• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Drinking + Opiates

DrugsAreFun1850

Greenlighter
I have been doing hydros and oxycodone for the past month but I have been reading that drinking on top of that is bad for your liver. So my questions is how much do you have to do for it to really be bad. I am a heavy drinker so I need a lot and i have already built up a high tolerance for opiates in a short period. I know that it is bad but people often exaggerate the effects of drugs. Other users often post that they drink a few beers then pop pills. I know over time all drugs+substances effect your health but what is the red line that I should not cross?

Alcochol + opates

I have been doing hydros and oxycodone for the past month but I have been reading that drinking on top of that is bad for your liver. So my questions is how much do you have to do for it to really be bad. I am a heavy drinker so I need a lot and i have already built up a high tolerance for opiates in a short period. I know that it is bad but people often exaggerate the effects of drugs. Other users often post that they drink a few beers then pop pills. I know over time all drugs+substances effect your health but what is the red line that I should not cross?​

The line is so variable when drinking thats why its not recommended to drink+opiates. If u start with low dosages (half of normal doses, if ur iving I'd be even safer so even lower dosages) you should be able to feel out the effects.
To be honest, the motto that always made sense to me is "if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be doing it."

hydro and oxy w/ acetaminophen? (ie brand name or generic percocet, roxicet, vicodin, lortab, norco, etc). if so then YES, it can be VERY bad indeed for your liver.
but it is the acetaminophen, not the hydro/oxy, that causes liver damage or failure when used in excessive quantities or regularity, or w/ alcohol. to my knowledge most opiates themselves do not typically cause liver problems, either on their own or in combination w/ alcohol, unless there is a preexisting liver condition.

Do you pills contain APAP - that is the stuff that plays havoc with your liver when combined with alcohol (it does without the alcohol if taken in large doses and normally only added to the pills to stop abuse).

IF your going to be mixing the two then at least do a CWE on the pills to get rid of the APAP.

A few beers isn't going to have that much of an impact on a scheduled pain management plan - but half a bottle of spirits when abusing the hell out of pills will have a negative effect on your liver.

Pretty much hard to say where 'that line' lies though.

(Moved from Pillreports)

Half a bottle of spirits when abusing the hell out of them will also have a negative affect on your respiratory drive.

Half a bottle of spirits when abusing the hell out of them will also have a negative affect on your respiratory drive.

That is a very good point and thanks for adding it - mixing alcohol with opiates both suppress your Central Nervous System that can lead you to suffocate, stop your heart if taken in excess etc.

I would like to add that it is incredibly easy to up and stop breathing from mixing CNS depressants. Incredibly. Happened to my father a couple times. He'd just take a handful and say "Tell me if I stop breathing."

You cannot excede 4000mg of APAP (tylenol). CWE as bearlove said probably is your best bet, but it depends on what you drink and dosage of your opiate.

Assume that your tolerance isn't okay with a half bottle of spirits.

But at the end of the day it is all tolerance, except tylenol. That shit will kill you. I've popped a 30 and downed a mikes hard lemonade, but never any smirnoff. I really didn't feel much other than the oxycodone, was too scared to drink more.

I hear rather frequently that alcohol makes opioid highs a bit unenjoyable.

I actually advanced the scarring of my liver from hep c by drinking heavy and eating lots of pills with APAP in them.

If you are worried about your liver I would go to your doctor and have him prescribe you a liver panel test. They can check your enzyme levels and let you know if you have done any damage.

I know that it is bad but people often exaggerate the effects of drugs. Other users often post that they drink a few beers then pop pills. I know over time all drugs+substances effect your health but what is the red line that I should not cross?

This is what I do but I rarely drink and my tolerance is low. In your case this is definitely not an exaggeration. If you drink a lot your liver is already at a disadvantage. In your circumstances APAP by itself can cause liver damage, adding alcohol is going to be bad news.

It's not the APAP itself that causes the liver damage. It gets metabolized to something else which does the damage. For most people this isn't a problem because your body produces substances that get rid of it. Alcohol "cuts in line" and uses up the substance first so the bad metabolite will just sit there instead, causing liver damage. If you have a healthy liver then it can take a little of that abuse but if your liver is already in bad shape from chronic alcohol use that's a very different story.

opiates and booze both suppress the CNS, which in huge amounts will cause respiratory issues
the scary part is...no one can tell you the exact amount where it becomes dangerous for you
to many factors come into play on how much you can handle.....we all respond diff

every time you ingest something whether its tylenol for a headache or some opiates, your liver has to work harder
with that being said, taking opiates then adding in alcohol you're liver is working around the clock to rid everything

damage isnt gonna be done over night but in the long run...which a lot of people dont worry about until its to late... will eventually catch up to you

and i for one dont over exaggerate on things...as memory recalls i lost a good friend to a combo..that ive done hundreds of times without hiccup.. but for him to lose his life

IMO think its pure ignorance is what gets us in trouble