Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Druginteractions with MDMA

mb-909

Bluelighter
"MDMA Drug−Drug Interactions

MDMA, once taken, is not selective to CYP2D6 and interacts with several isozymes of P450. In fact, the contribution of CYP2D6 to MDMA metabolism has been reported to be less than 30% (Segura et al., 2005). Thus, several other P450 isoenzymes such as CYP1A2 and, to a lesser extent, CYP2B6 and CYP3A4 have the capacity to contribute to the microsomal oxidative metabolism of MDMA and MDA. A recent study showed that while CYP2D6 was inhibited by MDMA, CYP1A2 increased its activity (Yubero-Lahoz et al., 2012). Another clinical trial showed there was a conversion from MDMA to HHMA in vivo, despite the CYP2D6 inhibition by paroxetine, suggesting alternative metabolic pathways (Segura et al., 2005). Other enzymes may, therefore, become more predominant once CYP2D6 is inhibited which could further contribute to MDMA metabolic disposition.

The administration of inhibitors of CYP2D6 activity can influence the metabolism of MDMA, and in turn MDMA can inhibit drugs metabolized by CYP2D6. Previous administration of antidepressants with CYP2D6 inhibitory actions, such as paroxetine, reboxetine, or duloxetine, produce 15–30% of MDMA concentrations, but decrease concentrations of its metabolite HMMA by 40–50% (Segura et al., 2005; Farré et al., 2007; Hysek et al., 2011, 2012). Moreover, the pharmacological effects of MDMA are decreased, probably due to competition for the uptake transporter decreasing MDMA entry in neurons.
CYP2D6 is also the source of a number of drug–amphetamine interactions because it regulates the biotransformation of many therapeutic drugs. Antiretroviral drugs (ritonavir, a known CYP2D6 inhibitor) and MAO inhibitors have been reported to be the main cause of life threatening interactions with MDMA (Henry and Hill, 1998; de la Torre et al., 1999; Papaseit et al., 2012)."

http://journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fgene.2012.00235/full

If somebody takes another drug working over the P450 enzymes the interactions can be the following:

Enzymatic inhibition

If drug A is metabolized by a cytochrome P450 enzyme and drug B inhibits or decreases the enzyme's activity, then drug A will remain with high levels in the plasma for longer as its inactivation is slower. As a result, enzymatic inhibition will cause an increase in the drug's effect. This can cause a wide range of adverse reactions.
It is possible that this can occasionally lead to a paradoxical situation, where the enzymatic inhibition causes a decrease in the drug's effect: if the metabolism of drug A gives rise to product A2, which actually produces the effect of the drug. If the metabolism of drug A is inhibited by drug B the concentration of A2 that is present in the blood will decrease, as will the final effect of the drug.

Enzymatic induction

If drug A is metabolized by a cytochrome P450 enzyme and drug B induces or increases the enzyme's activity, then blood plasma concentrations of drug A will quickly fall as its inactivation will take place more rapidly. As a result, enzymatic induction will cause a decrease in the drug's effect.
As in the previous case it is possible to find paradoxical situations where an active metabolite causes the drug's effect. In this case the increase in active metabolite A2 (following the previous example) produces an increase in the drug's effect.
It can often occur that a patient is taking two drugs that are enzymatic inductors, one inductor and the other inhibitor or both inhibitors, which greatly complicates the control of an individual's medication and the avoidance of possible adverse reactions.

This means that you can harm yourself even if you don't feel the interactions... Don't mix drugs working on P450 enzymes (antidepressant, neuroleptics, grapefruit and so on).

I try to figuere out if Abilify inhibits or induces the P450 enzymes... This happens if you don't inform yourself right. Makes me crazy if I think about taking MDMA while on a low low dose of around 0,5 mg Abilify 8(. Well I don't have to mention that it didn't work. It was probably the reason why I couldn't sleep, in case of enzymatic inhibition, because it increased the amount of Abilify in the plasma greatly.
Probably increased the amount of MDMA in the boodstream, too.

Last edited:
Found this:

"Q: Hi. I have been on and off the pill Abilify 5mg for a year now (just started taking it again this week) I was wondering are there any harmful effects of using MDMA or "Molly" with this pill or dosage? What are they? Will I even feel the effects of the MDMA while on this dosage of abilify? Can you explain in a way that is easy to understand? Thanks"

"A: Abilify is metabolised by one of the primary enzymes also involved in MDMA metabolism, the CYP2D6 enzyme - This means that if you’re already taking ablify regularly, it may interfere with the uptake and activation of MDMA in the body, and probably make it significantly weaker or longer to come on. There isn’t much information around, but from what I can tell based on the pharmacodynamics of aripiprazole, you won’t be risking any harmful interactions.

That being said, you’re in mostly unknown territory, so if you’re going to procedd, do so carefully - Start with half your usual dose and give your body plenty of time to process it before you think about redosing, just in case some negative interaction does eventuate.

EDIT: Just found some more info that suggests ablify will increase the stimulant and euphoric effects of methamphetamine because of its dopamine agonist properties. MDMA is significantly more serotonergic than dopaminergic, but both pathways play a role - So it may appear more speedy and less ‘lovey’, but this is only me musing aloud. hard to tell for sure
lach.gif
"

EDIT: http://drugquestions.tumblr.com/pos...ve-been-on-and-off-the-pill-abilify-5mg-for-a

Last edited:
MDMA reaches maximal concentrations in the blood stream between 1.5 and 3 hours after ingestion. It is then slowly metabolized and excreted, with levels decreasing to half their peak concentration over approximately 8 hours. Thus, there are still high MDMA levels in the body when the experiential effects have mostly ended, indicating that acutetolerance has developed to the actions of MDMA. Taking additional supplements of MDMA at this point, therefore, produces higher concentrations of MDMA in the blood and brain than might be expected based on the perceived effects.

Metabolites of MDMA that have been identified in humans include 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA), 4-hydroxy-3-methoxy-methamphetamine (HMMA), 4-hydroxy-3-methoxyamphetamine (HMA), 3,4-dihydroxyamphetamine (DHA) (also called alpha-methyldopamine (α-Me-DA)), 3,4-methylenedioxyphenylacetone (MDP2P), and N-hydroxy-3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDOH). The contributions of these metabolites to the psychoactive and toxic effects of MDMA are an area of active research. Sixty-five percent of MDMA is excreted unchanged in the urine (in addition, 7% is metabolized into MDA) during the 24 hours after ingestion.

MDMA is known to be metabolized by two main metabolic pathways: (1) O-demethylenation followed by catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT)-catalyzed methylation and/or glucuronide/sulfate conjugation; and (2) N-dealkylation, deamination, and oxidation to the corresponding benzoic acid derivatives conjugated with glycine. The metabolism may be primarily by cytochrome P450 (CYP450) enzymes (CYP2D6 (in humans, but CYP2D1 in mice), andCYP3A4) and COMT. Complex, nonlinear pharmacokinetics arise via autoinhibition of CYP2D6and CYP2D8, resulting in zeroth order kinetics at higher doses. It is thought that this can result in sustained and higher concentrations of MDMA if the user takes consecutive doses of the drug.

Because the enzyme CYP2D6 is deficient or totally absent in some people, it was once hypothesized that these people might have elevated risk when taking MDMA. However, there is still no evidence for this theory and available evidence argues against it. It is now thought that the contribution of CYP2D6 to MDMA metabolism in humans is less than 30% of the metabolism. Indeed, an individual lacking CYP2D6 was given MDMA in a controlled clinical setting and a larger study gave MDMA to healthy volunteers after inhibiting CYP2D6 with paroxetine. Lack of the enzyme caused a modest increase in drug exposure and decreases in some metabolites, but physical effects did not appear appreciably elevated. While there is little or no evidence that low CYP2D6 activity increases risks from MDMA, it is likely that MDMA-induced CYP2D inhibition will increase risk of those prescription drugs that are metabolized by this enzyme. MDMA-induced CYP2D inhibition appears to last for up to a week after MDMA exposure.

Finally found some usefull information 8o

Potential for ABILIFY to Affect Other Drugs

Aripiprazole is unlikely to cause clinically important pharmacokinetic interactions with drugs metabolized by cytochrome P450 enzymes. In in vivo studies, 10- to 30-mg/day doses of aripiprazole had no significant effect on metabolism by CYP2D6 (dextromethorphan), CYP2C9 (warfarin), CYP2C19 (omeprazole, warfarin), and CYP3A4 (dextromethorphan) substrates. Additionally, aripiprazole and dehydroaripiprazole did not show potential for altering CYP1A2-mediated metabolism in vitro.

Alcohol: There was no significant difference between aripiprazole coadministered with ethanol and placebo coadministered with ethanol on performance of gross motor skills or stimulus response in healthy subjects. As with most psychoactive medications, patients should be advised to avoid alcohol while taking ABILIFY.

http://www.druglib.com/activeingredient/aripiprazole/

=> No Safer Use! Don't do it if you fear any damage done by interactions between the drugs.

So if you still want to take drugs while on Abilify, make sure that you are on a low dose, because it seems to be the case that the plasma concentration of Abilify can reach 2-3 times bigger than usual (in case you take a drug inhibiting the P450 enzymes). Stay safe.

Does anyone know if MDMA itself is a CYP3A4 inducer or inhibitor, and if so to which extent and for how long?

I'm finding plenty of information about the effects of enzyme related interactions resulting in changes to MDMA (and metabolites) blood levels, but not much vice versa. I'm on medication with a prescription drug that's a CYP3A4 substrate but not an inducer or inhibitor, so it shouldn't change MDMA blood levels. Now I'm wondering though if MDMA would alter the effect of the prescription drug.

mdma inhibits cyp2d6 and cyp2d8 and induces cyp1a2. i haven't found any info about cyp3a4 being influenced by mdma. there's a bad habit in the scientific community to not report negative results ("we tried if mdma inhibits cyp3a4 and found nothing" doesn't impress anyone), so either people have tested for that and found no correlation or no one has tried it yet. the latter would be surprising given that cyp3a4 is such an important enzyme, but we don't know for sure (unless someone finds some paper i didn't find).