• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drugs in plain sight!

'medicine cabinet'

Bluelighter
So under normal circumstances I'd never post something like this......but..This is by far the worst/best scare tactic BS nonsensical overly dramatized fodder for idiots to read and disseminate to other idiots...Enjoy.

http://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...-hide-drugs-plain-sight-warn-police/97393840/

Donna M Rolando | Staff Writer, @Dmmrolando
Updated 7:16 p.m. ET Feb. 3, 2017
Presentation aimed to educate parents on drugs and drug paraphernalia
HAWTHORNE – Is it a straw or drug paraphernalia? Is it just a cookie or a method used by teens to get high anywhere?

These and other "hidden in plain sight" drug stories were shared with parents during an anti-drug presentation at Hawthorne High School this week.
Timothy Shoemaker, a state and nationally recognized Drug Abuse Resistance Education officer, delivered the program, High in Plain Sight, to show parents how everyday items such as soda cans and umbrellas can be used as drug hiding place for teens.
“What you saw tonight is very, very scary … and real. We live in a scary world,” said Joanne Graziano, chairwoman of the Hawthorne Municipal Alliance, which arranged for the program with the Police Department and school board.

“It’s so different from when we were growing up” Megan Blau, the mother of a 10-year-old boy, said following the program. “They (teen drug users) are so much more advanced than I would have thought.”

Cynthia Williamson, the mother of a 12-year-old boy, described the program’s content as frightening and said she would “absolutely” put into play some of the recommended strategies.
Shoemaker brought along a table full of ordinary grocery products, some of them strictly drug-related, as a show and tell. Parents looked over the items after the session to see how a soda bottle, a soup container or a ball cap might hold secret compartments for drugs.
The drug scene has changed, speakers said. Parents were advised to keep an eye out for everything from new synthetic drugs to stronger forms of marijuana.

It's not easy to detect marijuana use, parents were told, and were advised not to rely on the odor.
THC, the main mind-altering ingredient found in the cannabis plant, can take many forms, including edibles, which do not look out of place in a student’s lunchbox.
“We’re seeing people overdose on marijuana for the first time,” said Shoemaker, a sergeant in the Ramsey Police Department. When THC is the ingredient in a cookie, he said, it takes longer for someone to get high. But after they have eaten a few cookies, he said, the drug reaches a dangerous level.
Vape accessories have given marijuana users another scent-free way to get high, sometimes in public under the guise of electronic smoking. Shoemaker said that, at first, the police didn’t realize that dabs, small wax-like substance shapes, actually contained a concentrated cannabis extract. The dabs contain oil extracted from the cannabis flower, and getting high involves rolling up the dabs, placing them on the vaporizer’s coil, and then inhaling it to get high, Shoemaker said.
Today’s marijuana is more potent, Shoemaker said, and studies have linked it to schizophrenia, cancer and further addiction.

Once they get to college, marijuana users may turn to stimulants such as Ritalin to compensate for memory disorders and other marijuana side effects, he said, adding they may become poly-drug users before graduation.

As for the heroin "epidemic," Shoemaker said many teens and young adults, particularly in Bergen County areas, first start with snorting the drug, but then quickly move to injections. Heroin paraphernalia includes razor blades, business cards, wax folds and straws.
Alcohol is also smoked now, getting users super drunk, Shoemaker said. Alcohol mixed with energy drinks is also another issue, he said, adding it depresses the central nervous system but also gets users “fired up.” Vodka gets soaked into candy to give each piece the equivalent of a shot. But a parent may not become suspicious of a bag of gummy candy.
Additional dangers come from inhalants, “which can be instantly fatal,” and energizing supplements, including one that turned out to be synthetic meth marketed as an exercise aide, Shoemaker said.

Lastly, he mentioned Flakka, nicknamed "the insanity drug" and more powerful than heroin or cocaine. He said the use of Flakka is coming to New Jersey, which is frightening since it is a “morph” of bath salts, which has led some to cannibalism and self-mutilation.
The best way to fight the drug epidemic, Shoemaker said, is for parents to become educated and aware.
Shoemaker recommended testing hair samples for a six-month drug history or using urine test kits with a 24-hour range.
The problem is that products are sold to fool the tests, including detox shampoo, fake urine and herbal cleansers that can help the user’s own body produce a clean test, he said.

Yet another way to keep teens free from drugs is the good old-fashioned hug. Shoemaker said to welcome children into the home after school or late nights with a hug
"Give them a hug or a handshake and quickly scan for odors or other evidence of substance abuse,” he said, adding: “Some of these things are just screaming drug use.”

Watch out! Flakka is on its way to NJ! My guess, headed to Camden to illegally dump stuff in the del river.

Dumbass parents who drink so much and take so many pills they forgot that their kids get all their drugs from them. Special kind of stupid.

medicine cabinet said:
It's not easy to detect marijuana use, parents were told, and were advised not to rely on the odor.
If parents can't tell whether or not their kid is using by observing their behavior, they shouldn't have procreated in the first place.

If parents can't tell whether or not their kid is using by observing their behavior, they shouldn't have procreated in the first place.
Hahahah yes.

"Why does little Johny look so tired? I guess he hasn't been sleeping well... for the past two years... derp."

The kind of parents at these meetings probably aren't too hip.

I thought this was satire at first.. I'm still not sure actually.

“What you saw tonight is very, very scary … and real. We live in a scary world,”

“We’re seeing people overdose on marijuana for the first time”

Vodka gets soaked into candy to give each piece the equivalent of a shot. But a parent may not become suspicious of a bag of gummy candy.

Yet another way to keep teens free from drugs is the good old-fashioned hug. Shoemaker said to welcome children into the home after school or late nights with a hug
"Give them a hug or a handshake and quickly scan for odors or other evidence of substance abuse,” he said, adding: “Some of these things are just screaming drug use.”

Some truly disturbed people.. imagine having someone greet you with an insincere handshake as they routinely sniff at you as walk through the door.. That kind of behaviour is far more concerning than flakka - I'd be like "what the fuck do you keep smelling me for, have you guys been eating my vodka gummies or what?"

When they said give your children a hug I thought they meant, love your children and they'll be less likely to use. Nope it's just so you can feel them up and smell them. Why would you show your children genuine compassion?

When they said give your children a hug I thought they meant, love your children and they'll be less likely to use. Nope it's just so you can feel them up and smell them. Why would you show your children genuine compassion?

Yeah I have a first hand acct of that kind of. When I was using and pretty much on the street if my parents would let me in my mom would always ask to wash my clothes so she could see my arms.