• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

During Tapering Do You Ever Give Yourself a "Break"?

Asparagus_Prince

Bluelighter
I have 2 questions at the very bottom of this post. Feel free to answer either or both.

For those of you experienced in tapering down to ease withdrawal symptoms and/or to get off a particular drug altogether, do you ever give yourself an occasional bump to help with sanity?

I don't know if I'm explaining it well.

For example, imagine the below is a daily representation of how much you take over a 14-day span...

Day 1: *******************************
Day 2: ***************************
Day 3: ***********************
Day 4: ********************
Day 5: ******************
Day 6: ***************
Day 7: ***********************
Day 8: **************
Day 9: *********
Day 10: ******
Day 11: **************
Day 12: ******
Day 13: ****
Day 14: ***

Notice Days 7 and 11 go in the other direction.

I'm not saying this is a good or bad idea. I'm just curious how common it is.

1. Have you ever purposely done it this way?
2. Do you think it's a good or bad idea?

If I do a tightly planned taper then it only goes down, but if i'm doing a more "free form i'm going to reduce my dose with no specific goals" thing then it'll go up and down but I keep a subconscious track of it and it tends to go down generally.

It's perfectly fine to taper like that as long as your weekly dose goes down in total and you're reducing at a level you're comfortable with.

But if you "cheat" a few too many days in a row you might fuck up the taper

Yeah. I would also like to make an addendum to my post, that I also have failed every "free form" taper i've done
Yea Iv never really been any good at tapering, but I guess my lack of self control is what makes me an addict, unfortunately it usually comes down to maintenance or cold turkey

Yea Iv never really been any good at tapering, but I guess my lack of self control is what makes me an addict, unfortunately it usually comes down to maintenance or cold turkey
It's the staple of addicts everywhere haha. I've had success tapering in a controlled manner previously, but just not in a more loose fashion.

And OP, this is not to say that tapering that way won't work, you can do it that way. It just leaves a lot less room for error as you're a half step away from ruining your taper.