View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

dxm and gabapentin experiences?

jmartian

Greenlighter
hi so i am just curious on anyone's experiences with dxm and gabapentin. tonight i am going to take around 300mg to 400mg of dxm and about 900mg of gaba. i would like to hear any experiences that any of you guys have with doing this combo?

Welcome to Bluelight! :)

I haven't used gabapentin and DXM together.

Have you researched the combination to make sure it's a safe one?

Hi, jmartian! Mixing these two isn't necessarily a bad idea, but they both share possible side effects that may make for a dangerous combination. DXM is known for messing around with the heart (rapid pulse, arrhythmia) and causing high blood pressure in some. Gabapentin also shares some of the same side effects like high BP and irregular heart rate. When I used to use DXM alone (averaged 450mg) my resting heart rate sometimes reached 160! The average resting heart rate is supposed to be between 60-90 BPM. I wouldn't recommend this combo, but if you go for it anyways, make sure your heart rate is staying under 180 BPM.

Well absolutely love the both of them separate but have never tried the combo. Share your experience

well guys thanks for the replies... but anyways i indeed go ahead with doing this, as well as adding 350mg tramadol. okay so this was very very cool combo, i had some insane CEV's along with regular visuals. while i was writing down how i was feeling during my trip(which was very hard to do as u guys would know because of the dxm lol) but anyways while i was writing down i kept seeing like ant type black dot things scrambling across the page while i was writing. i have done dxm quite alot and never had as intense CEVS and visuals as i did with such a low dosage of dxm(430mg). i believe the gaba defnitely effected that because the next day i was talking and sharing my experience with my buddy and he as well tried gaba and dxm together and said the same as me. also the tramadol had me feelin very very good as i currently have a very low tolerance to any type of pk since i am currently living in a new town so i have yet to find any drug dealers near me lol.

For the most part combining gabanergics and dissociatives is OK, though bringing tramadol into the mix makes it more iffy. Tramadol is an "atypical" opioid, but mixing opiods with gabanergics (benzos/ghb/alcohol) still tends to lead to respiratory depression as far as I know. Be mindful of class interactions when combining drugs. I think recently drug overdoses have overtaken auto accidents as the number one killer of younger Americans. With the enormous amount of prescriptions written for pain medications (opiods) and anti-anxiety (typically benzos/gabanergics) drugs there's a lot of potential for dangerous experimentation.

Last edited:
Gabapentin and pregabalin are not really GABAergics in any usual sense (i.e. GABA receptor agonists, PAMs...). The main effect is on calcium channels attenuating the effects of excitatory neurotransmitters including glutamate and dopamine... and there is also some effect on the balance between GABA and glutamate which can be interconverted by some enzymes. Yes this shifts the balance to increase GABA levels, but that is still different from agonistic modulation of GABA receptors.

Still, gabapentin and pregabalin can apparently enhance the effects of lots of other types of drugs but the interactions seems to be kind of complex. I've carefully tried taking R-ketamine while under the influence of pregabalin, starting from very low doses... and at another time the same with MXE on pregabalin. I agree with what I read others saying which is that it potentiates the dissociative and all of its effects and side-effects. Not exactly life threatening or even directly dangerous, but it did feel very dysfunctional to me... very confusing from low doses of dissociative drug.
Both dissociatives and pregabalin / gabapentin act on glutamate... I wonder if that is the explanation for the combo being pretty out there.

This weekend I am using oxy, and I discontinued my pregabalin to avoid negative interaction. There may be potentiation, but I want to avoid the possibility of side-effects like resp. depression also being potentiated. Tramadol can be extra tricky, even if it is not the most potent opioid there is... so I am very much in agreement that it was 'iffy', psood0nym. Avoid combining something like tramadol IMO unless you know it to be reasonably safe and why, e.g. with cannabis.
DXM and tramadol are both SRI's, do not combine them.

Gabapentin and pregabalin are not really GABAergics in any usual sense (i.e. GABA receptor agonists, PAMs...). The main effect is on calcium channels attenuating the effects of excitatory neurotransmitters including glutamate and dopamine... and there is also some effect on the balance between GABA and glutamate which can be interconverted by some enzymes. Yes this shifts the balance to increase GABA levels, but that is still different from agonistic modulation of GABA receptors.

Still, gabapentin and pregabalin can apparently enhance the effects of lots of other types of drugs but the interactions seems to be kind of complex. I've carefully tried taking R-ketamine while under the influence of pregabalin, starting from very low doses... and at another time the same with MXE on pregabalin. I agree with what I read others saying which is that it potentiates the dissociative and all of its effects and side-effects. Not exactly life threatening or even directly dangerous, but it did feel very dysfunctional to me... very confusing from low doses of dissociative drug.
Both dissociatives and pregabalin / gabapentin act on glutamate... I wonder if that is the explanation for the combo being pretty out there.

This weekend I am using oxy, and I discontinued my pregabalin to avoid negative interaction. There may be potentiation, but I want to avoid the possibility of side-effects like resp. depression also being potentiated. Tramadol can be extra tricky, even if it is not the most potent opioid there is... so I am very much in agreement that it was 'iffy', psood0nym. Avoid combining something like tramadol IMO unless you know it to be reasonably safe and why, e.g. with cannabis.
DXM and tramadol are both SRI's, do not combine them.
Yeah, you're right. Reading my last post now I see I sort of implied that gabapentin and pregabalin were gabanergics in that first sentence even if I didn't include them along with alcohol, GHB and benzos in the parentheses. GABA systems are so broadly distributed, and implicated in so many different functions in the brain, that its hard to talk about gabanergics in the same sense as one might discuss the effects of serotonergics or opioids. But like you allude to there are indirect ways drugs like pregablin might interact with opiods to cause respiratory depression. I wish there was an easier way to break down our understanding of such drug interactions with respect to medical risks, and translate them into hard and fast harm-reduction advice.