• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM makes my problems extremely easier to deal with. Medication recommendations for next doctors appointment?

AliceAngel94

Greenlighter
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been on a ton of medications, but nothing makes me feel as functional as a DXM trip. Celexa, Gabapentin, Seroquel, Haloperidol, Lamictal, Risperidone, meth, heroin, crack, and every combination, nothing helps. I'm a disabled person that wants to be functional and get on with my life but just can't seem to. I've, in the past, tripped on DXM for 90 days (90 bottles of dollar store cough syrup) straight and I almost had a job because of it. I was able to do that Life thing I'm always hearing people talk about. When I'm sober, I'm a necrotic mess thanks to my diagnosis's of Autism, PTSD, BPD, and Schizophrenia, as well as a long standing back injury when I was 9 years old that makes it difficult to stand for more than 10 minutes, yet when I'm tripping, I'm almost able-bodied. I've given in and decided to ask Bluelight; What can I consult my doctor about to help me get to where I can live? Should I tell my doctor I want DXM in capsule form? What do you guys think it is that changes my brain chemistry to such a degree? How can I get closer to it?
Thanks for the help, as always.

Even if your doctor is amicable, they can't get you DXM for therapeutic use, it just isn't made for that. You could speak to them if they are understanding and will not demonize your drug use, let them know your experience, and ask if they have any ideas. But again, I wouldn't open the conversation unless you're sure you won't be labeled a drug seeker, etc. It could cause more problems than it solves.

An idea, though, may be looking at legal Ketamine treatment? Considering both Ketamine and DXM are dissociatives, the positive effects you receive from DXM may be gotten from Ketamine! That may be your best legal and doctor-approved route!

I am not suggesting off-label drug use for treatment of psychological disorders, but DXM can be purchased online in pure powder form quite easily. If you do go down the DXM path, which again, I am not suggesting, pure powder is preferable to cough syrup. Cough syrup is fucking terrible for the body, and if anyone wants a great example of modern medicine being downright non-medicinal, they should look at cough syrup formulations. Take even just 6 generic DXM cough gels, feel and see what it does to digestive health (see: diarrhea, stomach bloating, flatulance, general stomach discomfort, etc.), and try and argue that it's a medicine. It's 15mg of medicine wrapped in thousands of milligrams of garbage.

/rant over

Careful dosing dxm regularly. I had a friend on another forum who dosed dxm, in both powder then syrup/pills, regularly for a couple years. He had pretty severe complications, both with prolonged use and when attempting to cease use, in part due to all the other “garbage” in gels and syrups and the fact that dxms effects are quite “dirty” (in that it affects multiple receptor cites).

I’m sorry to hear of your struggles and that I can’t offer any advice. But I don’t think anyone here can. At the risk of seeming “drug seeking” it might be wise to seek professional help.

There could be a way to make your idea work. Memantine is a dissociative that's generally well tolerated for longterm use. It isn't as strong a mind disconnector as DXM, but it could function as potentiator to get more tolerable DXM doses to the level you require. Because even if you use pure powder, which you always should, then in time you still can expect serious cognitive side-effects. I'm surprised you don't mention having had problems already. Others would have lost their ability to spell properly after three months.

There's some evidence for memantine fitting each of your diagnoses actually, so you could also give it a shot on its own. But your doctor might require more proof than is currently available. You can get some on your own initiative online, maybe not as easily as pure DXM powder, but it should be doable.

Though it might indeed be a better idea not to look for a dissociative to mend all of your problems, but instead keep the physical and mental issues separate, and treat the latter with either high dose DXM or ketamine, infrequently. If you like DXM I see no reason to make things radically pricier, but it's an option.

Be very careful, DXM can be addictive, and if you drink cough syrup you are also consuming alcohol.

It used to be super insanely easy to get DXM powder, a mg scale, and gel caps. I wouldn't be surprised if people still do this.

There could be a way to make your idea work. Memantine is a dissociative that's generally well tolerated for longterm use. It isn't as strong a mind disconnector as DXM, but it could function as potentiator to get more tolerable DXM doses to the level you require. Because even if you use pure powder, which you always should, then in time you still can expect serious cognitive side-effects. I'm surprised you don't mention having had problems already. Others would have lost their ability to spell properly after three months.

There's some evidence for memantine fitting each of your diagnoses actually, so you could also give it a shot on its own. But your doctor might require more proof than is currently available. You can get some on your own initiative online, maybe not as easily as pure DXM powder, but it should be doable.

Though it might indeed be a better idea not to look for a dissociative to mend all of your problems, but instead keep the physical and mental issues separate, and treat the latter with either high dose DXM or ketamine, infrequently. If you like DXM I see no reason to make things radically pricier, but it's an option.
Mematine is a drug for people with Alzheimer's. I doubt the OP's doctor is going to prescribe it to him or her.

Yes, that's why I point out there are other ways of obtaining it.

Not all cough syrup formulas contain alcohol, by the way. Though I think we're being clear that should be a moot point to begin with.

Any other reason to be showering the post with shock?

DXM works as a:

DXM (together with bupropion**) is in clinical trials for major depression. This is one hell of a combination, they potentiate each other and create strong physical and mental energy, anxiolysis, mood lift in a very different way from both S/NRI alone or DXM alone. The latter is already unique by combining a SNRI (which is easier to quit than e.g. venlafaxine or paroxetine btw imho) with a dissociative and sigma agonist and by changing the metabolism by either bupropion, venlafaxine (NOT recommended) or chinidine as in the preparation Nuedexta (used for a rare condition called pseudobulbar affect).

Dextromethorphan as a potential rapid-acting antidepressant (addictiondomain.com)
Involvement of AMPA receptors in the antidepressant-like effects of dextromethorphan in mice - PubMed (nih.gov)

I know the OPs point only too good. In my teen years I found medium dose DXM (75-150mg) to be the single most effective aid, so much better than SNRI alone and tried to convince my doc but no chance, he didn't even read the papers I've printed him. I really wish the science were some decades further, and me not for years on venlafaxine, building up tolerance for nothing when it was the combination of effects which helped me.
Yes, you can use DXM as an antidepressant alone ... or try one of the mentioned combinations, but be careful to slowly titrate, potentation is real and strong..
No, you won't necessarily get (more) addicted (than to SNRI alone). No doubt, DXM is recreational, but this is not an opposite to something which works - see e.g. (meth)amphetamine & ADHD..

Memantine is interesting, and can be combined with S/NRI (not with DXM - together they mess with sensory input, create psychotomimetic stuff), but don't expect DXM like effects from it. It's much more clean and primarily a dopaminergic which you won't get the horrible PAWS like from pure dopamine agonists.

If you wanna go K, then I'd recommend O-PCM / deschloroketamine. It's usually more pure than street K, cheaper and longer lasting - the last one makes a big difference, also you won't experience urotoxicity because of such low dosages (it's some times more potent than K)..