• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

DXM daily use for opiate tolerance?

Cosmic Trigger

Bluelighter
I use oxycodone for pain. I don't want to build tolerance too fast as my doc is very conservative about upping the dose. I've been trying DXM lately and it's too soon to notice it's effects on tolerance but it does seem to nicely potentiate my average dose. My question is, is it relatively safe to use DXM daily? I'm taking 60 mg, 4x15mg caps. That has been the most effective dose for potentiation but tolerance is the most important issue for me so maybe less would work? I'd appreciate any advice from those in the know.

60mg seems to be a good dose for me, when potentiating.. I notice I go into wd about twice as quick, as when I dont take it. There arent too many risks for daily use, however it does act as an sri, so prolonged use can cause wd symptoms similar to antidepressants..

- Hopeless 7nos

I would consider prolonged use, as daily for a few months, but by tapering your dose, you can avoid most of those sri issues. As far as safe use goes, its open for interpretation, that being said, dxm is fairly safe to use for opiate potentiation and tolerance, at least for seasoned users, opiate rookies may run into trouble, from cns depressant issues, but they shouldnt be trying to potentaite anyways.

- Hopeless 7nos

You're going to be fine. Let's put this into perspective.
Studies have found out that the only people who experience permanent brain damage with no other major symptoms are only 1% of people who:
Take more than 720mg,
daily,
for over a year.

So taking 60mg daily will not be a problem. However, DXM tolerance does very grow fast so you may have to keep raising your dose.

Yes, I have taken 60-80 mg DXM to potentiating opioids with pretty good results (although this combo is a bit of an upper), going higher than that doesn't do much good. The only thing to be aware of is that taking SSRIs or certain other meds like Demerol or Tramadol with DXM can cause serotonin syndrome so don't mix those.