• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

drug induced psychosis from weed - 4 1/2 years later

crem

Greenlighter
hello,
first of all this is my first time ever that I write in a forum like this. I'm a 30 yo male from germany (please do excuse my bad english) and I am seeking advice. so I would really appreciate it if you take your time and read this post.

I started smoking weed at age 23 (on a regular basis). 3 years later (age 26) I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. the doctor told me it came from smoking weed. this may be true but there were also alot of other things that mattered in my opinion. and some of them the doc didn't know. let me try to sum them up for you:

- me and my dad lived together in an appartment
- my dad got arrested for drug traffic in another country
- I was always worried that they would come for me too or that the police would raid the appartment at any time
- whenever I smoked weed I was afraid that my neighbours could smell it and would call the police
- I mostly smoked alone
- when I went out into the streets after smoking weed I was always scared that people might find out that I was high
-> I was really in a bad mental state and felt weak and unstable as you can tell by now
- sometimes I had to get weed off some shady dealer who probably cut it with something else
- I was often in the netherlands and smoked many different (and strong) strains
- I also smoked some hash in the last week(got it from that shady dealer) since weed was not available
- and I also have to say that I didn't smoke much weed: in the last year it was 1 joint/day (and before that even less)

when I started hearing voices and felt like I was being watched it never came to me that I was sick. I really thought the voices were real - from neighbours etc. so I didn't stop smoking weed. the last week was the worst.
I haven't slept in days and the voices were more frequently and louder. at the end I didn't know what to do. I went into the hallway and smashed the window. the broken glass got the attention of my neighbour and she called the police and ambulance. they immediately told me that I was sick and that I'm in need of medical attention. so I went to the clinic..
once there i got all kinds of meds to calm me down and get rid of the symptoms. two weeks later I left the clinic.

until now - 4 1/2 years later - I always took my meds and I didn't smoke weed once even though it was really REALLY tough for me.. (especially in the last 2 years since my new girlfriend smokes weed). but I was symptom-free.

I really do want to smoke weed again (only on weekends) but I don't know what to do. my doc told me that smoking weed would ensure that the psychosis would come back again - and not only that - it would be worse than before and even decrease my intelligence.
but my situation completely changed:
- I've got a girlfriend
- I wouldn't smoke alone
- I finished school
- I started boxing
- I do feel mentally (and physically) strong and good (!)
- I have no negative feelings that overweigh
- I don't give a sh*t what anybody thinks about me or if anybody would know that I would be smoking weed
- [...]

what would you guys do? did anybody experience anything similar? and if I decide to smoke again (only on weekends) - would there be some sort of problems because of my meds?

after I left the clinic I took 3 kinds of meds:
Abilify - the neuroleptic drug against the psychosis
Akineton - something against parkinson disease (I took it because of some side effects of abilify)
Trimipramin - antidepressant

today I'm currently only on Abilify (15mg/day).

I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks :)

crem

I had a pal diagnosed w cannabis induced psychosis. he said he hit a 5perk bong or some shit n then the voices in his head would refer to him as a god. he was given Ativan and seroquel and said the voices got worse w ativan. I believe he has tapered off of seroquel but has never been the same since :(. he's a lot slower, and weirder. his OG personality is gone :(.

IMO, only you would know (if u stayed true to yourself) whether or not you should smoke again. yes things have changed but mentally how has your tolerance to weed changed? it's probably gone so in jumping back into it you can risk a freakout.

if you are still gonna smoke, just start small and see how you are affected. any time you believe you're descending back into psychosis u should alert your doctor and quit again.

I would stay away from it personally but if you're hell bent then just be conscious of the fact that this is YOUR risk and your mental health and do not abuse it.

be safe.

That's a pretty rough ride.

I would quit weed completely. At least until your mental health is stabalized and you're feeling confident enough to smoke it again. Weed doesn't help at all, and I've had first hand experience of this.

I was diagnosed with anxiety at 18 (12 years ago), and at 21 I was smoking weed pretty heavy. It got to a point where my anxiety turned me into a different person. I feared everything man, I thought people were trying to kill me. I wouldn't leave the house. I wouldn't talk to anyone. When I smoked weed it got so much worse. Sometimes I was scared so stiff that I couldn't move and I was 1000% sure people were planning to kill me for no reason at all. I used to have thoughts of killing people incase they attacked me. Totally wacked out thinking. I never acted on anything I thought, but I'd play out movies in my head of how I would kill that person and cover it up. Gore images too. People who were close to me.

The thoughts got so bad that I couldn't take it. I didn't have any intention of acting out my thoughts, and I had no way of escaping the thoughts, so I climbed ontop of a building ontop of a car park and stood at the edge trying to get the bottle together to jump off. Police blocked the road off and everything. Long story short I was sectioned, and I couldn't smoke weed. I was there for about 5 weeks I think. It was a long time ago, but some parts of it are so vivid.

Once I stopped smoking things really improved a lot. And I stopped smoking weed for a good 6 years. I still had anxiety but it was normal, I could handle it. Just ordinary anxiety that regular folk get. I think my brain is wired a bit wrong, that makes me more prone to anxiety and depression.

I did not blame weed for the way I was, it was a mental illness made worse by weed. The root cause of the problem was the shit going on in my life at that point and weed allowed me to focus on these negative throughts in depth. And if your mental issues are made worse when smoking, it's fair to say at this point in time the weed is a cause. But only because of an already existing mental health condition. If you smoked it in a better mind state it wouldn't have the same effect. And I think this is what medical professionals mean when they say that cannabis is the cause of said problem.

I started smoking again when I got Cancer. And since then I've continued to smoke. Part of me things the cannabis may help the Cancer not come back. I'm not having issues with cannabis right now, except when I take a T break or decide to quit for a bit I will get some nasty symptoms (I've made a post about this).

Cannabis can have a negative effect of our bodies for sometimes reasons that are unknown to science. But it can, and it will, get better. I hope I didn't bore you to death I just wanted you to know I've been in a similar place :)

Was your friend never the same again? or did he start smoking again making him go back into psychosis? I have a friend currently in the hospital for drug psychosis? wondering if she will ever be the same again