• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug Co. CEO: Top Morning-After Pill May Not Work Over 165 Pounds, Regardless of BMI

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Since Mother Jones broke the news on Monday that a European drugmaker, HRA Pharma, found that its popular morning-after pill may not work in heavier women, many readers have asked why the company chose to update its product labels with a hard weight limit—instead of a limit on BMI, an obesity measurement that relies on a height-to-weight ratio.

HRA Pharma was prompted to rethink its labels after University of Edinburgh Professor Anna Glasier linked emergency contraceptive failures and an obese body mass index (or BMI) in a 2011 analysis. The new label for the drug, Norlevo—a brand of emergency contraceptive pills which uses levonorgestrel to prevent pregnancy, and is identical to several US drugs, including Plan B—says it is not recommended for women who weigh 165 pounds or more, no matter their height.

Glasier, analyzing data from one study sponsored by the US National Institutes of Health and another sponsored by HRA Pharma, found that the risk of pregnancy in women using levonorgestrel pills increased significantly if a woman had a body mass index of 30 or higher—which the US Centers for Disease Control considers obese.

On Tuesday, HRA Pharma CEO Erin Gainer explained the company's decision further to Mother Jones. When HRA statisticians reviewed the data Glasier used for her analysis, Gainer says, they confirmed Glasier's findings about BMI—but they also found that their products' failure correlated even more strongly with weight, regardless of a woman's height.

"We were surprised," Gainer says. "But the findings were really quite striking from a statistical point of view." She adds that weight is easier for health care providers to discuss with their patients. "People don't walk down the street knowing what their body mass index is," she says.

cont at
http://www.motherjones.com/environm...pill-not-work-obese?google_editors_picks=true

Makes me wonder why any drugs are even regulated.
Falsly labeled ineffective inactive. Does the fda really reaserch anything or do they just take money out of our pockets threw big pharm companies.

I don't understand how we as citizens allow them to make us jump threw law and regulation when they show us how little all this is actually to help any one.

In other news we are seeing some widespread panic from all the men who were swooped up, by some good lovin big girl, and decided to slide it in bareback.

In other news we are seeing some widespread panic from all the men who were swooped up, by some good lovin big girl, and decided to slide it in bareback.

No, if you do it in that hole it usually won't result in pregnancy.

Even without a condom, anal sex will rarely result in pregnancy, due to the fact that no semen is released into the vagina.

Unless the girl is Portuguese, and telepathic.

Bareback to me means any sex without a condom to me at least and I was referring to vaginal sex.. really numbers I pretty familiar with anatomy and this includes the knowledge that having sex with woman's anus and rectum will rarely lead to it ending up in the vagina where it can have a possibility of swimming past the cervix the and fertilizing the egg. I think we may have a different meaning to the word bareback numbers and this is causing the confusion here?

femalereproductive.gif

The Portuguese have bartholin glands in their anuses, so there is a continuous lake of lubrication from rectum to vagina, so anal pregnancies are possible when the sperm are especially agile and robust. Also, with telepaths, insemination occurs with little more than thought.

Morning-After Pill May Not Work Over 165 Pounds

ITT

"no fat chicks"