View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM & TCA's

chaoticc

Bluelighter
So today I decided to search and sift through BL threads to find out information on a dextromethorphan and a tricyclic antidepressant combo. I'm not looking for some 'serotonin syndrome' flame, as I am aware of what could happen when you mix shit with antidepressants.

However, a lot of people I know trip all the time on decent doses(600+) and they don't experience any bad effects, in fact they say they enhance the dxm experience. I myself have done it with effexor and it was great.

But what about tripping with a trycyclic antidepressant in your system? Are the dangers more or less compared to an SSRI? Does anybody have experience with this?

Last night I took 250mg of nortriptyline to help me sleep, and although I never take it or have it in my system, I did last night and the half-life can be anywhere from 18-90 hours? Just wanting some input on the idea of tripping tonight.. or when it would be safe to trip again.

I think its about time this thread got out anyway.

I know this post is old but id like to know too. places like drugs.com and rx list dont show a interaction but web md does. so we all know no dxm with ssri but what about tricyclic antidepressants?

TCAs still exhibit an effect on serotonin so taking it in conjunction with DXM will lead to similar issues as taking regular SSRI type antidepressants. I can not say for sure but I would think the interactions between the two drugs are way deeper then just "might cause SS" I would think a build up of serotonin in the synaps that doesnt get transported out becomes toxic to the nerve at some point or causes a similar neurological degeneration as chronic MDMA use.

I am not saying this is a fact or that they are similar in effect at all however, they both allow for more serotonin to be in the synaptic cleft and when things like that happen there is usually an effect on either the receptor binding sites or on the system as a whole just because there is a disruption in the normal flow of events. I would strongly advise against combining any type of serotonin agent with DXM as you risk damage to the nerves (my personal theory on the whole thing)