• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Effect of anti-psychotics and SSRI's on one's ability to get high

willybiscut

Greenlighter
Ok, so my friend was recently (within the past year) diagnosed with schizophrenia and is currently on 2 mg of Risperidone and 10 mg of Escitalopram. Recently, when using drugs (specifically adderal and oxycodone) said friend has felt little to no effects. With adderal the only aspect he could experience was the insomnia. In addition to this, when smoking weed, he gets very uncomfortable body sensations/paranoia. Before medication, pot was fine for him. But about 6 months in, this whole thing started. Could there be any cause for this? I've been piling through search page after search page and cannot find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

I'm not too sure about the interactions you mention, but I'll give an example of an interaction which I know occurs. It is that between serotonin releasing drugs (SRAs) like MDMA and SSRIs. SSRIs block the subjective effects of SRAs because they bind to and block the serotonin reuptake transporter (SERT). With SERT blocked, the SRA cannot 1) get into the neuron to a great extent; it normally is carried into the neuron by SERT, and 2) after some downstream effects that the SRA has on the neuron, SERT cannot reverse transport serotonin into the synaptic cleft to a great extent because it is blocked.

Antispychotics such as Risperdal are dopamine receptors antagonists. While the amphetamines such as adderall are reuptake inhibitor/releaser meaning that they increase dopaminergic signal so more dopamine can bind and activate (agonist) dopamine receptors. So basically by taking antipsychotic you are blocking the action of dopamine including that released by the action of stims such as adderall. The result is "cancelling out" so to speak the action of adderall at least to some degree!. Think of it that way: it is like riding a bike with one pedal pushing forward and the other pushing backward. A for antipsychotics and THC I have no idea: could just be placebo effect!