• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Drug that hits alcohol serotonin receptor

^^Zaleplon? It's not very strong and has a very very short half life, the half life is probably responsible for its low tolerance building effects, but I bet you if you took it at regular intervals a couple times a day you would build tolerance to it no problem. Lunesta is also rumored by one study to not be very tolerance forming but I have big doubts about this, anecdotal reports suggest it is addictive as well like a normal benzo, just maybe not as much.

Funny that people IV it at the end of snowball/speedball sessions... Yes, it IS addictive; ask a drug worker or simply take for a few weeks and STOP....

Thanks for all the info y'all. Most of the alternatives I've heard of and tried (2m2b and GHB). The 2m2b was really great at the beginning, but after a couple weeks, it started to build up in my system and I felt like I was on it a little 24/7 (it also made me nauseous). Right now I'm using GHB instead of alcohol and I have to say it is much better in almost every way. The only problem is I seem to have trouble sleeping after taking it. Even when I redose to sleep again, I still end up tired the next day (I only take 1-2 times per day).

I find it funny when people associate a depressant drug like alcohol with something that makes you depressed. They are two completely different feelings. If it made you more depressed, depressed people wouldn't use it. Depression stems from lack of serotonin, not excess GABA. There is clearly some serotonin action in alcohol. I can tell it's not just the GABA effects, because no other GABAergics make me feel less depressed (only alcohol and GHB). I don't think it's the NMDA receptor either because it just makes you feel dissociated (I've messed with MXE before). It has to be the serotonin action. You said it was 5-HT3. Are there any drugs for that receptor. I was looking at general serotonergics and found 8-OH-DPAT and Etapirone (which I posted about in another thread). They are 5-HT1, but I think they might still be good. What do you think about those?

I read your post and it reminded of a quote I use to hear a lot. Something about.. there will be no drug or alcohol that won't make your depression even worst. Something like that.

Whenever you reward yourself and artificially get endorphin produced, the further you are from the solution - so I've been told.

Yes, I agree with you. Those are wise words, but I don't think they apply to my situation. I have severe social anxiety that has prevented me from accomplishing the main goals of my life and I don't see it ever improving. I've had very few friends my whole life and never a girlfriend. I can't handle being around groups of people I don't know. I've been to psychiatrists and nothing has improved. They diagnosed me with autism spectrum (which explains things), but none of the drugs I was prescribed seems to work (except propranolol), but it's still not enough to get me to take the risks I know I need to feel better naturally.

A great portion of alcohols effects are mediated through dopamine and they are quite anti depressing, GHB also has dopamine effects as well.

GHB has dose dependent effects, light doses are stimulating and high doses are sedating. As the drug comes out of your system it can dip into that lower dose region where it's simulating.

Autism spectrum is highly associated with serotonin system irregularities. Have you ever been on SSRIs? They do work for many people but some don't react very well at all. Just thought I would mention it because we're talking about depression.

Unfortunately there aren't many drugs that just agonize serotonin in a good way, 5-HT1A is a good receptor to agonize for anxiety relief because it's an inhibitory kind of serotonin. You might think about low dose seroquel (25mg) it will help you sleep and could take the edge off of anxiety. It shuts down a bad kind of serotonin called 5-HT2A, it is frequently over expressed in people with depression and can contribute to anxiety. There is a possible link between 5-HT2A problems and autism spectrum as well.

Last edited:
It's side-effects are famous - Peter Buck (REM) had taken one to sleep through the flight but couldn't and was arrested and charged for 'air rage'. It's α1 selective (one of the 2 subtypes connected to sleep) but it affects sleep paralysis, hence the crazy stories connected to it. That'd why Pyrazolam was designed to be selective to α1 & α2 - the anxiety subtypes.