• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Edibles question?

I have a question regarding stored decarbed weed. I have some I've been storing for about 1 year, decarbed in my freezer. I have made oil from it every couple months by adding it to coconut oil and just heating it for 30 minutes of time not exceeding 229F in an immersion tank (I decarb it before cooking to only stink my house up once, I buy identical product from a single grow) so it usually comes out identical to the last batch. However after a year either my tolerance has increased or my weed is weaker, or there is some other factor I'm missing.

I have been using edibles now for almost 6 years daily and this is the first major tolerance shift I've noticed since maybe a month after starting, or my weed is degrading or I'm missing something.

Any thoughts?

Don't know how much you are consuming - but when I go on an edible binge I start off with 30mg THC and the next day I have to bump it up to ~50mg. Then it's an additional 10-15mg/day and I end up taking 1-200mg. I stop but then it also takes a few weeks for my smoking/vaping consumption to go back down to normal.

If daily consumption I think tolerance is playing a role. To test this out, pick up the cheapest bottle of THC oil at one of those glorious Cdn weed stores and take a specific amount.

If you can go about a week without THC of any kind it will knock your tolerance down (dunno by how much).

I would decarb an ounce at a time and store it in an airtight container at room temp.

Tom

I've been on a regular dose for 6 years it has gone down from 125mg 4x a day to 70 mg 3 times and I've stayed at that until the last 2 batches I made. Everything is scaled the same the weed is all from the same grow so the inconsistencies should be minor like an occasional slightly stronger or weaker batch.

I have upped my dosage for the last week back to 125mg and dosing 4 times which is barely noticeable. I'm certain my oil is weak but I'm in an isolated setting my nearest canabis store is hours away.

Thanks for the advice though Tom, I will get some lovely exactly measured government oil and see just how close my opinion of my oil is to reality. The original product tested at 12%thc 3%cbd not a wild seller on the shelves so I bought a lot cheaply and tried to store frozen decarbed.

the weed is all from the same grow
Often times the same grow doesn't mean much due to variations in size, harvest times, etc. The account for this, many legal producers are required to use a "batch" system, so each individual harvest has a unique identifier.

Some times even batches can have a wide variation in potency, but they generally are more consistent than the grow as a whole. Batch numbers help tremendously but even their potencies (flowers) can still have variations that are noticeable.

It's most likely your weed.

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. It was a single indoor grow and a single harvest of that grow. All the plants were clones from the same source and all grown together at once and harvested at once. The random sample that we tested showed 12%thc we did only three tests. I dried and decarbed the entire 12kg and ground it and stored it together. I could see if there was settling or separation in the storage.

Perception is such a fickle thing I could be imagining it is getting weaker and because weed is mildly psychedelic I might be having a reversed placebo effect. Is that a thing?

Potency consistency is a long standing issue with cannabis flowers. Perception, tolerance and how much you ate that morning are also factors that can contribute to this issue of consistency with results, however potency is a known universal issue with flowers. Even with the smallest batch (say a single plant for simplicity), you are going to have variances in potency from bud to bud. To account for this, medical and legal producers in most places are required to include the potency variance on their labels. Anyone buying from these dispensaries are well informed that their flower's potency may vary from bud to bud from a bag as small as a gram.

Currently, the most consistently potent marijuana products are isolates. They generally have close to 100% purity with a much smaller margin of error compared to flower. This makes them more ideal for consistent dosing. Scientist are also currently working on inexpensive ways to synthesize THC to have near 100% purity (with an extremely small margin of error) so that we can cheaply solve this problem of non-consistent potency.