• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM Mucinex DM Extended Release, do they work?

greenlight2848

Ex-Bluelighter
I have Mucinex DM extended release tablets containing 60 mg of DXM and 1200 mg of guaf each, and plan on taking them to trip. These are not the dxm polistirex extended release desylm, they are dxm hbr extended.

I have taken dxm containing guaifenesm before and did not get sick. But my main question is, do the extended release take longer to kick in or will they not even work at all? They are extended release "bi-layer" tablets and it has a 12- hour logo on it. Will these even work?

Gaifenesin in high doses can cause some stomach issues and vomiting, and I doubt it's good for you. Not horrible, but it's easy enough to find DXM-only products.

Yes it will work, but it involves taking a high dose of Guafenesin that, as said above, causes a lot of nausea and vomiting. You aren't supposed to take more than 2,400mg in a 24 hour period, so I suggest getting Robotussin cough gels. They contain DXM only as the active ingredient. If you're going to take the Mucinex DM, take an anti-nausea pill such as Ondensatron (Zofran.)

If you want a decent second plateau trip, that would be 6 pills; 360mg of DXM and 7,200mg of Guafenesin (3 times the daily limit, but not harmful because it's toxicity is low)

Conclusion: If you don't enjoy vomiting, go get a DXM only product.

I usually do use DXM only. These were 60 mg of dxm and 1200 of guaf each. I took around 650 mg, and did not get sick at all. Trip did last for 15 hours though.....I like non ex release better than ex. I've taken large amounts of guard before with dxm and never got sick. That's just me though, I am definitely not recommending taking that much guaf, dxm only active ingredient is the way to go.

I fucking hate having to ingest guaifensin but the cheapest option by far per DXM in non liquid form is generic mucinex. But yeah, as long as you dont have a weak stomach guaifenesin won't make you vomit, just a lil bit of nausea when it first hits. Still better than drinkin fuckin syrup, imo.

I never get sick when ingesting large amounts of gaufenisen. Mucinex isn't the only form of DXM that is non-liquid. Their are also the gels, which contain DXM as the only active ingredient, at least around me

I fucking hate having to ingest guaifensin but the cheapest option by far per DXM in non liquid form is generic mucinex. But yeah, as long as you dont have a weak stomach guaifenesin won't make you vomit, just a lil bit of nausea when it first hits. Still better than drinkin fuckin syrup, imo.

Robitussin makes DXM only gel caps. I think Delsym does as well. They're cheap...no reason to ingest something you don't need to.

Sorta delayed here but from what I'm reading, the guaifensin isn't harmful at all? The worst thing that'll happen would be the possibility of vomiting? Also that's not even so likely with a strong stomach?

Sorta delayed here but from what I'm reading, the guaifensin isn't harmful at all? The worst thing that'll happen would be the possibility of vomiting? Also that's not even so likely with a strong stomach?
Correct, although even people wuth strong stomachs report considerable nausea with when ingesting large amounts of guaf.
Personally I get brutally nauseas even with extracted DXM

Most of the times I've taken mucinex I did not have to puke ( about 20-30 times 400+ mg) the only problem I've found with them is the taste and smell. I can't stand it. I usually have to coat my tongue with peppermint extract to disable my taste buds.Other than that I've found the effect to be very clean.

On a side note, with mucinex, they're timed release. The white part of the pill is instant release and the yellow takes awhile. That case being, I usually take a little more than I plan on tripping with. Ex.: If I want to take 600 mg (in your case 10 pills) I would take about 2-3 more just to get a more precise effect due to the fact that only half the pill goes into your system with in the first 3-4 hours of taking them.

I hoped this helped, and good luck :)

So I tried it a while back and I wouldn't recommend it personally. I have a decently strong stomach but ended up vomiting quite a bit after taking I believe 10 pills. It was 30mg guaf per pill if I remember correctly. I'd for sure just go get some robitussin cough. That has WAY less guaf if any sometimes.

Vomiting can really tear up your insides. It isn't good to have all that stomach acid come up and that can do some real damage long term.

whle I understand that Gaifenesin in high doses can mess with your stomach, wouldn't it be best to take one pill/product that contains Gaifenesin and than follow it up with a product like the gel tabs that are pure DMX? Reason I ask is I read that the Gaifenesin extends the half life of DXM from 3 to 12 hours.