• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Ecstasy with AntiDepressants

Wow. JWills replied with every single argument I was going to reply with. Nice, not a single point is missing :) and probably much better worded than I would ever be able to
It's pretty clear that he didn't discredit your entire post. He said that your explanation for how SSRI's work was completely false and I somewhat agree with him, it was tenuous, but not completely false.

Actually (and this is really not important but I want to point it out) I meant that his explanation of the interaction between an SSRI and MDMA was false (should have said mostly false I admit, it isn't entirely as I elaborate below), not his explanation of how an SSRI works in the brain.

The muted roll is not because your body is used to high levels of serotonin, this is only (slightly) important when you take an SSRI over longer periods of time, but indeed because of the greater binding affinity an SSRI has for SERT compared to MDMA and more importantly because the SSRI is bonded in place before MDMA comes along, thus blocking MDMA's mechanism of reversing serotonin re-uptake, which in turn lessens the release of serotonin by MDMA dramatically, almost absolutely even.

This plays a much greater role than the tolerance to higher levels of serotonin. Your mentioning of the fact that tolerance to the higher serotonin levels plays a part too is however correct, when an SSRI is taken over longer periods, but MDMA releases such small quantities of serotonin when combined with an SSRI that this effect is not noticeable and certainly not in the first few days as tolerance shouldn't have set in by then. So I don't think it plays a big role compared to the SERT binding of an SSRI (I say I think because this I do not know for sure, it is just what seems logical to me, a layman, be it a well informed layman)

Last edited:
With Welbutrin?

recently a friend took 3 pills of ecstasy and felt NOTHING. THere was no euphoria/ high and there were no physiological reactions. No dilation in the eyes, no change in heart rate, no sweats, no dry mouth..... No! NO!! NO nothing. As a matter of fact, he took 3 pills in 2.5 hours and went right to sleep. NO DROWSINESS either. Wouldn't one think that there would be some sign of taking the drug? Oh, BTW, they were blue ladies. Any input??

QUOTE=JWills20;12425817]Hi there, it's not a weird question at all and actually a very important one! Antidepressants, when taken for long enough, block the serotonin release from MDMA completely dulling the experience. Since you're new to the ADs, the MDMA will still work because they haven't accumulated into your system yet, but given time they will strongly block the MDMA from working. You should focus on improving whatever problems you have while on the SSRI before rolling again.

Welcome to BL.[/QUOTE]

OK, so all the pharmacological facts say you indeed can't roll while on SSRI, but my personal expirience says otherwise. I rolled, and I rolled damn good, multiple times. I'm on escitalopram for two and a half years, and currently I'm on 15mg. The threshold is certainly higher, while my friends roll allready on half of tab, I need two to really start rolling, and it takes longer to kick in, but it is possible. Basically, you just need a higher dose to overcame SSRI's higher affinity for SERT. And no, what I felt was not dopaminergic effect of MDMA, I was rolling, and it was great. I do, however, discontinue escitalopram on the day I'm planning to roll, but only that day, cause I definitely don't want to go through withdrawal sindrom just because of rolling. As soon as I'm done rolling, which usually lasts two days, sometimes three (you now how it gets with raves, they last :)), I'm back on my therapy, and recovery is way easier, I don't have those midweek depressions, I'm just a bit sleepier than usual, but nothing that coffee can't handle.

Regarding wellbutrin, it is predominantly dopaminergic and noradrenergic reuptake inhibitor, so, if we go buy the book, it shouldn't have stopped your friend from feeling the effects of ecstasy. But than again, mechanism of action of wellbutrin is not quite well studied, so who knows... Did anyone else tried those same pills? Did they roll?

Sorry for any grammar and spelling errors, I'm not a native english speaker :)