View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM hbr weaker then ER version for me?

Jackplays

Bluelighter
A few weeks ago, I took approximately 200 mg of the extended release version of dxm, and got a very nice effect (first time doing any drug) then a few days ago, I took 350 mg of dxm hbr, hoping for a stronger, but shorter lasting trip. I only felt approx 2/3 of what I felt on the first trip. I don't know how this is possible, since the extended release version is supposed to be so much weaker. Could it have just been the mood I was in? That was the only thing that really changed from the 2 trips. The one we're I took the ER version I was very excited and happy, and for the second trip I felt much more neutral (not sad, not happy, not nervous, not really anything). Both were taken on an empty stomach.

The ER version has polistirex bind to the Dextromethorphan, this cause it to slowly release. IME it is about 1/2 as strong. Your mood may have effected your "trip" a bit but delsym just isn't as strong. I'd dose around 600-700, that should give a pleasant trip. But it will last for 12 hours so clear your schedule

which brands did you use? I could be completely wrong but I heard somewhere that different companies use different strengths of DXM powder, which means even though it says 350mg, 50 of that may be impurities.

Doctorcodone: I said I thought the polistirix seemed stronger to me, not the other way around

Crypticarc: the second trip with the hbr was Vick dayquil, and the first trip with the polistirix was delsym

It could be set and setting, but also some people seem to metabolize the polystyrex better than others. For me personally they're about the same.
Sorry no way to know for sure without more testing than either of us is likely able to swing.
I guess more (weekly or less) trials with both are called for.

Yea, I'm definitely going to do more trials, but from my "diphenhydramine HCI" thread in bdd I take Zoloft, but am going to come off of it, so I'm afraid to test for the next few weeks. Will definitely test in the coming months tho.

DXM is very tricky. But, as with most drugs, the strength of the dose you took can be altered by so many things. What you ate that day (general nutritional intake not just contents of stomach), body chemistry at the time, tolerance, and a multitude of other things. Sometimes you just miss a dose. I have had this happen on more than one occasion with DXM.

I've never had this happen to me before, HBr is always stronger.

I would assume it's because you metabolize DXM differently, and extended release means small amounts get released over time, and those small amounts are enough to make you trip out. But I couldn't explain why HBr would be weaker. Did you use a HBr syrup or cough gels?

I used syrup both times. I dont know why the hbr would have that much less of an effect, especially since I took nearly twice as much!

That's intresting maybe you don't metabolize the hbr as well as polistirex, I don't know if that could happen but you may just metabolize polistirex easier/better. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong on this one