View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM Question

Specified

Ex-Bluelighter
I get seizures every now and then. my last one was a year ago so they dont know if i have epilepsy or just seizures.

My medications im on are

Rivaroxaban 10mg

Bisoprolol 10mg

Sodium Valporate 500mg (i'm thinking of chucking in Lyrica in the mix for extra protection but one doc said it's dangerous to mix lyrica with other antiseizures and another just handed it out to me like candy no questions asked so i have no idea what to do, to mix it or not)

is it safe to take DXM with all that info i just gave you. ahhh dont know how im gonna drink that shit again and the aftertaste not even coke takes it away.

oh and ive got a shitload of valium on hand if anything goes wrong.

A quick google yields that Rivaroxaban is contradicted with strong CYP3A4 inhibitors. Dxm is partially metabolized along a similar path. I’d wager there is some issue here.

Google also informs me Bisoprolol is for high blood pressure and erowid a faq says dxm raises blood pressure slightly and to avoid dxm (and stimulants) if you already have high blood pressure. Furthermore both dxm and Bisoprolol appear to be metabolism via CYP2D6 and CYP3A4...

Now I’m not knowledgeable on how they might interact but I’d wager there will be some contradictions... I’d advise caution if you plan on attempting to use dxm recreationally...

Though perhaps someone more versed in the subject will chime in

Seizures are a specific complication of DXM overdose. Seizures can impair consciousness, coordination, and other brain activity. A drug-induced seizure can lead to permanent brain damage due to dangerous changes in neuron activity that destroy brain tissue.

More information here :

Last edited:
No official data or research done on this one by myself, however given the fact that you have had previous seizures and are on the medications that you have listed... My gut feeling is that doing DXM wouldn't be a really good idea regardless of the dose. Interactions between different drugs can lead to all kids of trouble and I am of the opinion that mixing these meds with DXM is just not worth the risk. I hope that someone who is a bit more knowledgeable with this piticular situation is able to offer further information on this one, my times on DXM especially in the higher range of dose were far from awesome and I have a feeling that throwing it down with a couple of anti seizure meds would be a bad idea, especially given that you have not been diagnosed with either epilepsy or just having seizures. Tread carefully and with any luck someone will be able to provide more insight into this thread so in short I would advise against trying this out until another comes along with a more informed response, always better to be safe than sorry

Is it safe? Absolutely not.

If I was feeling less lazy maybe I could google some specific interactions but just looking at the information that's already been provided to you regarding enzymatic interactions and the like is enough to see that this combination is a terrible idea.

DXM is a particularly dirty substance and there are countless reports of people getting into trouble with unexpected interactions, the extreme end of which would be serotonin syndrome. I don't know if that's a specific risk with the medications you've listed but even if it's not, overwhelming likelihood is that this combination is NOT safe.

I do see this post is a little old now so hopefully caution and sense prevailed and you are OK.

Alcohol is pretty dirty too but in a different way, I would guess that it would be a far safer option, just try to be sensible and not drink too much. This is literally a guess though, I'd like to think a fairly educated one but alcohol might also be inadvisable.