• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids DXM, Prozac, and More Questions

xxxbambino

Greenlighter
so i've done dxm twice in my life both times while prescribed on prozac and word came around to me about serotonin syndrome.
the first time i consumed about 700mg, the second 800mg. (delsym right out the bottle both times)
both of them were pretty crazy trips, liked them both but the second one made me feel something almost like an ego death because of the dissociation and overall just being fucked up lol
so what i wanted to know is,
is serotonin syndrome a "one time and your brain is fucked for good" sort of thing? haven't had it happen to me yet (though i did have a little moment of "oh fuck i feel really stupid rn" during my second time but that faded away once i sobered up)
my tolerance seems pretty tanky but i don't want to push myself on that basis and regret it.
it's been 4 days since the last time i tripped and i wanted to trip again today for the sake of it being my last day off (vacation week)
been reading into it though and all i can say is that my case is a little too specific for me to be finding answers as solid as i need em, so, here i am asking yall firsthand
is it too ill-advised to do that to myself rn? or can i have some boosted fun

thanks for ya time boys

I mean id personally not want to experiance ego death for a good time.

update:
i did it
great day
gonna go clean for a while
ego death is a valuable experience
unpleasant, maybe, but valuable

Serotonin syndrome is more like the flu. Getting sick with influenza can be a stay-home-in-bed-for a few days thing, or a life-threatening, occasionally fatal thing.

Damage to your brain from serotonin syndrome is going to be from the serious fevers it causes--assuming you get to a hospital and they recognize what's happening in time, otherwise you risk permanent damage in the form of being dead. It's a major complication, and not something to play around with.

Your tolerance to either drug means dick in terms of serotonin syndrome risk, BTW. If tolerance makes you take higher doses of something, it puts you more at risk of complications.

There's still a lot of mystery about what triggers it, and why, so caution is strongly advised with any drug and combo that may cause it, like DXM and SSRIs. You can't know if you have some underlying issue that plays a part or not. Doing the same combo once may work out, and cause a syndrome the next time. It's always a risk.

So, skip the DXM if you're on SSRIs. You don't need to be dissociating anything if you're in treatment for a mental health problem anyway.

... So, skip the DXM if you're on SSRIs. You don't need to be dissociating anything if you're in treatment for a mental health problem anyway.
i appreciate this information! i actually enjoyed the dissociation quite a bit hahaha, i'm not really so much "in treatment" as i am prescribed the prozac and told to check in a few times a year
i try my best to research my drugs and calculate the risks for my own body knowing myself, and i only ended up at second plateau. perfect amount for the day; didn't hit me with the psychedelic introspective shit, a tiny hit of the "out of body" feeling, and a smooth comedown the rest of the day.
that being said it really satisfied the craving. i'm gonna let my body detox for a fat minute =D

[I'm scolding the world at large, including myself, a long-time sertraline eater, in this rant--it's not meant to be personal to you, OP]

See, that's the thing with SSRIs. They're really quite safe, and tolerated, and not very effective, perfect for general practitioners to suggest for anyone expressing some ennui about their suburban banality. Sometimes, it dampens those emotions, leaving you just mildly dissatisfied with everything.

But you are taking psychiatric medication, because you are in treatment. You went to someone with an MD, because you had a complaint, a mental health concern. They diagnosed you as suffering some psychic malady, and prescribed these brain-altering medications (changes that persist after you stop using them).

So it's not just the doctors, but also the patients treating SSRIs like a Dr. Scholl's shoe insert. "Hey, give it a shot, maybe it'll help with the back pain."

Really, for them to "work" you have to take them, regularly. And not be mixing with other recreational-dose-level drugs. Because you have mental health issues, and drugs are bad for that.

"But I like drugs! I want to do them all the time!" you say, and here at Bluelight, that is a totally fine attitude, shared by all of us (when done safely). OK, well, I guess your mental health issues aren't so pressing, right? If you had an Edvard Munch painting screaming behind your eyes all day, suffering terribly, you'd probably prioritize the meds intended to shut it up, over deciding how much cough syrup to drink, out of general boredom.

It's like the mood-dampening that SSRIs can cause, their apathy-inducing nature, extends all the way to the medications themselves. Meh, I'll just skip my psych meds for a week while I hammer my suffering brain with drugs. Meh, forgot to take them today, I'll take two tomorrow. Do they work? I dunno. Do you feel better? I dunno. Should you stop taking them then? I dunno, maybe. Whatever, you know?

If you could take or leave your daily psych meds with long-lasting side effects, including persisting sexual dysfunction, why the fuck would you keep taking it? Apathy in pill form.