Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drinking A Glass Of Wine On Flight Lands Dentist, Daughter In Jail

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Drinking A Glass Of Wine On Flight Lands Dentist, Daughter In Jail
Pritha Paul
08/10/2018

A British woman and her four-year-old daughter were locked up in a jail in Dubai for three days, after it was found the former had consumed a glass of complimentary red wine on an Emirates flight from the United Kingdom.

Dr. Ellie Holman, 44, who is a mother of three and a dentist, from Sevenoaks, Kent, said as soon as she and her daughter, Bibi, got off the flight on July 13 at Dubai International Airport, the pair were taken aside and questioned by immigration officials.
One of the main questions Holman was asked was whether she had consumed alcohol during her eight-hour-long flight. She answered in the affirmative, as it was supposed to be common knowledge that alcohol was served with the meal as standard practice on Emirates Airlines flights from the U.K. to Dubai.

continued https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...t-daughter-in-jail/ar-BBLK3lv?ocid=spartandhp

Emirates started flying from Orlando to Dubai a couple of years ago. Not that I can even imagine flying anywhere they serve from their Dubai hub, it's good to know I should pass on the in-flight booze if I did.

Emirates started flying from Orlando to Dubai a couple of years ago. Not that I can even imagine flying anywhere they serve from their Dubai hub, it's good to know I should pass on the in-flight booze if I did.

She didn't get done for drinking on board. The fact is she didn't want to fly back home when she was told her visa had expired. Instead she became argumentative and took out her phone and started recording airport staff which then created a scene. In other words she got locked up for failure to cooperate. Similar story to when you don't comply when a police officer tells you to do something or asks something of you.

Unfortunately when you are in someone elses country you need to respect their laws / mannerisms etc.

What in the ever living fuck??!!

Is it illegal to drink in Dubai??

I didn't think alcohol was illegal anywhere.

How could you not want to cause a scene when you are being fucked with cause you drank a glass of wine on a plane??!!

How could you not want to cause a scene when you are being fucked with cause you drank a glass of wine on a plane??!!

She was getting a fuck around because she didn't have a valid visa to enter the country. Then as she became argumentative she was questioned if she had been drinking.

Alcohol is illegal in certain parts of the US governed by native American laws.

She didn't get done for drinking on board. The fact is she didn't want to fly back home when she was told her visa had expired. Instead she became argumentative and took out her phone and started recording airport staff which then created a scene. In other words she got locked up for failure to cooperate. Similar story to when you don't comply when a police officer tells you to do something or asks something of you.

Unfortunately when you are in someone elses country you need to respect their laws / mannerisms etc.

Fuck that shit. Their laws are wrong. I don't acknowledge the legitimacy of this "we must respect other cultures and legal systems no matter what" argument. I never have.

Fuck that shit. Their laws are wrong. I don't acknowledge the legitimacy of this "we must respect other cultures and legal systems no matter what" argument. I never have.

I assume you don't expect foreigners to acknowledge the "cultures and legal systems" of your country of residence either, yes?

I assume you don't expect foreigners to acknowledge the "cultures and legal systems" of your country of residence either, yes?

I don't expect or not expect anything really. Since this hypothetical involves a hypothetical foreigner from a non-specific country and culture, I can't know what to expect. But assuming you're asking about what I think we should and shouldn't tolerate, no, I wouldn't tolerate their breaking our laws.

So, the obvious question here is, is this position hypocritical? And I put forth that it is not. To be clear about the situation, what I am saying is that when it comes to providing assistance to our citizens who've broken laws in other countries that would not have been a crime in our country, I believe we should provide every assistance to get them out of trouble and bring them home. I don't think we should just "respect their culture" and do nothing. I don't think said culture is just, and I think we should try and protect our own people and bring them back. Keeping in mind that I'm speaking hypothetically. In this actual real life example, I'm not british, so I have no right to argue how british society should behave. It's a matter for the british to internally discuss.

But as far as American society goes, I think we should do everything we can diplomatically to protect Americans who've broken the law in other countries, and especially when said laws conflict with our values, and wouldn't be a criminal act if it happened in the US. I don't believe we should just blindly "respect their culture". While at the same time, if they came to the US, if they break our laws we would obviously have to respond. I can see why some would think this hypocritical. Feeling that I'm arguing that we should interfere in other countries, while also rejecting such interference in our own. But I don't think it's hypocritical, because I'm not saying that I believe it would be wrong of the foreign country to use diplomatic means to try and protect their citizens from our laws that might not be against the law for them. I would expect them to do the same. So I'm not saying one should respect us while the other doesn't respect them. I'm saying I expect both sides to believe in their own systems, and try and achieve justice for their citizens. We disagree on what constitutes justice, and so we both have to do what we have to do. I don't think that's hypocritical.

Personally, I'd prefer people just be more careful about which countries they go to, and not get into such situations to start with. That'd help everyone a lot.

I can understand why some might find this hypocritical, but I don't feel that it is. We all gotta protect our own, I expect no less from them (them as in some hypothetical foreign government). And I don't think we should all just blindly respect each others laws no matter what.

I don't expect or not expect anything really. Since this hypothetical involves a hypothetical foreigner from a non-specific country and culture, I can't know what to expect. But assuming you're asking about what I think we should and shouldn't tolerate, no, I wouldn't tolerate their breaking our laws.

So, the obvious question here is, is this position hypocritical? And I put forth that it is not. To be clear about the situation, what I am saying is that when it comes to providing assistance to our citizens who've broken laws in other countries that would not have been a crime in our country, I believe we should provide every assistance to get them out of trouble and bring them home.

I see.

I don't think we should just "respect their culture" and do nothing.

Ah - the feeling is mutual.

I don't think said culture is just, and I think we should try and protect our own people and bring them back.

I couldn't agree more. It infuriates me that they happen to hold a seat on the UN Human Rights Council. Well, technically it's Saudi Arabia, but both nations are Wahhabist strongholds, which, tend to view other Muslims as apostates, and, who appear to treat their camels better than their women. Plus they execute people for something as benign as simple drug possession. And I abso-fucking-lutely will not relent in condemning their shitty-ass, insanely-draconian cultural norms.