Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug crime penalties are 'huge' for students

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Drug crime penalties are 'huge' for students
Sean Kirkby
September 14, 2014

For many, experimenting with drugs is part of college. But the penalties of getting caught may be more severe than at any other time in their lives.

According to the U.S. Department of Education, students convicted of a drug-related felony or misdemeanor can lose their financial aid for a period of time, depending on the charge and previous offenses. Possession of illegal drugs can lead to a year or more of ineligibility, depending on the number of offenses.

Convictions for drug distribution carry steeper penalties. The first conviction results in two years of ineligibility, and subsequent offenses can bring indefinite ineligibility unless a student completes a drug rehabilitation program, passes two drug tests or has a conviction voided.

"It's a huge penalty," acknowledges Mary Beth Mackin, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater dean of students.

Mackin says UW-Whitewater's policy is to suspend students caught selling drugs on campus. According to UW System's administrative code, any suspension applies to all UW System schools and can last up to two years. Students cannot be present on any UW campus without written consent.

Students may also reach a settlement with the administration to shorten the suspension by participating in drug counseling, Mackin says. Otherwise, they can request a disciplinary hearing.

Even if a student avoids a criminal conviction, he or she may still be suspended because selling drugs is a violation of the university's code of conduct, she says.

Mackin says she works with students and their families to ensure those who are suspended can continue their studies by completing transferrable credits at a community college or private institution.

continued here http://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/local/2014/09/14/drug-crime-penalties-huge-students/15644427/
.................................................................................................................................................

Once again we have a clear example of how current drug policies end up doing far more harm then positive outcomes they claim to promote. Could it be because they were never intended to promote good and are instead weapons of control and oppression. You bet your ass this is the case.

Last edited:
Once again we have a clear example of how current drug policies end up doing far more harm then positive outcomes they claim to promote. Could it be because they were never intended to promote good and are instead weapons of control and oppression. You bet your ass this is the case.

This.

While my under/grad ID helped me get out of trouble with LE so many times in school, never thought it was the norm. Then again, I also saw some kids when I was in college who were lucky enough to have families paying their entire way, and the school was pretty fucking "forgiving" with them. I think my schools were pretty cool and reasonable about all this though, perhaps not the norm.

I've heard so many horror stories from other universities about how the smallest things have gotten kids fuck out of everything from their tuition to their education to their future employment.

My university was pretty lenient. Somebody told the administration that I was selling drugs out of residence, and they told me to stop. I was subsequently caught twice for smoking in my room, resulting first in a $250 fine and then in me leaving residence (they wanted to fine me $500, but I told them I would rather just leave and have them refund my rent, and they accepted this). After all that, I was caught selling drugs in residence AGAIN and so I had to go see the head of all residences. He banned me indefinitely from all residence buildings at the university, but allowed me to stay enrolled in school.

Later I got caught by the police, and that was more serious. Now I have a criminal record that I will be stuck with for 14 years at least. I was 18 years old at the time, and I'll be close to double that by the time I can apply for a pardon.