and foolish. I learned my lesson.'
--> It'll come out on a criminal background check. I hope you're not competing for this job with somebody who's equally qualified, but has a spotless criminal record. DUI looks better than, say, fraud, unless you're going for a job that involves driving a vehicle. But it is a mark on your record nonetheless.

In short, there are plenty of gainfully employed people who have DUIs and other crimes of similar magnitude on their records. But they might have had to make a few apologies, and might have had slightly poorer odds at getting any job that does background checks, which seem to be most nowadays.

DUIs are really common. They always say that it's better to disclose a conviction than to get caught NOT disclosing it. Either way, you are taking a risk. Was this a first time DUI? Couldn't you get it expunged through some first time offender program?

So they had never asked me "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?" They asked "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" to which I honestly replied "no." However, the background check came back today, and the conversation basically went like this:

Them: "We got your background check today, and we see a conviction in May."
Me: "Yep."
Them: "Will you be able to move to Minnesota to work with us?"
Me: "Yes, I discussed that with my probation officer."
Them: "Alright, congratulations, you have the job!"

BOOYA!! My first career-type position!

huntmich said:
So they had never asked me "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?" They asked "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" to which I honestly replied "no." However, the background check came back today, and the conversation basically went like this:

Them: "We got your background check today, and we see a conviction in May."
Me: "Yep."
Them: "Will you be able to move to Minnesota to work with us?"
Me: "Yes, I discussed that with my probation officer."
Them: "Alright, congratulations, you have the job!"

BOOYA!! My first career-type position!
Congratulations!

Congrats! I was just coming to say that there is (or should be) no avoiding DUI disclosure. Congrats again!

Good job on getting that job! I got a DUI over 3 and a half years ago, and it has truly been a thorn in my butt. I was suddenly unemployed about 5 months ago and that DUI on my record prevented me from getting 5 jobs that I applied for (I was lucky enough to find an understanding employer who hired me 3 months ago). I'm a college educated, well spoken, professional individual yet that DUI on my record was an instant red flag for hiring me. It sucks. It was a silly mistake (that taught me a huge lesson) that I made one regular Friday night. Even if the job application asks you if you've ever been convicted of a felony, the DUI still turns up on the background check. I have to wait 6 and a half more years till I can get it expunged from my record. Sucks. Moral of the story = Even if you've only had a few drinks and aren't "drunk" (I only had 2 martini's and a light beer when I got rolled), wait it out. It will have years of consequences!

Horns: Was it the DUI alone that prevented you from getting the jobs? Did you get all the way to the background check until they said "You have a DUI, we can't hire you"? How did it play out?

Yes, I firmly believe that my DUI was the reason why I wouldn't get hired. I'd ace my initial interview and get very positive feedback about my resume and qualifications. They'd tell me how they'd love to have me. Then I would get a call to go in for a 2nd interview (after my background check came through) and they'd say something along the lines of how something showed up in my background check and ask me to explain. After I would thoroughly explain, they'd ask me some other non-related questions then say that they'd get back to me. I'd either get no phone call at all or a call saying that they were going with someone else. A friend of mine works at one of the companies I applied at and she told me that they loved me but felt uneasy about my DUI.

So, to answer your question... No one ever said flat out "we can't hire you because you have a DUI." But my potential employers manner would go from excited and ready to have me fill out my tax forms to a "we'll get back to you" attitude.

social work, specializing in aiding adults with physical and developmental disabilities. I can logically see how anything on my record would be an alarming factor since I do work hands-on with people, but I have a perfect driving record besides my one discretion. As unfair as it seems to not be given a chance, I can't really argue. It was my bad. I just wanted to let people know that a DUI can prevent employment. It stays on your record for a very long time.