• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives DXM and Bupropion (Wellbutrin)

D3x7r0m37h0rphan

Greenlighter
I snorted 300mg's of wellbutrin 3 hours ago (I enjoy the effects, it's wore off by now) My question is, if I took 300mg's of DXM four hours from now, would I be in danger (Serotonin Syndrome?) I've looked this up on google and I'm only reading about people taking it orally, and that are prescribed it. Thanks.

bupropion is the shittiest drug ever - I would not let it into my system, let alone combine it with DXM...! 8o
it's a decent anti-depressant that also happens to help with quitting smoking. the problem is op is abusing it in the worst way possible. knock that shit off before you get a seizure

guys i mean stop downing him he likes a drug then he likes a drug there are people on this website that use meth and free base pills which are way worse than snorting some anti depressants and as goes for the OP you will be fine if you havent already done it by now just drink alot of water and blow your nose before u start ingesting the DXM you'll be fine.

I snorted 300mg's of wellbutrin 3 hours ago (I enjoy the effects, it's wore off by now) My question is, if I took 300mg's of DXM four hours from now, would I be in danger (Serotonin Syndrome?) I've looked this up on google and I'm only reading about people taking it orally, and that are prescribed it. Thanks.

Not a good idea.

DXM and bupropion are both metabolized by the same enzyme (CYP2D6) AND bupropion (or more accurately one of its metabolites) happens to be a strong inhibitor of the CYP2D6 enzyme. What this means is that the combination will lead to significantly increased levels of both drugs. One study predicts that with 300 mg bupropion, blood levels of DXM would be increased to 1000% of normal! It's important to keep in mind that high levels of DXM aren't necessarily desirable. DXM is essentially an SNRI, which means it could result in serotonin syndrome. Also, DXM doesn't have dissociative effects on its own...it's DXO, a metabolite, that is the NMDA antagonist (i.e. responsible for the dissociation).

guys i mean stop downing him he likes a drug then he likes a drug there are people on this website that use meth and free base pills which are way worse than snorting some anti depressants and as goes for the OP you will be fine if you havent already done it by now just drink alot of water and blow your nose before u start ingesting the DXM you'll be fine.
using meth and free basing pills is less stupid than snorting wellbutrin

using meth is a lot more stupid than snorting some wellbutrin. meth is much more addictive can destroy your body and potentially kill you. the only way i take my meth is in a nice x pill for an extra boost.

You cannot justify one bad thing by pointing out another bad thing. Abusing the hardest of drugs and abusing anti-depressants are both generally unwise and can potentially lead to severe problems. Stop comparing them pointlessly like you could or should ever win arguments about such overgeneralized statements and avoid both instead if you are not a fan of severe problems.

That warning also applies to D3x the TS who is doing one of these things and should definitely stop it right away, regardless of other behavior that may be mentioned on this forum. Certain types of drug use may be well accepted, especially say meth use when you are in the central meth thread. But I don't see people saying that any of that is a particularly smart idea. Use common sense. And be helpful to others when you are understanding.

Now then, leave as much time between the wellbutrin and DXM as you can, because:

wiki wellbutrin said:
Outside the nervous system, both bupropion and its primary metabolite hydrobupropion act in the liver as potent inhibitors of the enzyme CYP2D6, which metabolizes not only bupropion itself but also a variety of other drugs and biologically active substances.[53] This mechanism creates the potential for a variety of drug interactions

wiki dxm said:
A major metabolic catalyst involved is the cytochrome P450 enzyme known as 2D6, or CYP2D6. A significant portion of the population has a functional deficiency in this enzyme and are known as poor CYP2D6 metabolizers. O-demethylation of DXM to DXO contributes to 100% of the DXO formed during DXM metabolism.[38] As CYP2D6 is a major metabolic pathway in the inactivation of dextromethorphan, the duration of action and effects of dextromethorphan can be increased by as much as three times in such poor metabolizers.[39] In one study on 252 Americans, 84.3% were found to be "fast" (extensive) metabolizers, 6.8% to be "intermediate" metabolizers, and 8.8% were "slow" metabolizers of DXM.[40] There are a number of known alleles for CYP2D6, including several completely inactive variants. The distribution of alleles is uneven amongst ethnic groups; see also CYP2D6 - Ethnic factors in variability.

That's a load of crap. There are plenty of recorded instances of people combining DXM and amphetamine/wellbutrin and going into hypertensive crisis or serotonin syndrome... even pseudoephedrine is enough for some.

Just because you haven't had a bad experience with the combo doesn't mean it can't happen.

It's a dumb idea to mix DXM and Wellbutrin, full stop.

Yeah, never with WB, but I got the start of SS being purposfully ignorant of warnings, combining DXM+Meth (was suicidal for 3 days or so) and DXM+5-MAPB (spent entire exp nursing my body temp, 2 fans on me, ice on scalp, neck, and core, like 50°F out). Not fun, and that last one I'm all like, "FTW, Imma explore mild SS bc I know my shit and thus can push limits". Well, all I learned was to not repeat. So, useless, and a waste of drugs.

Tried to catch a buzz on WB once, consciously took a few hundred mg, aight but perpetually underwhelming. Blacked out at some point, evidently taking (at least out the bottle) 10ish more pills. Awoke to nonsense like I'd expect from a deliriant; no recollection, my rolling machine in the dog food, shoe in the microwave, remote in the fridge, etc. Lucky I even woke up, as I didn't see a need for a sitter. If you gonna keep using WB, please do be careful. I don't dish out that advice lightly, as I tend to scoff at such.

A few years ago, I used to love DXM. It was this exact combination that 'broke' my CEVs for all dissociatives. It started out as a normal trip, but there was an underlying feeling that something was about to go horribly wrong. About an hour after the effects took hold, my body began to feel incredibly strange (by this time I was a DXM veteran, I knew what it should and shouldn't feel like). After that something happened which made my brain feel like it shut down. I felt like a switch had been thrown and something broke. I was enjoying my CEVs at the time and when that happened, the CEVs shut off almost instantly.

After that trip the only CEVs ive been able to get from dissociatives are colorful clouds, nowhere near the complexity and clarity of what they once were. I stopped DXM after my last experiment with 1500 mgs was only able to yield these clouds.

I say avoid the combo, based on this experience.

Follow up. Apparently this combination is in Phase 3 clinical trials for major depressive disorder. Who knew?

I got there via a different rabbit hole where someone was trying to use memantine's liver enzyme inhibition to prevent the metabolism of bupropion into hydroxybupropion.

Last edited:
I got there via a different rabbit hole where someone was trying to use memantine's liver enzyme inhibition to prevent the metabolism of bupropion into hydroxybupropion.
Memantine inhibiting any liver enzyme to a relevant degree, do you have any source for this? Most of it is excreted without metabolism afaik..

A few years ago, I used to love DXM. It was this exact combination that 'broke' my CEVs for all dissociatives.
The first report ever I read where somebody got the same phenomenon. Just for me it wasn't bupropion but paroxetine, I was young and stupid, took a regular DXM dose (maybe 300-450mg) on top of the newly started paroxetine.. the trip started as usual but too there was a very weird feeling, that something is going to go terribly wrong, and then the colorful CEVs just freezed. I got a constant image like an oriental carpet which wouldn't change the least bit anymore. Eyes closed, eyes opened and closed again - the very same image would continue and it began to scare the shit out of me, given the weird, hot syrup like overall feeling and nausea.. nothing else which I remember of, the stuff faded away after some long hours, but ...
I never ever got any colors again from any dissociative. From then on I got no, or just slight black/white CEVs and no OEVs. Shrooms stopped to work, yet recently 1cP-LSD had the same effects as in the others, and gave me beautiful visuals, so it's mostly about dissociatives but still wondering and scared off whatever it might have done. I suspect it caused a permanent high serotonin tolerance (fried some 5-ht producing neurons, maybe, but guess it's much more complicated than that) which renders me unable to function w/o some sort of antidepressant, inability to trip with things less potent than the lysergamides, etc ...

Dextromethorphan/Bupropion: A Novel Oral NMDA (N-methyl-d-aspartate) Receptor Antagonist with Multimodal Activity - PubMed (nih.gov)
An Ingredient in Cough Syrup Could Work as an Antidepressant (vice.com)
Efficacy of dextromethorphan for the treatment of depression: a systematic review of preclinical and clinical trials - PubMed (nih.gov)

That said, as @Pfafffed already pointed out, it's now in Phase 3 trials, and from my experiences with taking just regular recommended dosages of DXM against cold whilst on bupropion 150mg/d, I can vouch for its effectiveness. In the trials they're also using low dosages like 25-40mg alongside 105mg bupropion etc. which makes sense, when it's a 1000% exposition we'd have 250mg DXM, which makes a good antidepressant dosage, just minus the dissociation from DXO and with a longer half life.

DXM is indeed an unique antidepressant, be it alone or with an enzyme inhibitor. My hunch is that the classification as SNRI is wrong, and it's a slight inverse agonist at the transporter (like methylphenidate and cocaine are, just that they're stronger) leading to some 5-ht release. It has a warmth all the other ADs lack, venlafaxine/more tramadol has a very slight aura of this (and a terrific withdrawal syndrome) but DXM is stronger. Or if not then it has to do with sigma, and/or possibly even a yet-to-be-identified target. Also it works almost instantly, in opposition to regular S/NRIs with their waiting period.
With bupropion added you get a stimulation bomb, for plain depression maybe the combination with low dose quinidine (a fraction of what's needed against arrythmia) might make sense too but they're obviously looking for a new cash cow.

Also it's not (primarily? DXM has some affinity too) about NMDA antagonism because while memantine too can have some sort of antidepressant effect, it's very different qualitatively.

Just don't rush into high dosages, seems like a serotonin-noradrenaline syndrome can and will kill something relevant for closed eye visuals ... :(

Follow up. Apparently this combination is in Phase 3 clinical trials for major depressive disorder. Who knew?

Approved and on the market as Auvelity. 45mg DXM, 105mg Bupropion. Maximum 2 pills a day, and instructions emphasize keeping 8 hours in between first and second dose. It's a little puzzling when Bupropion XL is often prescribed in 300mg, even 450mg per day, patients have to cut this down to 210mg. Definitely doesn't cause serotonin syndrome by itself.