• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drugs Unlimited, Mike Power, The Guardian

Si Dread

Bluelighter
How easy is it to invent and manufacture a recreational drug that does not break any UK drug laws? I just spent the last two months doing exactly that – and the answer might surprise you.

Since 2008, the emergence of legal highs has wrong-footed policymakers, parents and police. These drugs imitate the effects of cocaine, amphetamines, MDMA and cannabis. They are popular, legal to take and supply, and their use is growing. Barely a week goes by without a press or TV report of a death, or major psychological consequences, as a result of using them. These reports often claim that it is a trivial task to take a banned drug and, with a little molecular trickery, get a Chinese lab to produce a new, legal version.

Most stories about legal and illegal drugs in the mass media are at best hysterical and inaccurate, and at worst simply untrue, so I decided to put this particular claim to the test.

The market in legal highs is growing. In 2009, the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction's early warning system discovered 24 new drugs. In 2010, it found another 41; in 2011, another 49; and in 2012, there were 73 more. By October 2013, a further 56 new compounds had already been identified: a total of 243 new drugs in just four years.

Or rather, make that 244, because as part of a two-month investigation for the online science and technology publisher Matter, I just devised a new, legal drug, had it synthesised in China, and delivered to a PO Box in central London. It is a close chemical cousin of a substance that was well-loved by some of the world's most famous musicians, and, it's rumoured, by John F Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, and Truman Capote – but was banned decades ago.

There's a bag of it sat in its courier packaging on my desk as I write. There's also a sample at Cardiff University, where Andrew Westwell, a brilliant chemist at the WEDINOS project, a Welsh government-funded initiative that tracks and identifies new drugs. He has analysed it and proved its authenticity and guessed at its likely effects if taken: a stimulant.

All it took me was a few dozen phone calls to Shanghai, a gmail account, a bank transfer, a PO Box set up in a false name, a few emails to contacts on web forums that gave me the synthesis and the modification and the name of a friendly laboratory, and a bit of reading. Job done.

In its latest World Drug Report, the United Nations acknowledges (pdf): "While new harmful substances have been emerging with unfailing regularity on the drug scene, the international drug control system is floundering, for the first time, under the speed and creativity of the phenomenon."

There are now more legal drugs on sale than were even dreamed of when the first global drug laws were written: the 1961 and 1971 UN drug conventions proscribe just 234. They were written when the Beatles were still performing, in an age when the internet did not exist.

As Australian medic David Caldicott told me, "If you treated any illness with the same antibiotic for 50 years, medical people would be stunned if resistance hadn't developed." New strains and mutations call for new medicines.

So if new drugs are the problem, what is the answer?

The response of UK governments, of all stripes, has been wholly inadequate. The Conservative/Lib Dem coalition introduced Temporary Class Drug Orders (TCDO) in November 2011, which allow drugs to be temporarily controlled for a year and then banned once the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) has pondered their harms.

This law has done nothing to slow down chemical innovation. Since the NBOME-series of hallucinogenic drugs was banned this summer under a TCDO, a new family of equipotent hallucinogens – about which we know even less – has come to market, known as the NBOH-series of drugs. When 6-APB, an ecstasy-like drug was banned, 5-EAPB came to market. After methoxetamine – a ketamine derivative – was banned, a distant, inbred cousin from a far-flung branch of the chemical family tree, diphenidine, has come on sale. For every synthetic cannabinoid the authorities have banned, a half-dozen more have popped up, all of which are less understood by doctors than cannabis.

There is simply no let-up. In the time it took to write my last story about legal highs, five new drugs came on the market. Each of them will be banned, as will the legal high that I have just commissioned. A new modification will fill the gap within days.

It is not an especially simple or trivial matter to untangle the UK's drug laws and find a drug that can be sold legally, but it can be done with a little effort, as my investigation showed. It can, however, be a hugely profitable affair. Who cares about the consequences for users' health? Certainly not the vendors of these drugs, who dodge the law by saying they are not for human consumption.

The real issue is this: we are confusing cause and effect. The reason so many new drugs are appearing is precisely because we keep banning them. That approach worked in the 1960s and 1970s, and even perhaps until the 1980s. But in the internet era, it is impossible to control this market. More laws equals more drugs. If I, a journalist who until recently knew nothing of chemistry, can commission a new drug in a matter of weeks, so can many more people. And they will.

Policymakers' prime concern should not be which drugs are legal or illegal, but which are the most harmful. Their next problem is how to regulate the market in psychoactive chemicals. That will be more complicated than anyone – even those who advocate radical new approaches, including decriminalisation – dare consider.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/oct/31/drugs-legal-high?CMP=twt_fd

end prohibition. study which are the most harmful and control the market thru regulation. if some drugs were legal then this would pretty much go away from the mass public. the consumption of new and potentially dangerous substances would fade back in to the obscurity where it existed in at the beginning of the RC market in the late 90's. if ecstasy and ketamine were legal why would anyone bother with MDPV or MDAI or seritoni or mxe or what ever is next.

For sure! ^

I should have titled this "British journalist invents own drug", like I did in EADD ;)

He's getting ahead of himself... he doesn't know it's a psychoactive drug until someone has tried it.

He's getting ahead of himself... he doesn't know it's a psychoactive drug until someone has tried it.

Such an excellent point, who remembers all those research chemical companies in India and China that used to be in the psychoactive game, but the scientists changed their minds, and their company missions now are to cure cancer, that's why they're releasing so many different strains/analogues every week.

He's a journalist but shit, he is telling a fairly accurate story.

If you mess with what should not be, then it will change to where you can't...

This is a lesson they just can't learn.

if ecstasy and ketamine were legal why would anyone bother with MDPV or MDAI or seritoni or mxe or what ever is next.
I disagree with this last part of your post. Many prefer MXE to ketamine (not incapacitating, mentally more functional, stronger ego boost, with a better afterglow), mephedrone to cocaine, smoked MDPV to crack, or 6-APB to MDMA (longer lasting with comparatively little depressive after effects). And they should. Even mephedrone, with all the purple knees and other detrimental effects it caused/causes, seemingly resulted in a dramatic decrease in cocaine overdose deaths and emergency room visits in the UK during the height of its popularity because people apparently substituted it for cocaine (with the total number of deaths and ER visits attributed to mephedrone overall still far fewer than cocaine).

Though designer drugs are often created simply to get around existing laws, sometimes they are improvements on illegal street drugs in various ways by accident. So what if, rather than the motivation being to skirt laws, it was to create all-around more ideal recreational substances, and rather than (largely) apish criminal opportunists being behind new substance development, it was brilliant and principled research scientists backed by massive corporate funding who were? I don't think we should accept the legalization of existing illegal drugs, which, with the exception of greats like cannabis/LSD/psychedelic mushrooms, are crude and dangerous anachronisms. Rather, the goal should be safer, cheaper, less physically addictive, more pleasurable and enriching experiences, whatever their form. What's really complicated to consider, and maybe something like this is what the writer of the article is referring to towards the end, is the effect that having a relatively safe and accessible source of enormous personal contentment would likely have on religion and consumerism. I think that's the central unspoken fear that "decent society" has always had of recreational drugs.

This is an severe contradiction...
I've experienced more pleasure from LSD than I ever have from any opiate or stimulant, as have many who frequent the psychedelic drugs forum here, and it's far safer than any recreational drug from those classes, not physically addictive, and would be far cheaper per dose if it could be legally produced. Being more pleasurable doesn't mean being more addictive because being more reinforcing is not necessarily commensurate with being more subjectively pleasurable. Or think of phenibut compared to GHB, a drug with a similar mechanism of action that most would deem more pleasurable. GHB is not safer than phenibut, but users will not experience physical withdrawals from it nearly as quickly at comparable levels of subjective intoxication. There are ways to make inroads towards more ideal drugs. If you reply please make an argument rather than just a quick dismissal that many will agree with thoughtlessly because it's fast and easy to.

The real issue is this: we are confusing cause and effect. The reason so many new drugs are appearing is precisely because we keep banning them. That approach worked in the 1960s and 1970s, and even perhaps until the 1980s. But in the internet era, it is impossible to control this market. More laws equals more drugs. If I, a journalist who until recently knew nothing of chemistry, can commission a new drug in a matter of weeks, so can many more people. And they will.

BAM!!! That's journalism right there folks. he answered the why? Takes balls to do that. Much admiration for this reporter.

I've experienced more pleasure from LSD than I ever have from any opiate or stimulant, as have many who frequent the psychedelic drugs forum here, and it's far safer than any recreational drug from those classes, not physically addictive, and would be far cheaper per dose if it could be legally produced. Being more pleasurable doesn't mean being more addictive because being more reinforcing is not necessarily commensurate with being more subjectively pleasurable. Or think of phenibut compared to GHB, a drug with a similar mechanism of action that most would deem more pleasurable. GHB is not safer than phenibut, but users will not experience physical withdrawals from it nearly as quickly at comparable levels of subjective intoxication. There are ways to make inroads towards more ideal drugs. If you reply please make an argument rather than just a quick dismissal that many will agree with thoughtlessly because it's fast and easy to.

Naming particular drugs is highly irrelevant and creates bias in the cause. I'm never going to do any arguing with that... THAT'S A WASTE OF TIME. Everyone will differ on that.

There are other routes of danger from drug use other than addiction and reinforcement...

People attempting to do certain activities under pretenses of intoxication are not safer, cheaper, nor more pleasurable... Doing drugs irresponsibly isn't safe. Jail, damn sure isn't enriching... Hospitalization and incarceration isn't cheap.

Death is real. Very real.

Everything else you said was spot on in my book except for that part. Drugs will always have some cost to society... That my friend is reality. WE CAN MINIMIZE IT.

I'd say keep all the rules pertaining to the endangerment of other people while intoxicated, but not to the consumers and supply of ANY drugs... All drugs should be available to anyone who wants and is responsible with them.

Good enough argument for you?

More laws set in place never did nor will sway the amount of people using...
Jail mostly tells one that our society isn't shit like we thought it was. Leading to even more malicious behaviour in some cases by people who experience incarceration. (They become better criminals.)

Same goes for drug users. Jail teaches and makes us evaluate where and when to use. Not why or how... Our house should always be option one. (No one should be able to tell us we can do shit there unless it harms others.)

The argument that all these drugs wouldn't take place if we legalized all the classics is highly misleading.

People are always going to want better cheaper more effective drugs. Safety is not even really secure with most drugs anyway to to habituation... You will push it to the absolute limit with most things at least sometimes. It's just how we are wired to perceive and chase pleasure.

We can't sit and point at certain things... We gotta cover all aspects of drug usage.

I can't advocate drug use without proper care for the ill living people who fall into them either...

(I've joined this thread late being away on hols until a few days ago)

I hate to be a pessimist here but one thing the article doesn't seem to address is the possibility of brain-dead legislation like the Drugs and Poisons Legislation Amendment (New Psychoactive and Other Substances) Bill 2013 in New South Wales, AU, happening in the UK.

Think it can't happen in the UK? Think again.

I remember seeing Teresa May's eyes light up during the recent review who's recommendations she ignored when someone from the ACMD suggested drugs could be banned based on the effect they had on the brain rather than their chemical composition.

Just because the RC market can outpace the current legislation doesn't mean they can't just invent a new way of prohibition that fixes the law. The result of such a law would be that any RCs would have to be imported illegally. There would still probably be more RCs than traditional drugs since a lab in China can churn out more stuff than some guy in a hidden garage.

I know Mike Powers is on BL. If he reads this post I would like to know what his views are if this curveball is ever thrown at us.