European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Driving when on depressants

Artificial Emotion

Bluelighter
I am prescribed tapentadol (an opioid), methadone, diazepam, pregabalin and some other medications (namely propranolol and carbemazepine and aripirazole). I know it might be hard to believe but these medications don't seem to make me drowsy due to my tolerance level to these drugs and I think I would be fine driving. I want to learn how to drive but my GP says anyone on methadone or tapentadol is automatically excluded from being able to learn to drive. I know this is not necssarily true from my research but what I wanted to know is will the decision about whether I can drive be down to the GP or would it be down to a separate doctor working for the DVLA?

I am prescribed tapentadol (an opioid), methadone, diazepam, pregabalin and some other medications (namely propranolol and carbemazepine and aripirazole). I know it might be hard to believe but these medications don't seem to make me drowsy due to my tolerance level to these drugs and I think I would be fine driving. I want to learn how to drive but my GP says anyone on methadone or tapentadol is automatically excluded from being able to learn to drive. I know this is not necssarily true from my research but what I wanted to know is will the decision about whether I can drive be down to the GP or would it be down to a separate doctor working for the DVLA?

*Disclaimer*

You should never drive under the influence of anything, especially under advice from your GP.

But... Nobody says you have to tell the DVLA you are on medication.

Hmm I've got no idea, but last year I went out on my bike whilst on etizolam, thinking I was fine (it doesn't make me drowsey), and flipped over the handlebars smashing my (bike) gears to bits. Luckily I escaped unharmed. But yeah, not at all to patronise, but just remember that you may not be so corpus mentis as you think (which is probably what the DVLA would be thinking).

Thanks for replying you two. The dose of each medication was raised slowly as to avoid any intoxicating effects but in any case my family and friends say I'm alert and compos mentis. I used to feel a bit drowsy at the start but now I feel just the same as I did before I started taking any of these meds.

If I apply for a provisional license and get rejected will they keep the fee?

Hmmm, I'm unsure. I'd imagine they probably would keep the money, after all the administrative fees will still be there; but a provisional isn't too expensive. I'm in a similar position because I had seizures last year whilst withdrawing from etizolam, and lack of driving lessons is holding me back on the job front.

But... Nobody says you have to tell the DVLA you are on medication.

The issue that might arise there would be if you had an accident, especially a serious one, and your medical records were checked. Especially if it was found that you might have displayed signs of drowsiness.

I think it's important to maybe check with the DVLA, anonymously perhaps. Doctors aren't always correct about these things, or only know half the story. I'd imagine a lot of people are driving on varying forms of medication.

Edit:
https://www.gov.uk/drug-driving-law

Talk to your doctor about whether you should drive if you’ve been prescribed any of the following drugs:

amphetamine, eg dexamphetamine or selegiline
clonazepam
diazepam
flunitrazepam
lorazepam
methadone
morphine or opiate and opioid-based drugs, eg codeine, tramadol or fentanyl
oxazepam
temazepam

You can drive after taking these drugs if:

• you’ve been prescribed them and followed advice on how to take them by a healthcare professional
  • they aren’t causing you to be unfit to drive even if you’re above the specified limits

Sounds like there might be some leeway that might be worth discussing with your doctor. Print that out and show him.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I saw on the government website too. Good idea about the printout - she can't deny what's in front of her plus I could always get a second opinion since she works closely with another doctor meaning I effectively have two GPs rather than one since each of them works part time on alternate days.

Yeah that's what I saw on the government website too. Good idea about the printout - she can't deny what's in front of her plus I could always get a second opinion since she works closely with another doctor meaning I effectively have two GPs rather than one since each of them works part time on alternate days.

If you were to be unsuccseful in yur application for a license you DO get your money back.

I had my application refused after being banned a few years ago and I got the £90 back.

Thanks mate, I'm definitely going to apply for my provisional then. I've got nothing to lose!

Just be aware that even if you feel in full control, your reactions will still be dulled. I thought I was ok to drive on a ridiculous combination of depressant drugs - until I gouched out and buckled my wheel on the kerb. I was very lucky, and I'd been driving for 20+ years. Perhaps starting to drive on that particular cocktail of medication is not the best idea?

Hello F.U.B.A.R
I am new to the sight.
Trying to lean the opes so to speak.

Just be aware that even if you feel in full control, your reactions will still be dulled. I thought I was ok to drive on a ridiculous combination of depressant drugs - until I gouched out and buckled my wheel on the kerb. I was very lucky, and I'd been driving for 20+ years. Perhaps starting to drive on that particular cocktail of medication is not the best idea?

You're right but I need the freedom that being able to drive gives. I'm in two minds as to whether to go for it or not. Obviously I don't want to put other peoples' lives at risk but I really think I'm okay to drive, definitely compared to say and elderly person. There must be some test I can take to determine whether I'm fit to drive other than the test you take to get your license so perhaps it's worth pursuing that to make sure I'd be safe on the roads.

I honestly cant see how you would not be impaired and personally i think the risk to others far outweighs your right to drive.

I don't see it as a right, I see it as a privilege and I honestly don't know whether I'm too impaired. I don't think I am but I am open to the possibility.

Well I'm going to leave that decision down to my other GP so it's not the end of the story for me. If she is absolutely against it then okay but otherwise I'm going to apply.

Mate i am a registered nurse and have seen to many grisly wounds and people die or completely disabled due to intoxicated drivers. If you had seen the things i have you would not even connsider driving. Plus i know a fair bit about your medication and there is no fucking way you should be on the road. If you dont think you are impaired on that combination you really are off your head.

But you know best...