View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

DRINKING GAMES: ‘The doctors thought I was brain dead’

poledriver

Bluelighter
Hanna Lottritz’ account of binge that almost killed her goes viral

5d7bf08f200553852d422eb4130a4aa0

WHEN Hanna Lottritz sat down to write about the night that changed her life, it was cathartic. She never imagined her story would help so many other people, too.

The response has been enormous.

In a blog post that’s since gone viral, the university student from Nevada started by declaring she was happy. It was her 21st birthday, she wrote, but she’d be tempering her celebrations.
“I will not be taking birthday shots and getting wasted tonight,” she wrote.

There’s a very good reason for that, she explained. Six months earlier after drinking excessively, Lottritz wound up in a coma. She was as close to death as is physically possible.
“The doctors thought I was brain dead because I was completely unresponsive,” she wrote.

The night was July 26, 2015, and Lottritz and her friends were out for the ‘Night in the Country’ music festival.
“I thought I was going to have a fun day with friends,” she wrote.

“I woke up, had breakfast and started what would end up being the worst 48 hours of my life.
“The first part of the day was a lot of fun. We met new people and had a really good time. After dinner we went to the concert.

86a2875ab736d41b2045abdecdacc9d0

“At the concert I had two beers. Many of the people I was with had been drinking throughout the day and were already feeling good. I hadn’t started drinking until a little after dinner and I felt a little behind. My problems started after the concert.”
She said playing “catch up” almost killed her.

“I am a competitive person by nature and this group was mostly guys who (for some reason) I promised I could outdrink. Around 11:30pm, one of my guy friends and I were seeing who could take the longest chug from a bottle of Black Velvet Whiskey.

“Immediately after this I told my friends I felt fine, and about five minutes later I collapsed. I wasn’t breathing. My friends picked me up and started carrying me to the medical tent.”
The 20-year-old was transferred to a hospital in Reno via a careflight helicopter. When she got there, doctors feared the worst.

“I was in critical condition, suffering from acute respiratory failure and acute alcohol intoxication. My blood alcohol concentration was .41 when I arrived at the hospital, five times over the legal limit. The doctors thought I was brain dead because I was completely unresponsive.

“My pupils were sluggishly reactive, I had no corneal reflex and I wasn’t responding to verbal or painful stimuli. I finally woke up about 24 hours after I arrived at the hospital. I had a tube down my throat and my hands were restrained so I couldn’t pull it out.”

On her blog, Lottritz shared a photograph of her in her hospital bed. She said the first thing she remembers is her mother’s hand in hers.

“I felt like I was dreaming. Everything seemed foggy. I drifted in and out of consciousness for the next few hours. I was coming out of a 24-hour coma.”

Now recovered and preparing to celebrate her milestone birthday, Lottritz says she’s learned a lesson she’ll never forget. That lesson has resonated with the more than 400,000 people who’ve read her story so far.

91eb32d4ebe05bb1712b4d76d307b9ff

“I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard the phrase, ‘Let them sleep it off, they’ll be fine in the morning,’ but I’m alive today because my friends got me help. Don’t take a chance if you see a friend passed out from drinking too much. Get them help as soon as possible.”

For her birthday, she decided to have a glass a wine with her family. She said she’d been overwhelmed by the positive response to her blog entry but a handful of people criticised her for that one glass. She insists it’s not about the glass at all. It’s not even about alcohol.

“I’ve gotten mixed responses,” she told news.com.au

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...l/news-story/4936bed049f2a9e58a6a236d6921f5d2

Alcohol is one of the scariest and most dangerous drugs out there.
Amazing that it is legal, while cannabis and MDMA and mushrooms are not.

That's a pretty stupid way to drink. If you chugged that much water you would have problems.

Alcohol is one of the scariest and most dangerous drugs out there.
Amazing that it is legal, while cannabis and MDMA and mushrooms are not.

Not really that amazing or surprising when you consider human history. Culture and habit can be a bitch.

“I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard the phrase, ‘Let them sleep it off, they’ll be fine in the morning,’ but I’m alive today because my friends got me help. Don’t take a chance if you see a friend passed out from drinking too much. Get them help as soon as possible.”
-----
Passing out after a few drinks is not even in the same as having 0.41 BAC. She drank a lethal amount of alcohol.

I was a university professor at what was at the time ranked the number one party school in America by the Princeton Review. The typical 21st birthday celebration consists of taking 21 shots, more alcohol than in a fifth. Given that it took me about 12 hours to pack away a fifth at the height of my drinking, for a college student relatively inexperienced in drinking, to do this in a single evening is breathtakingly dangerous. Just to give an example of my own tolerance, on one of my ER visits, my BAC was .55. What is even more shocking (this was more common with female students), is that mom would come to campus and party with their daughter. Walking along the main street next to campus on just about any night of the week required being vigilant about where you walked, lest you step in a puddle of vomit.

I started binge drinking in college. As much as university administrators try to change the drinking culture on college campuses, there is usually strong blowback from the town's bar operators and liquor store owners. And the two sides are often at loggerheads and nothing changes.

The only example I can think of where a university actually did something was when at a different American university which is now the number one party school, a young lady tried to run onto the football field before a game. When she was breathalyzed, her BAC was .341. The police neglected to take her cellphone when they threw her into the drunk tank and she started tweeting about her misadventure. She was a senior and the university gave her an ultimatum: get treatment or face expulsion.

This kind of culture of binge drinking among college youth is actually quite a big problem. Not only because, according to some, binge drinking is more harmful than chronic drinking due to frequent mini-withdrawals that result in more brain damage than if you just drink constantly. But in addition to that it's a combination of reckless young adults, alcohol (disinhibition) and herd mentality, which all results in pretty reckless actions. Like you said, even for tolerant drinkers the amounts they, inexperienced people, sometimes consume is a bit too much. However society often turns a blind eye, saying that it's just a part of the culture, a part of growing up. It's wrong though. Which brings me to the point that I would like it a lot more if our society's intoxicant, that is currently alcohol, was something else; cannabis for example. I think the world would be a much better place.

I was never a part of that culture, though, luckily. I knew right away that living with other students wouldn't be a good idea for me - I never liked young people to start with, and I just don't like being around people too much. So I did my best to get my own place when I went to university, and I think that was a very wise decision.

I was never a part of that culture, though, luckily. I knew right away that living with other students wouldn't be a good idea for me - I never liked young people to start with, and I just don't like being around people too much. So I did my best to get my own place when I went to university, and I think that was a very wise decision.

Maybe for you. Living alone in college is where I learned the art of the solitary alcoholic.