• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Ecstasy lookalikes containing PMA are killing users

isthisincognito

Bluelighter
In 2011, PMA was linked to one death. This year there have been 23 deaths linked to the drug, research by BBC Radio 4's File on 4 programme found.

Prof David Nutt, a former government adviser, says a standard dose of PMA is between five and 10 times stronger than ecstasy.

And he says the risks of overdose are high because the drug takes longer to have an effect.

He said: "If you're used to having a sort of hit from ecstasy within 20 minutes or half an hour and you don't get this from PMA, then you think, 'Well obviously it was a bum lot - I'd better take some more.' "

Last year Gary Bass, 23, from Heswall, Merseyside, took tablets containing both MDMA and PMA. The drug was sold to him as ecstasy.

A friend of Mr Bass, who does not wish to be identified, tried to revive him on the night he died.

"The ambulance crew came in. They'd hooked him up to this machine and then it just started printing off a flat line, basically, and they said that he's dead already," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24581947

i dont like that they quote a prof david nutt as saying PMA is 5 to 10 times stronger than ecstasy. that makes it sound like it is 5 to 10 times better or more fun if you dont know anything about PMA. Lots of drug users equate stronger with better. A good case in point is when ever there are a slew of overdoses due to a fentanyl analogue showing up in the heroin supply, heroin users will scramble to try to get their hands of some of that "super strong dope going around" many not even realizing it may not be heroin at all. Plus dealers that sell those products use names or stamps like; Flatline, Death Dope, Widow Maker, Grim Reaper, Super, Double, etc.

It really is shitty that PMA gets put into the ecstasy supply. its very deadly and even if you survive its toxic and dysphoric.

Just another example of how prohibition does more harm than good. If MDMA and similar chemicals were legal then chemicals that are actually very dangerous and toxic could be banned and it would probably stick. Who wants to take something that is known to be extremely toxic with a very narrow effective versus overdose range when you could take something known to be relatively safe.

Some people who like to explore and push the envelope might experiment in that scenario. However, they could have pure chemicals, properly labeled, and use proper measurement equipment to make sure dose was known. Im all for drug legalization of pretty much everything but something like PMA should stay out of the hands of everyone but the most experienced and well educated brain chemistry explores.

Last edited:
I don't like that they quote a prof david nutt as saying PMA is 5 to 10 times stronger than ecstasy. that makes it sound like it is 5 to 10 times better or more fun if you don't know anything about PMA. Lots of drug users equate stronger with better.

That's an important point I'd like to reiterate.

I also concur with you on the point of prohibition being the problem, although I'm not convinced legalisation could be implemented. You couldn't just sell them at the local store, You'd need to regulate it, and how would you do that? If you use prescription services, you're still implementing a control that going to cause problems, you're just essentially shifting prohibition from one level to another.

In my mind you could fucking easily sell clean MDMA in a similar fashion to cigarettes and alcohol and so long as there was a public awareness campaign to go with it in terms of how to use safely I think while the situation may have plenty of problems there would be considerably less than in the current status quo. I am not saying I would advocate such a system over a more controlled and pharmacy like distribution (without needing a prescription of course) but I do believe either situation is vastly better than the current one.

The fact is that most people who have an interest in taking pills take pills, whether they are legal or not I don't think will drive up use dramatically. There will always be those that abuse the drug but the long term effects are surely lessened by taking a relatively safe drug in known doses frequently over a period of time compared to taking random doses of various less safe drugs at the same frequency. The fact is a lot of 'ecstasy' or MDMA users out there are so misinformed because other than the 'Just Say No' bullshit the only information they get about the drug is from uneducated users and dealers for the most part. If the drug were legalised in a sensible way then infinitely more users would come into contact with factual, HR based information about how to use the drug safely and not only would the russian roulette aspect be eliminated but I think over time attitudes towards the drug by most of its users would become more moderate and sensible.

I'm not sure I can see Ecstacy for sale in Tesco, somehow. But I feel the internet supply of RC drugs offer an insight into how illegal drugs might be sold except that perhaps through some sort of goverment supply or a goverment sponsored recreational pharmacist. I can kinda envisage a Credit Card system, with points based on what you buy & how much you use. Everything will have to be piss cheap to under-cut illicit supply chains.

With the amount of real MDMA they've busted in europe recently I wouldn't be surprised to see the availability of these top notch 150mg+ frequently great pills lessen.

I already think there's a lot of methylone crystal being showing up in the UK (all over) sold as MDMA, because its bk-MDMA I don't think people are that gutted or in some cases even realise but more and more PMA in pills too.

People need to be really sure of their source wherever they are buying from. With all these large MDMA factory busts I wouldn't be surprised if the authorities sell some on through undercovers to gain a further foothold in/knowledge of what's going on in the scene so they can bust other drugs and sources.

Rather Methylone than PMA!

Harry Shapiro, of the drugs agency DrugScope, says PMA has become increasingly prevalent after a crackdown on the chemicals needed to make ecstasy.

Some support for the theory that PMA would not exist in public if not for the illegality of MDMA & it's precursors!

This should go without saying but uhh... buy a testing kit.

^ i was just thinking the same thing.

why are people becoming more and more reckless with what they ingest? during the time i experimented with mdma (many moons ago); the risks of a non genuine pill was rare but a risk i was never willing to take. purchasing and possessing a testing kit is a privilege that we have access to to guarantee exactly what you are putting into your system, and also a great night out/substance experience. its such a small price to pay for total piece of mind.

...kytnism...:|

This should go without saying but uhh... buy a testing kit.
I literally say this to my rave buddies and really anyone who I know doesn't have kit and is dosing bunk beans any chance I get.
Hell for awhile I was even testin them for them. After bunk reults people stopped asking me. Today people just want to take "drugs" and get fucked up.
Half don't even know the first thing about mdma or what is being passed off as molly these days.