• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc DXM actually worth the hype?

attention_horror_621

Bluelighter
most otc drugs i try end up fucking sucking and i come 2 the conclusion that people only hype them up 2 cope bc they cant get real shit. ive heard dxm compared to, like, shitty ketamine (which ive tried and enjoyed to an extent). ordered a bottle of freebase tabs and just kinda wondering if i should expect a good time or an hour and a half of puking followed by a night of laying awake on my back while my heart beats out of my chest.

thx u xoxo!! ^3^

I never once enjoyed DXM at any dose, ranging for threshold to around 600mg or so. Then again, not a big dissociative fan, with the exception of nitrous oxide, but there is alot more to that story than just NMDA-antagonism.

Doesn't feel anything like ketamine to me. Then again I was never a fan of ketamine either (although when I fooled around with ketamine intravenously it almost felt like an entirely different drug, far more euphoric, it hits like a freight train and is similarly dangerous).

I've never enjoyed DXM at any dose either. Sometimes I like to add low/moderate doses to certain psychedelics to potentiate them but that's about it, by itself it's just a dirty feeling lackluster drug. It can also be very dangerous when abused in high or frequent doses and cause permanent damage.

It has as much to do with ketamine as methamphetamine has to do with caffeine.
If you like it, you might like it very, very much. If you dislike it, you probably do it whole-heartedly.

most otc drugs i try end up fucking sucking and i come 2 the conclusion that people only hype them up 2 cope bc they cant get real shit. ive heard dxm compared to, like, shitty ketamine (which ive tried and enjoyed to an extent). ordered a bottle of freebase tabs and just kinda wondering if i should expect a good time or an hour and a half of puking followed by a night of laying awake on my back while my heart beats out of my chest.

thx u xoxo!! ^3^

No, but if you don't have anything else it's okay.

I was one of the people who loved DXM enough to get somewhat addicted to it, did low doses (75-150mg) every or every second day for extended periods of time. It was a great antidepressant and social lubricant but I developed insomnia and started to drink myself into sleep which was much more destructive than DXM by itself. Sometimes I did also higher dosages up to 450mg (500+mg gave me panic attacks) but the most enjoyable were plateau one dosages.

Later I got methoxetamine, Keta and other dissociative RCs which I liked as well, there aren't many similarities between them and DXM but I'd say who likes DXM will also like the arylcyclohexylamine dissos.

Yeah, DXM was the single most abuseable drug which was still OTC, in my country of origin its now prescription only because of teens overdoing it.

Dissociatives were both curse and blessing for my life, I don't know, maybe more of a curse because I'd be in a much less dark place in life without them (drugs at all, not just dissociatives but these were my entrance into the world if drugs and nothing hit me harder) but then again it weren't the drugs but repercussions related to the war on drug which had such a tax onto me. They are definitely worth the hype and real drugs, but also not everybody likes them. I'd say more so with DXM because it depends on your liver enzymes whether you get the good effects or not.

Last edited:
For more DXM is a remarkable drug. And for me the music enchantment is remarkable. I have done the drug probably over a hundred times and the effects are always strange and fun. However, the drug isn't always enjoyable. For me I struggle to sleep after a DXM trip whether its Hbr, freebase, or polisterix. The afterglow is nice the following day as well. I recommend that you at least try it and form an opinion at that point. Depending on how much you do will result in SIGNIFICANTLY different effects.

DXM gave me mystical experiences in my late 20's.
It also greatly enhanced my music appreciation.
However, I went well over my 50 trip limit & now DXM hates me & every time I do it, I get mild to moderate serotonin syndrome symptoms & no trip.

People either love DXM or hate it. I was one of the few people who actually loved it — although this was in my mid-late teenage years, and even a little bit in my early-twenties. I tried it again when I was 29 for the first time in years, and I couldn't stand it. Now that I'm in my thirties, I never plan on using it again (because of my last experience, years ago). In my opinion, it just seems like something that's a lot more fun when you're a kid. Also, some people say that after a certain amount of DXM trips, the "magic" goes away... and it's just not the same.

It can give you out-of-body experiences, though - if you get the dosage right. I remember once when I was 19, I took some and after it had kicked in, I was standing in my room watching myself sleep. I could literally see my own body lying on my futon. I'll always remember that experience.

Just please make sure if you decide to try some, that you're not on any SSRIs — or any other medication that activates your serotonin receptors — as it can cause potentially fatal serotonin syndrome.

The simple answer here would be, no. I think there can be value in any experience, good or bad, but not all psychoactive substances are created equal. I think there are of course going to be some genetic influences at play dictating preference for different drugs, but in general, Dextromethorphan (DXM) is a drug tried a couple of times and then discarded by most. If I were doing life in prison and my only excitement was a weekly DXM trip, I'm sure I would end up very attached to it. Luckily, that's not my world.

I've had some cool experiences on DXM, but I think DXM, much like the Shaman's experience, is not like say, a joint. It's not necessarily fun or relaxing, but might leave you with some visions to refer to after the fact that might be positive.

I think a lot of people's complaint is the "body load".

DXM gave me mystical experiences in my late 20's.
It also greatly enhanced my music appreciation.
However, I went well over my 50 trip limit & now DXM hates me & every time I do it, I get mild to moderate serotonin syndrome symptoms & no trip.
People either love DXM or hate it. I was one of the few people who actually loved it — although this was in my mid-late teenage years, and even a little bit in my early-twenties. I tried it again when I was 29 for the first time in years, and I couldn't stand it. Now that I'm in my thirties, I never plan on using it again (because of my last experience, years ago). In my opinion, it just seems like something that's a lot more fun when you're a kid. Also, some people say that after a certain amount of DXM trips, the "magic" goes away... and it's just not the same.

It can give you out-of-body experiences, though - if you get the dosage right. I remember once when I was 19, I took some and after it had kicked in, I was standing in my room watching myself sleep. I could literally see my own body lying on my futon. I'll always remember that experience.

Just please make sure if you decide to try some, that you're not on any SSRIs — or any other medication that activates your serotonin receptors — as it can cause potentially fatal serotonin syndrome.
Did losing the magic also mess with how you experience other dissos?

In 2020 I was using meth and DXM on the regular. I would drink an entire bottle of DXM syrup. It was intense, but as soon as I realized how high a risk I was for serotonin syndrome - reading BL. That was done. I cite it as the first time Bluelight saved my life.

Imagine how embarrassing it would be to attend your 29 year olds funeral from meth and cough syrup!?

DXM has been a good drug every once in awhile… like every ONCE in awhile for me. Had a phase at 16 and that one at 29. Done.

DXM has been a good drug every once in awhile… like every ONCE in awhile for me. Had a phase at 16 and that one at 29. Done.
I introduced somebody to MXE, she loved it at first but then claimed to have 'seen it' and to be past the substance. I'm kinda jealous because for me dissociatives never stopped to be appealing despite a deep dark addiction to them during the past years after the love of my live dropped me, which caused me to lose a lot.

I introduced somebody to MXE, she loved it at first but then claimed to have 'seen it' and to be past the substance. I'm kinda jealous because for me dissociatives never stopped to be appealing despite a deep dark addiction to them during the past years after the love of my live dropped me, which caused me to lose a lot.
I haven’t been too far down the hole with disassociatives. But, I did once (I was doing meth and k back to back IV) mix a spoon with both meth and k. That was one of the scariest experiences ever. Bad closed eye hallucinations and dreadful mood for a decaying life kind of thing. I had to go to work later. I felt like shit. I stayed an hour.

10 days later my negative COVID check is in and I’ve now got all my medical appts up with rheumatology and etc. then my partner at the time came home with COVID..

AHH

So I lost out on a Second Lead Programmer position at a furniture factory which ran a whole host of CNC type setups. I had the best resume upon application with 4 years experience and a college cert. Well, MethamKetiBet wrecked that one.

I emailed HR and explained my plight as a medical one. Didn’t get hired in the end.

He wasn’t happy. Me either. Fuck I wish I would’ve just stuck that first shift through. I’d be making a LOT more than I ever have before if I stuck to it.

Later in another town I was hired f/t to machine operate in this wing town and it was good pay. I nailed the interview by docking Google for their employee manual ahead of time. Had a start date. It was 20-mid/high number per hour to start.

Ooops! Meth! Unstable place! D’oh!