View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM - My Thoughts, Experiences, and Effects

TheDude23

Greenlighter
This is my first post so hello to everyone and hope this is informative so those thinking about using DXM or who may just be looking for more information on it.

I've noticed there's not a lot of information on DXM and it's effects. I've decided to go ahead and discuss my experiences and the good and bad things that I've experienced with it.

I struggled with Alcohol for several years prior to my experience with DXM. I actually discovered DXM accidently. Because of my long term alcohol abuse I tend to take much higher doses of over the counter medication.

One weekend I was sick with a pretty bad flu that had me coughing really bad. I hadn't taken Robotussin in a very long time but figured with my cough as bad as it was I'd go ahead and grab a bottle.

When I got home I was coughing really bad so chugged about 1/3 of the bottle. An hour or so later I was still coughing real bad (no patience obviously) so I went ahead and chugged about another 1/3 bottle. Not sure how much longer but shortly after I realized I was high. It pretty much couch locked me and just felt like I got wrapped up in a warm blanket and my senses became super sharp. Whatever I was watching or listening to sounded far better than I had ever realized. It was a cool experience. The next day I was on google trying to figure out what had happened and I started reading articles on Robotripping.

I was a high functioning Alcoholic at the time but Alcohol was taking it's toll on my life and my health so I began switching out DXM for Alcohol. I was drinking up to a 1/5 of Vodka every night at this point and for the first month of starting DXM I was using 2-3 times a week. That first month is kind of a blur but I had some amazing experiences. Some nights I would take lower doses and have a 1st/2nd Plateau experience but on weekends when I would normally get hammered I would take much larger doses and I've had several 3rd/4th level plateau experiences.

So that first accidental experience was June of 2015. I've used DXM pretty regularly since then. I've had many experiences at all plateaus. The first few months I used much more heavily. Lately I don't use often. I now will go weeks without having an experience. Here's some information I can pass on:

Definitely google DXM Plateaus and you'll get very detailed information from others on each plateau. I'll give a brief breakdown.

1st/2nd - The best I've seen people describe 1st/2nd Plateau is by comparing it to MDMA or Alcohol. You get a nice warm feeling and tend to be much more open. I would say one difference though is to where MDMA really makes me want to talk with others and be social. DXM will definitely do that to you but you don't feel a pull to do so. You can just as easily do it alone and go outside and enjoy nature or just chill out and listen to music or watch something and enjoy it. But overall I would say it's similar experience. Depending on the doses will depend how it affects your body. For me DXM has more of a body impact than MDMA but the impact is similar to Alcohol in that higher doses makes you start losing motor skills. It's a far different feeling than Alcohol though. With Alcohol you lose motor abilities but it may take time for your brain to realize that. With DXM you definitely can feel it. It will make you feel like a "Robot" where you have to consciously move. The term robowalking is absolutely true.

3rd/4th - An experience in these plateaus is very hard to describe and explain. Many other experiences out there (MDMA, Cannabis, etc) differ from DXM with dosing. In other things you may try higher doses will tend to amplify effects and/or impact the duration. DXM can be be described like H2O. It has different states. You have ice, water, or steam. Although they are all the same substance they have very different characteristics. DXM usage is very much like that. At lower dosages you have the above effects. At higher dosages though your experience will completely change. I think a lot of people who have bad experiences didn't realize this ahead of time. They were expecting their lower dosage experience to be amplified with higher dosages but it's not. It's a vastly different experience. At higher dosages you will experience a couch lock effect. You will either not be able to move or move very little. When I had 3rd and 4th plateau experiences I would have to plan them out and decide where I would want to be (Couch, bed, etc). You may ask why would someone want to be immobile with something. I would say a lot of people don't and why you hear many bad experiences with DXM. What I can tell you is that in this state I've had some amazing life changing experiences. When you get into a disassociative state two things tend to happen:

A. I've had experiences where it's as if my mind left my body and became one with the universe. It felt like my mind was able to travel anywhere and on more than one occasion it was like I connected with other conscious beings on a different plane of existence. I've read reports of what people have experienced on DMT and some of my high level plateau experiences are mirror images to what I've read that people have experienced on DMT (although I haven't done it so can't attest to that. I'm only saying that the descriptions I've read are very similar).

B. The other experience I've had has been where my mind and body meld together and I had a feeling that I could feel every individual cell in my body. It was like my mind could travel through my body and I could consciously feel every atom of my being.

Again, It's really difficult to explain but these are the best descriptions I can give in typed word.

I would advise anyone to do further research if you are interested. I've noticed there aren't a lot of good guides out there and so I wanted to write this one but it doesn't hurt to go and read more. What I would stress is that people need to understand that based on the dossage you take you can have vastly different experiences. Most of the bad experiences I've read about I would chalk up to the person not understanding this or not being ready for it. Many people are I think are thinking they are going to have a 1st/2nd plateau experience and aren't ready for a 3rd/4th. It's also difficult to tell dosages which is why I haven't mentioned dosage levels. I find that I take much higher doses then typical so I don't want to mislead anyone by providing dosage charts.

That being said you can have some amazing experieces at all levels if you are prepared.

Last thing I wanted to talk about are the effects.

1. I am completely sober from Alcohol. I had tried to stop drinking several times and had always failed. After the first week or two of changing out DXM instead of Alcohol I completely lost the craving for Alcohol. I haven't had a single drink since June of 2015. I attribute that to DXM for sure.

2. DXM is not physically addicting that I can tell. I've never craved DXM like I did alcohol. I never HAD to go get a DXM fix. I would say that it would probably be very low on the physical addiction chart. I did really enjoy the mental aspect of it though. Especially in the beginning I would really want to have another experience with it. There is a mental side to the addiction but again after the first month or two I think the honeymoon period wore off and since then It's only been something I've occasionally used.

3. I don't want to mislead and say it's not as hard on a person's body as Alcohol. What I will say that with chronic alcohol abuse my blood pressure was nearly always in hypertension and my liver blood work constantly showed up as a fatty liver. Since I stopped drinking I've gotten my blood pressure taken many times and have had my blood work done twice. My bood pressure is back to normal (slightly high on occasion, probably more to do with stress or something I ate). I no longer have alarmly high blood pressure anymore. My liver has also gone back to normal and it no longer shows up as a concern on my blood tests. What I will say that the chronic problems that Alcohol abuse was causing with my body appear to be gone. At high doses though it's obviousl that DXM is very very hard on the body. While you are on it and the next day you can definitely tell that your body and brain have gone through the ringer. So much so that it is one of the main reasons why I changed from frequent use to occasional use.

4. Memory.... Well this is where I'm going to go into a little more detail. To understand the baseline I use to be someone with a very scary accurate memory. I could meet someone and months or years later remember their name. I would freak people out with how good my memory was. With years of Alcohol abuse I could tell that it took it's toll on my memory. I would say it was noticable and occasionally I would think... "You gotta stop drinking before this gets worse"... but I would't say it was alarming.

Over a year and a half of doing DXM though I have noticed degradation of memory. I can't be 100% sure it's the DXM but I'm pretty sure it is. It first started with me not being able to recall words. You know how it is.. You are in a conversation and you are trying to describe something to someone but you can't think of the word. Well at fist it was normal but then I noticed it was happening far more often then I had ever experienced it. What really made me notice it was that typically when it would happen to me before then I could think and eventually remember the word I was thinking of. Now though I've stopped even trying to remember words on these occasions because it's pointless. For the past year whenever I have that happen (and it's far more frequent then I am comfortable with) it's nearly impossible to think of the word. The harder I try to remember the worse it gets and now I'm at a point that when I have a moment like that I don't even try. I basically just move on and a lot of times say "nevermind" because it sometimes kills the whole conversation. People who knew me before recognize a noticable difference. Those friends or acquantances who didn't don't really seem to notice anything out of the ordinary.

The other thing that I've started noticing, which really didn't pick up on until last few months is that my short term memory is noticably different as well. I will forget when I do things. It's mainly on things that are routine. Some examples are:
A. I'll forget that I brushed my teeth. I'll go to brush my teeth and notice my tooth brush is beside my sink and wet. Then I'll stand there and really have to think "did I brush my teeth" and it's obvious I did since there's no one else who lives with me.
B. Feeding my dogs. I'm sure my dogs get fed more often then not because I'll forget that I fed them. Same type of scenario, I'll take them to feed them and realize there's saliva on their bowls because they recently ate.

Now... Other than when I got drunk and not being able to remember things I did while I was drunk... I never experienced these types of issues when I was drinking. I've only experienced them with the prolonged use of DXM which is why I attribute them to the DXM use.

I've not experienced stuttering issues or not being able to speak like some have spoken of(although during a high plateau level DXM experience I think it would be impossible to speak during but never had issues after) but it doesn't surprise me when I read poeple have experienced that with what I have experienced.

I don't want to speculate why I have these issues since I'm not a doctor but I do feel it's from the DXM use.

5. Personality... I've mentioned that I was having serious problems when I was on Alcohol. I would have dramatic mood swings and was to a point where I would get paranoid and really short with people. I never had any HR issues at work but I definitely know that it impacted relationships. After moving to DXM my issues cleared up. I've had work friends that I'm close with talk with me and tell me how they were worried about me and saw a noticable difference in my mood and behavior. They no longer saw the erratic behavior I was having when I was drinking a lot. When I was on DXM at low levels I would experience a MDMA like calm and happiness. I would feel really close to people and nature. I would feel more open and happy. On the come down I never really experience any depression or bad side effects that some people have reported. An upper level high dosage experience is, again, much harder for me to describe but typically I would say it felt like my mind and body had a cleaning crew come through and cleaned everything out. I would feel refreshed and all the stress and anxiety that I was feeling before would be gone. I would feel really at peace for the next day and sometimes few days. Also on occasions where I had a truly enlightening experience I would sometimes come up with solutions for problems I was experiencing or I would come out with motivation to tackle something happening in my life. I've had many people comment over the past year or so that I seem less stressed and happier. I also have noticed that things that use to really bother me or set me off typically don't anymore. I'm much more willing to shrug things off.

Conclusion:

Overall I would say my experience with DXM has been positive. The fact that it allowed me to stop drinking makes it worth it to me. The issues I've noticed with memory have caused me to pause and are probably the main reason that I have cut way way back on my usage and are having me consider whether or not I'm going to stop altogether.

I think the fact that I am still pondering whether to continue to use or stop coompletely can be chalked up to the positive things it's brought to me mixed with the personality changes it's brought about. Typically the memory loss would freak me out but most of the times I find myself just shrugging it off and not really worrying about it. Don't get me wrong, I don't take it lightly but I'm not freaked out either, I'm more contemplative of the situation. I definitely don't want to make matters worse on that front and have been working to change my diet and eating more healthy and tyring to get back in shape (which I haven't been in since before my heavy alcohol use) so we'll see if it's something long term. At this point I can live with it the way it is but I think if it got worse it would start impacting my life in a very negative way.

All in all I think people need to be very careful. You can have some amazing experiences but you need to really think before hand because short term if you aren't prepared for the type of experience you want (upper plateau/lower plateau) then you will definitely be caught off guard. As to long term impacts you do need to be cognizent that there could be negative long term impacts and watch for them and be prepared to deal with them.

Be safe everyone!

Sorry...I can't seem to edit the original post. In order to clear up something that seemed confusing when I read it again. I said " I began switching out DXM for Alcohol. I meant to say that I had stopped drinking Alcohol and started drinking cough syrup instead. I didn't really word that right so wanted to clear it up in case it confused anyone.

yeah DXM was the first hallucinogenic drug i tried in looking for a psychedelic experience. it's truly changed who i am to this day but i've never been able to remember my 600mg+ trips. i weigh around 150lbs now.

i actually took some over the weekend - 300mg. i was hoping for it to help me quit smoking cigarettes habitually.. so i'm waiting to see how that goes :D.

it's really a profound drug in itself, but it leaves me feeling rather spaced or 'fried out'. i tend to only do it a few times a year or less.