how many stars?

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

StarOceanHouse

Bluelight Crew
So I've never seen the movie Dune. Is the film really that bad ? The only reason I haven't seen it is due to all the bad reviews it has gotten. Anyone here actually like the film? Would it be a waste of a couple hours to watch this film? I've always been intrigued by it but just never got around to watch it.

I think they just ran out of budget monies and called it a wrap with a big ol' gunfight.
The first few hours were classic Lynch, I though. I liked it. But, what do I know?

*I haven't seen the whole thing since I was a kid.
*It does have a strong cult base of fans who think it's superb.
*Those fans almost universally say the extended--not theatrical--version is better.
*General opinion beyond them is that the Sci-Fi Channel's miniseries (along with Children of Dune) is better than Lynch's version.

For my part, I have a copy, but never feel like popping it in for old time's sake, and less so after reading the entire series a few years ago; the books are just too damned good. I'd say watch it and form your own opinion. Hell, I might even watch it and chime back in to this thread...

from what ive read Lynch hates the movie. I think its the classier version, the production of the sets is awesome. Great cast list. Sting. Toto. Patrick Stewart. I'd watch it if you liked Twin Peaks. Have you read the book? But the miniseries is far better overall. Classic mid-80s film. A must watch.

I just finished watching the extended release version of the film. It was thoroughly enjoyable. A bit slow in the beginning but picked up during the middle of the film. It wasn't a bad film at all but it definitely wasn't amazing. The plot was a bit difficult to figure out but reading about the book helped clear up some things.

Time to watch the miniseries. :)

It is fairly disappointing if you've read the book, as some of the themes are dealt with completely wrong (such as the end of the movie). However, it looks fucking beautiful, and every frame just looks cool. I loved it as a kid and thought it was royally fucked, but in a good way. Now, it is too slow and misses the nuances of such an excellent book. I will be re-reading the original 6 book series as soon as I clear my current plate. Easily my favorite series of all time.

I'm not one of those assholes who points out that the book is better than the movie. But this is a shining example of that, so I cant resist

It is fairly disappointing if you've read the book, as some of the themes are dealt with completely wrong (such as the end of the movie). However, it looks fucking beautiful, and every frame just looks cool. I loved it as a kid and thought it was royally fucked, but in a good way. Now, it is too slow and misses the nuances of such an excellent book. I will be re-reading the original 6 book series as soon as I clear my current plate. Easily my favorite series of all time.

Yeah, to be honest with you I saw and fell in love with the movie long before I read the books. I've been able to keep them fairly separate and distinct thus not diminishing my enjoyment of either. :)

The Sci-fi version is far better. The original is very bad, especially if you've read the books.

I saw this movie several years ago, and could not really figure out what I was watching. Then, I read the book, and was blown away by it. Now, when I watch the movie, my inner voice just screams and writhes in agony at all the terrible compromises made. Normally I am one to keep books and movie adaptations separate, but this is just such an obvious fumble that it stands out in my mind as one of the worst of them all.