Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Eden. Original Sin or Original Virtue?

Gnostic Bishop

Bluelighter
Eden. Original Sin or Original Virtue?

---------
http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/10/20/comparative-theodicy/
“Judaism preaches the Rise of man: and instead of Original Sin,it stresses Original Virtue, the beneficent hereditary influence of righteousancestors upon their descendants’.”
---------
http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/original_sin.html
From John Galt's speech, in Atlas Shrugged.
“What is the nature of the guilt that your teachers call hisOriginal Sin? What are the evils man acquired when he fell from a state theyconsider perfection? Their myth declares that he ate the fruit of the tree ofknowledge—he acquired a mind and became a rational being. It was the knowledgeof good and evil—he became a moral being. He was sentenced to earn his bread byhis labor—he became a productive being. He was sentenced to experiencedesire—he acquired the capacity of sexual enjoyment. The evils for which theydamn him are reason, morality, creativeness, joy—all the cardinal values of hisexistence. It is not his vices that their myth of man’s fall is designed toexplain and condemn, it is not his errors that they hold as his guilt, but theessence of his nature as man. Whatever he was—that robot in the Garden of Eden,who existed without mind, without values, without labor, without love—he wasnot man.
Man’s fall, according to your teachers, was that he gainedthe virtues required to live. These virtues, by their standard, are his Sin.His evil, they charge, is that he’s man. His guilt, they charge, is that helives.”

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Fatherwhich is in heaven is perfect.
Gen 3;22 And the LORD God said: 'Behold, the man is becomeas one of us, to know good and evil;

Do you see Eden as our Original Sin or as our OriginalVirtue?

Regards
DL

Who is John Galt?

Great book. I dunno, I hardly think about things that more than likely don't exist.

Who is John Galt?

Great book. I dunno, I hardly think about things that more than likely don't exist.

I do when, as in this case, what never existed has been used by the church to vilify and subjugate women forever.

He shall rule over you.

Regards
DL

Not sure this myth can be taken literally. I have some suspicions that Eden was an actual place where modern humans first appeared (were possibly genetically created) but that's a tale for another night.

As to your idea for discussion I would call it original virtue except for the fact that mankind was not and is not capable of sustaining virtue so it would have been better had we never tasted that fruit.

As to your comment of the subjugation of women I agree that it is pretty ugly and makes my above point.

I do when, as in this case, what never existed has been used by the church to vilify and subjugate women forever.

He shall rule over you.

Regards
DL
The church is disgusting for a variety of reasons.

He won't.

Last edited:
Not sure this myth can be taken literally. I have some suspicions that Eden was an actual place where modern humans first appeared (were possibly genetically created) but that's a tale for another night.

Yes please. That is as weird as woo and the supernatural. Think of the speed of light.b

As to your idea for discussion I would call it original virtue except for the fact that mankind was not and is not capable of sustaining virtue so it would have been better had we never tasted that fruit.

As to your comment of the subjugation of women I agree that it is pretty ugly and makes my above point.

Thanks but if you view the charity and other altruistic acts by most of us, I think you should see that we are maintaining some virtue quite well.

The chruch is disgusting for a variety of reasons.

He won't.

Muslims have taken that saying to heart but I think it good that most in the West have pulled back from a lot of that. Not the fundamentals and right wingers of course.

Regards
DL

Thanks but if you view the charity and other altruistic acts by most of us, I think you should see that we are maintaining some virtue quite well.

Regards
DL

I'm not totally convinced. I lean toward expediency knowing human nature from some experience. Not to say there are no acts that I might call virtuous.

I'm not totally convinced. I lean toward expediency knowing human nature from some experience. Not to say there are no acts that I might call virtuous.

Our altruism is generated by our so called selfish gene.

That is expediency as it gives us a better chance at survival. It is the cooperation part of or evolution.

It is logical that such a weak species would seek to cooperate instead of compete which is what causes victims and does not serve survival well.

Regards
DL

yeah true. Cooperation without wisdom leads to global climate change.

I live in Canada. A bit of heat I do not mind.

Unfortunately, desertification is even hitting some parts of Canada.

Then again, our tree line is heading north and opening up more land for us.

Regards
DL

Personally from the research I've done a big surprise is coming even for those who believe climate change is happening. There is plenty of evidence that in the past there was what we lovingly call abrupt climate change. I don't think we need to wait 100 years, or 30 years, or 10 years. If you have a heart's desire my advice is to drop everything and make it happen now, this year. Google abrupt climate change if you have an interest.

I wonder if GB puts

Regards
DL

after everything he types.

Its cool though. Wish I had a footer thing.