View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM and Grapefruit Juice Enhancement

MarcusJD9999

Bluelighter
I've read that drinking grapefruit juice can increase the effects or enhance the quality of a DXM trip? This sounds very likely but at the same time could just be a myth. If I decide to try this, how much juice would I need and when should I drink it? Some say to drink the juice 2 hours before taking the DXM. If I take robo gels, can I just down the gels with the juice? I've also read that you can drink grapefruit juice during the trip or peak to enhance the experience a tad bit. Anybody know the validation of this? Thanks

Grapefruit (juice) contains coumarins or furanocoumarins I think. Those are substances that inhibit the liver enzymes that break down DXM. (Called inhibitors). They do that by occupying them so that the enzymes are unable to do their job breaking down other substances during that time. (Or indefinitely in the case of some inhibitors called irreversible)

The action of DXM can be a tad complex, since there is more than one way your body breaks it down and breakdown products like - mainly - DXO are active themselves. Additionally DXM is not only a dissociative but also acts on the serotonergic system among other things while DXO is more of a dissociative.

So grapefruit messes with your body's ability to break down the DXM the normal way which is why it gets potentiated and the duration most probably extended. The metabolism still happens, but slower and differently, I imagine that will result in a different effect and side-effect profile.

It is similar to taking MAOI's before a DMT containing concoction in order to active it orally (=ayahuasca).

Usually you wanna allow a little time for the enzyme inhibitors to absorb and occupy the liver enzymes. I'd say it is smart to take the grapefruit juice 45-60 minutes in advance. While I don't really know how long the inhibitors last for, 2 hours seems a little excessive, maybe it is meant to be "more than enough". It will also probably work if taken at the same time, but you then may have some metabolism starting before the inhibitors kick in.
Logically the later you take the grapefruit, the smaller portion of the duration of the trip it will have effect on.

Mind you, you should not take any other drugs or medications while you have an active dose of grapefruit juice, because quite many may also be prevented to breakdown. This can not only cause potentiation but also danger!

Even acetaminophen levels can get elevated by it so that should not be in your DXM product.

I have no idea how much grapefruit juice it will take for significant effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit–drug_interactions