Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Drug literature - what is a must read?

izo

Bluelighter
Hi,

Question speaks for itself. I read the following:

Almost everything by William s Burroughs (Junkie, nova express, naked lunch) - all really entertaining with his cut up technique.
Mr. Nice - the autobiography of Howard marks, one of the biggest hash dealers of the world.
Trainspotting - a great book in its original language, albeit a bit hard to to understand for foreigners since it’s full of Scottish accent.
Sucht Profit sucht by Günther amendt, more of a nonfiction kinda book, but really good why things are how they are. He is well known in Germany for his books about sexual education from the 68th.
On the road by jack Kerouac - not directly related to drugs but worth mentioning, though nothing special.

I‘m going to read brave new world by Huxley soon and maybe some phillip k. Dick Books After rewatching a Scanner darkly.

Anything to add?

Greets

Last edited:
Hi,

Question speaks for itself. I read the following:

Almost everything by William s Burroughs (Junkie, nova express, naked lunch) - all really entertaining with his cut up technique.
Mr. Nice - the autobiography of Howard marks, one of the biggest hash dealers of the world.
Trainspotting - a great book in its original language, albeit a bit hard to to understand for foreigners since it’s full of Scottish accent.
Sucht Profit sucht by Günther amendt, more of a nonfiction kinda book, but really good why things are how they are. He is well known in Germany for his books about sexual education from the 68th.
On the road by jack Kerouac - not directly related to drugs but worth mentioning, though nothing special.

I‘m going to read brave new world by Huxley soon and maybe some phillip k. Dick Books After rewatching a Scanner darkly.

Anything to add?

Greets
Brave New World is excellent. I read it for fun like 20 years ago and it was assigned reading in a class on drugs I took in grad school 10 years after that. It's would be considered more of an indictment on legal drugs like anti-depressants and other psychotropic meds. But still excellent.

If you're into mushrooms and psychedelics, I recommend Food of the Gods by Terence McKenna. It also has several chapters that give rundowns of the histories of most all other legal and illegal drugs as well.

Addict by Stephen Smith , unbelievable personal account of addiction to amphetamines in the 60's.

1020144.jpg

A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick

Altered States by Paddy Cheyefski is also a really good book that is often overlooked. It's about a psychedelic mushroom that turns people into some kind of a sasquatch (ape monster).

I started a similar thread a few weeks ago. A few answers in there.

The drug dream store is a good one if you also have an interest in the overlap of drugs and dreaming