• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ear damage due to drug abuse?

pally pete

Bluelighter
Ez people, hope this is the correct section...

I've recently been diagnosed with a Patulous Eustachian tube https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patulous_Eustachian_tube

Just wondered how much of this is due to my 8 year heavy intermittent Benzo (Alsorts) & Opiate (Oxy, DHC, Codeine) addiction? As I'm sure I've read somewhere where there was links between anxiety, anti-anxiety drugs, Opiates etc

A quick read of the wiki link explains my condition quite clearly.

Cheers ;)

It's hard to say how you got this, I don't think anyone can really tell you if its from your drug abuse. I've never heard of this before and I've definitely never heard about it as a side effect of opiate abuse.

The wiki says substances that cause dehydration can cause this, so I guess if you didn't stay hydrated while on these drugs then the drugs indirectly contributed.

Your wiki link doesn't mesh well with abusing downers--those aren't known for major weight loss or dehydration. But those associations sound weak anyway.

More likely your case is iatrogenic, which is doctor speak for "fuck if we know". Drug abuse probably didn't help, but didn't cause it either.

But really, let's say you knew for sure that it was the drugs. What good does that do you? Is it rationale for quitting or hitting them as hard as you can?

The condition sounds obnoxious, but not terminal. Good enough reason to get/stay clean.

It's hard to say how you got this, I don't think anyone can really tell you if its from your drug abuse. I've never heard of this before and I've definitely never heard about it as a side effect of opiate abuse.

The wiki says substances that cause dehydration can cause this, so I guess if you didn't stay hydrated while on these drugs then the drugs indirectly contributed.

Your wiki link doesn't mesh well with abusing downers--those aren't known for major weight loss or dehydration. But those associations sound weak anyway.

More likely your case is iatrogenic, which is doctor speak for "fuck if we know". Drug abuse probably didn't help, but didn't cause it either.

But really, let's say you knew for sure that it was the drugs. What good does that do you? Is it rationale for quitting or hitting them as hard as you can?

The condition sounds obnoxious, but not terminal. Good enough reason to get/stay clean.
I should have mentioned I also have a condition called Parry-Romberg syndrome... A bit of rare one if anyone can be bothered to read - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parry–Romberg_syndrome

This has caused muscle and fat wastage on the left side of my head/face, which is the same side as my problem ear. Good chance this has caused/contributed to ear issue..

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Been trying to get clean for 7 years...

Now that one sounds like a real downer. And I think it's a safe bet that a wasting disease might be involved in a condition caused by wasting. Why would you expect drug use, given such a likely candidate?

I noticed the doctors over at Wikipedia suggest immunosuppressant drugs and heavy steroids. I don't know if that applies to you, but those are things you take seriously and don't mix freely with street drugs, although pills are definitely preferable, from an inflammation angle too. Downers probably worsen steroid side effects.

Anyway, I wish you luck, wish I believed the universe wasn't a cold pointless void, and you have something coming your way soon.

^ what he said
i've honestly never heard of benzo and opiate related hearing loss.
that is assuming you haven't OD'd before. i know of a few people who having survived particularly nasty overdoes have experienced profound hearing loss.

and luckily i believe in karma so i'm sure you've got some joy headed your way asap :)

I would say that this is way beyond what we can effectively help you with. You should really just make an appointment with a Ear, Nose and Throat or even just a Primary. We can't even effectively tell you what is going on in your body, let alone what was the catalyst was and furthermore the most appointment treatment.

Just be aware, you've done nothing wrong, but one of the things that makes Bluelight such a useful resource, is that it's run by drug users and it's a place where said addicts can provide that missing component of information that only experienced drug users can accidentally comment upon. We often times have a deeper understanding of the true relationship between humans and psychoactive substances, but MD's are still better at the other 95% of medicine that is not directly concerned with psychoactives.

Again, you've done nothing wrong, but I don't want people to get the idea that we're a suitable substitute for this sort of thing.