View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

dxm polistyrex: polistirex removal?

Tryptamine420

Bluelighter
Would it be possible to use the cold water separation method on 6oz bottle of delsym and then remove the polistirex?
I know that a stron acid is needed and the dxm degrades in acidic solutions after the plastic is gone. Would it be possible to use sulfuric acid like in drain cleaner, then mix with milk of magnesia to bring down the ph level?

I have little knowledge of chemistry, but i am very interested. I would like to know why this would or would not work. Pleasae explain in detail any information.

Not what i am looking for. I have read through that thread a few times and it doesn't have a solution. I am trying to find a way to do this that i have not seen mentioned and disproved on multiple other forums.

Would adding sulfuric acid to the dxm polistirex powder, then using a double boiler to evaporate off the sulfuric acid work?

Or letting the powder sit in sulfuric acid, then add ammonia?

haha youre messin with things you dont have a clue about. i have never seen any type of method to remove polistrex from dxm. You perform an acid/base reduction (adding sulfuric acid and ammonia) on HBr, which is a totally different molecule. Just suck it up and drink it. Dxm is a dirty ketamine in my opinion.

LOL at this thread.

Just dose higher, bro. You're not going to have any luck.

EDIT:
If you don't know, polistirex is EXACTLY 1.5 times weaker, and lasts 1.5 times longer.

So if you want to take 356mg of DXM, take 534mg of poli.

I have heard dxm is like dirty k plenty of times b4. If i could find a connect i would deffinately buy k instead. Come to think of it i have never tried even looking for k, i wouldn't even know where to start. What are the street prices for k? I would love to make the switch.

I have also heard plenty of times that polistirex is weaker. I don't really have the cashflow to dose higher or i would. The main reason i am interested in getting rid of the polistirex is because there is alot more dxm per bottle and when i take the powder polistirex i get this strange feeling in my mouth, throat, and stomache from what i think may be the poli. It kind of feels like plastic. Although this may happen with hbr powder too, i have never done it.

Would adding sulfuric acid to the dxm polistirex powder, then using a double boiler to evaporate off the sulfuric acid work?

Or letting the powder sit in sulfuric acid, then add ammonia?

No, polistirex is a polymer-- IIRC it's essentially polymeric styrene, the same stuff that comprises styrofoam. You probably won't be able to degrade it into an instant release formula in vitro, its in vivo metabolism is complex and hard to replicate artificially.

Edit-- apparently polistirex is a sulfonated styrene-divinylbenzene copolymer complex. Found via google. I wouldn't even know where to begin telling you how to deal with that mess. :D

Last edited:
You wouldn't save much. Delsym is overpriced, even for normal dosage. I used to get like 500ish mg of poli for like $4, but now I order it online. I buy 10 grams for $20.
Well I used to, but when my spelling became disasterous, I realized it wasn't worth it. Nor is getting addicted to K again.

Zodiakk, i have noticed over the last few months my spelling has gradually become worse. I never thought much of it. Is this a common side effect of heavy dissociative use?

I am in no way a chemist, but this is just an idea. What about mixing it in lemon juice and allowing it to sit? Wouldn't the citric acid in the lemon juice break down the plastic coating on the polistirex molecules?

I don't know about that exact styrene, but I would probably try using pure orange oil. At least that's edible. I would recommend citra-solv, because I know that product breaks down all different sorts of plastic, but I wouldn't want to ingest it. What the hell are pharmaceutical companies doing putting plastics in ingestible drugs? It's as if DXM can't do enough damage on its own, you have to add environmental estrogens and the possibility of cancer to such a dangerous product.

I wanted to chime in here for safety reasons despite the age of this post.

Even if the polystyrex broke down in the presence of acid, you would never want to assume that you can just add it to concentrated sulfuric acid and then hope to neutralize the rest with milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide). At worst, you would end up drinking concentrated sulfuric acid due to not having fully reacted/neutralized all of it. You would need to make sure that the amounts of the acid and the base are stoichiometrically correct to make sure that the limiting reagent is the H2SO4, otherwise you risk serious internal injury or even death.

I don't really know how to separate the DXM HBr from the polystyrex (sodium polystyrene sulfonate) resin. What it is is DXM HBr bound (relatively weakly) to a polystyrex coordination complex, such that the latter forms somewhat of a "cage" around the DXM HBr. I don't think it would require a lot of energy to break the bond, since it's a complex and not a typical ionic or covalent bond. Conceptually, I guess you'd need to find a suitable solvent so that the DXM HBr dissociates from the polystyrex. You'd probably need to find some other replacement reagent to bind to the polystyrex so as to keep the DXM from reattaching. After that, it may be as simple as mechanically filtering the one from the other (such as with a micropore filter), since the polystyrex is MUCH larger (50 μm to about 70 μm) than the DXM HBr molecules.

For more specific info, do a google search for "DXM polystyrene sulfonate" and you should see a link to its patent containing the details.