Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Editorial: Facing up to the failed war on drugs

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Editorial: Facing up to the failed war on drugs
May. 3, 2014

Finally, the U.S. government is waking up to the realization that it cannot jail its way out of a drug problem.
President Obama's Department of Justice last year stopped making the problem worse, easing mandatory minimum sentencing in some cases. Last week, it offered a relatively narrow window for retroactive review. The DOJ laid out criteria for a new and welcomed opportunity for inmates who have served at least a decade for low-level, nonviolent offenses to apply for clemency.

Decades of adherence to failed war on drugs policies has helped make the U.S. the world's largest jailer, with only 5 percent of the planet's population but 25 percent of its inmates. Of the nearly 217,000 federal inmates, half are incarcerated for drug crimes, according to the Bureau of Prisons. Yet drug usage has risen 2,800 percent since the War on Drugs began in 1971.

That absurd juxtaposition has prompted states, led by Washington and Colorado, to form a controlled revolt against marijuana laws, the low-hanging fruit of drug-policy reform.
But the federal government, until recently, has mostly ignored the clamor. Congress in 2010 finally ended a disparity in cocaine-sentencing laws that sent mostly African-American users of crack to prison for two years longer, on average, than mostly white users of powder cocaine. Congress, locked in dysfunction, hasn't made that law retroactive, or done anything else toward meaningful drug reform.

Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder are making an end run around the legislative branch by turning to clemency, the tool of the executive.
How far they are willing to go is an open question. Criteria for this clemency initiative are vague, requiring no "significant" criminal history and "demonstrated good conduct" in prison. Used broadly, about 7,000 or more inmates could be freed. Expect fewer.

In the meantime, Congress remains wedded to failed drug policies.

Members of Congress should wake up and realize drug-sentencing reform is a populist issue: More than half of Americans favor legalizing marijuana. And the issue is increasingly a bipartisan affair. Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a likely GOP presidential candidate, advocated to "shut prisons down" at the recent Conservative Political Action Conference. Sens. Dick Durban, D-Ill., and Mike Lee, R-Utah, are co-sponsors of the Smarter Sentencing Act, which would make retroactive the 2010 crack cocaine sentencing fix.
Obama and Holder, the first African-Americans to hold either job, speak eloquently about communities of color hollowed out by the racially disproportionate effect of the war on drugs.

They shouldn't be alone.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/article/20140503/OPINION/140508685/11608/OPINION

If the war on drugs has been a failure, then why can't I find high quality LSD or MDMA anymore. Is it that my hookups suck? Yeah, they probably do, but that's not my point.

If the war on drugs has been a failure, then why can't I find high quality LSD or MDMA anymore. Is it that my hookups suck? Yeah, they probably do, but that's not my point.

It's out there - and very high purity.

I hate to speak in clichés but, 'you just gotta know where to look,' and, depending on where you live, the supply is driven by the demand, which means that if you're living in a rural area, it'll probably be more difficult to find what your looking for.

There was a period of about 5 years where I was having extremely bad luck finding any good quality MDMA. That was a shitty time to want to roll because all I would end up getting was either pipes or RCs. Very frustrating.

Specific substances are obviously gonna fluctuate, but the point is that drug use on the whole isn't causing any less harm to society because the so called ''war on drugs'' is taking place.

A few years back there was a massive drought of MDMA in Australia, almost literally none of it was around and nobody knew why. There was speculation about precursors being banned in China, or changes in gangland politics - and of course the cops took credit. But the point is, a previously bountiful substance disappeared almost overnight. and what happened? Did people stop going to nightclubs to take drugs and dance? No - they just started smoking crystal meth (and drinking GHB) in the parking lot instead of popping pills in the bathroom. A big wave of meth addiction went through the club/rave/dance scene where it had previously had a much more underground presence. The cops were talking about how they were winning the ''war on drugs'' because there was less MDMA around, but all that happened is that a whole lot more people started using meth instead (or popping dirty pills full of meth and RC's, which were arguably worse, at least the meth was relatively pure), the scene went to crap, a whole bunch of lives got ruined, and the criminals made just as much money off meth as they did off MDMA (probably more).

But the point is, a previously bountiful substance disappeared almost overnight. and what happened? Did people stop going to nightclubs to take drugs and dance? No - they just started smoking crystal meth (and drinking GHB) in the parking lot instead of popping pills in the bathroom. A big wave of meth addiction went through the club/rave/dance scene where it had previously had a much more underground presence. The cops were talking about how they were winning the ''war on drugs'' because there was less MDMA around, but all that happened is that a whole lot more people started using meth instead (or popping dirty pills full of meth and RC's, which were arguably worse, at least the meth was relatively pure), the scene went to crap, a whole bunch of lives got ruined, and the criminals made just as much money off meth as they did off MDMA (probably more).

Damn - I never knew about this until now.

What I wanted to say though, is that the same shit happened in parts of North America.

From around 2008 to 2011, there were spots of the continent in which MDMA availability dried up in and around large urban areas, such as Toronto, Canada, which is the 4th largest city by population in NA, and pretty much all of Southern Ontario. Parts of New York, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and up into Quebec - all dry as hell.

Anyways, as a result, many people - including myself - resorted to partying and/or raving with research chemicals such as Methylone, Mephedrone, and MDPV. Others switched to Amphetamines, especially Meth in pill form ("meth bombs").

There was even a minority which decided to use OxyContin, as it tends to be less sedating than other opioids and pretty good for socializing.

This change in drug use ultimately resulted in a lot of new habitual users of RCs, Amphetamines, and Oxycodone. And of course, when the Amphetamine users couldn't afford or obtain anymore pharmaceutical Amphetamines, they switched to Meth. And when the Oxycodone (OxyContin and/or Percocet) users couldn't afford or obtain anymore of that, many of them are now using Heroin.

Meanwhile, the bureaucrats have been seeing this unfold, yet still act (at least the ones I've spoken with) as if they're clueless about why there's a lot more Meth and Heroin use.

Meanwhile, the bureaucrats have been seeing this unfold, yet still act (at least the ones I've spoken with) as if they're clueless about why there's a lot more Meth and Heroin use.

In the same way that they're all shocked by the boom in heroin addiction in the US after clamping down on pharmaceutical opiates. Same song and dance.