• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

dxm hcl vs dxm freebase?

iloveoxycontin

Bluelighter
Hey, my question is: what is the difference between dextromethorphan hydrochloride and dextromethorphan freebase, in terms of which one kicks in faster, is longer lasting, more potent, etc...?
I've extracted the freebase dxm using the ammonia/naptha/blowdryer method, and I consider the freebase to be a lot harder of a trip than the hydrobromide. As a freebase, citrate, or hydrochloride, i imagine some risks may be reduced such as bromide poisoning. I've also extracted dxm using the agent lemon method and found dxm citrate to produce really hard trips, but the taste of the stuph has traumatized me to say the least. *shudders*
I've read a bunch about the acid-base extraction method using HCl and NaOH to produce dxm hcl, but I've never actually done it.
Has anyone here actually performed the acid-base extractiong method using hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide?
What are the noticeable differences about taking dxm freebase and dxm hcl?
If you have made dxm hcl, did you use pure sodium hydroxide or did you use lye to mix a solution? I read that lye is bad to use because it is unpure, but it's also the most available source for NaOH, i think.
Would using lye ruin the experiment?
Hope someone can enlighten me here...

DXM HCl and freebase should be the same, because the HCl acid in your stomach converts it to the salt anyway, I'd thought, but maybe I'm wrong?

The lye purity is variable based on the brand. Look for the ones that say "99% sodium hydroxide flakes" or whatever. I wouldn't use anything other than pure NaOH, though...

I'm honestly a little bit suprised that you got anything from the freebase, but there would be minimal difference between the citrate, bromide and chloride salts. This is because the only difference is the counter-ion used in the salt, the active ingredient (deprotonated DXM ion) is still the same.

What exactly do you mean by harder? Stronger? More unpleasant? If it's the latter, it might be due to residue from the extraction. Why not try ordering a batch from a chem supplier? Pure DXM HBr is not too expensive, and you don't have to worry about the product being made/extracted with less than lab-grade reagents.

I know the freebase gets converted to hcl in your stomach, but if it was in hcl form already, would the effects come faster?
I guess the reason i never ordered any is because i like the idea of extracting the dxm and whatnot, i'm just into chemistry and learning to do it myself, ya know?
But anybody wishing to save money should certainly order it online i suppose, lol.
What i meant by harder, stronger, etc is that i noticed when i tripped on the freebase, i never would get as nauseous as when I dosed on the agent lemon dxm citrate or on coricidin. Maybe the nauseous feelings had something to with drinking that nasty stuph, ugh...
Thanks for the responses.

Nah:- HBr; HCl; HI; H2SO4; Tosyl; Triflate; Phosphate;...

Same shit buddy, it's only a counter ion

^ What he said.

And in the spirit of harm reduction: don't take coricidin recreationally. Your liver will thank you. Stick to plain DM syrups, extracts, or preferrably pure DXM. Seriously, the syrup tastes like ass but buy a bag of gelatin caplets and some pure DXM and you'll be fine.

Thanks again for the information. I don't take coricidin recreationally anymore, lol, I've heard too many horror stories about it and such. I guess the freebase sounds like the safest and most effective way to go.

I believe that DXM freebase would be slightly more potent on a weight by weight basis than DXM HCl, DXM HBr, etc. The difference wouldn't be much, probably not enough to make a huge difference, but it is there. I would think that since Bromine is slightly heavier than Chlorine, that DXM HCl would also be slightly more potent that DXM HBr.

But still, we're talking about a difference of a few micrograms, at most, on a dose of several hundred milligrams, so it's not going to make any kind of noticeable difference.

I'm honestly a little bit suprised that you got anything from the freebase, but there would be minimal difference between the citrate, bromide and chloride salts. This is because the only difference is the counter-ion used in the salt, the active ingredient (deprotonated DXM ion) is still the same.

What exactly do you mean by harder? Stronger? More unpleasant? If it's the latter, it might be due to residue from the extraction. Why not try ordering a batch from a chem supplier? Pure DXM HBr is not too expensive, and you don't have to worry about the product being made/extracted with less than lab-grade reagents.
You suggested to order pure DXM HBr from a chem supplier. Is it as simple as searching for a chem store near me, or is it only available from RC vendors? I found this on Amazon, it's a hundred 30 mg pills of DXM HBr, with no unwanted other ingredients. From what I've read thus far, it appears that this is a pure form of DXM HBr. I'm about ready to order some, hopefully I can get a response to my question. Thanks to anyone who can say this is the way to go.

RoboHBr Cough suppressant, Dextromethorphan HBr 30 mg, 100 Tablets, 100 Doses https://a.co/d/eAHHdLU

The intensity of a DXM 'robotrip' indeed depends on the absorption, I've tried different products from the pharmacy, all hydrobromide but some instant release and other extended release (beads in capsules, no polystirex) and even when crushed/de-retardated, these cause a less intense trip than the IR.

Yeah, freebase will be more potent weight by weight because there is no bromide taking up some weight.