• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Dreadlocks

^ Do it! I think that you'd probably have thick enough hair to do the backcombing technique. The advantage there is that you can still keep them fairly clean, although they still require a fair bit of maintenance.

Fun fact: I wanted dreads all through high school and uni, and that was a part of the reason as to why I originally grew my hair out. Then I got a 'professional' job, and started losing my hair. I'd just look silly now with them, what with the widow's peak and all. So I must live vicariously through those who can still pull them off.

From an aesthetic point of view, they look good when they're done right, on mostwomen...and some men.

4 years ago I was going to get dreads, grew my hair all the way to my shoulders, before deciding it was too much hassle and cut all my hair off.

Now, all this time later I have 4 dreads - I stopped washing my hair with shampoo apart from if it got really dirty, continue washing it everyday with water or just wash it in the rain, and it started to dread naturally - NATTY DREAAADLOCK.

As I write this I am actually working on one of my dreads - it's part of meditation.

That's what they're for, and why I have only 4 - I am letting my hair do it's natural TING and then working with them to make them more refined when I am studying, drawing, thinking, or just sitting & meditating.

My view has changed that if you get dreadlocks just for aesthetic reasons - like if you wanna gt into a more alt scene or look "hip", then maybe (just maybe)you should first A) ask yourself why you REALLY want them,

and B)do more research on where they came from. I'm not being judgemental(fuck it I wanted them for purely those reasons way back then), I'm simply pointing out that maybe you should find out why they started being worn in the first place.

That's going recently Rastafari though - people have worn dreads for thousands of years, all over the world in all different cultures, raning from ancient China to the Celts in Britain, to the Sadhus in India, and it's always a different story why people wear their dreads, but the one I have outlined is a pretty prevalent one, throughout history.

dreads aren't cool unless you're part of the pot culture. if you're not people will assume you are.

dreads aren't cool unless you're part of the pot culture. if you're not people will assume you are.

I still laugh when I think back to the amount of randoms who would come upto me asking for weed because of my dreadlocks

Yeah... so... I buzzed off my dreadlocks.

I can't say I miss them. I love the way dreadlocks look, personally, but the convenience factor makes super short hair win by a long shot for me (I am a pragmatic sort of guy). Also, I just think short hairs suits me better.

you can get a dreadlock weave-like how black people get long hair(mainly women) you can get dreadies that are a weave. then if you don't like them you can have them taken out.

I still laugh when I think back to the amount of randoms who would come upto me asking for weed because of my dreadlocks

Hahah it's true though - that is the stereotype if you have dreads - conventional people will assume most of the time you're a pothead :p it's funny. But a shame.

I now have 10 jata! I found 2 dreads today I didn't know about - I thought I had 8 lol.

They're coming along nicely, and I have found through a bit of research, and some patience that the gaps between the scalp and the start of the dread's twist/knotting lessens with time -starting at around 2/3 inches making way to about an inch over the space of the past 3 months, and supposedly ending up at around half an inch if left to do it's natural thing.

I have left them alone for the past month, mostly - I think I've probably rubbed them on 3 occasions, today being one.

Such a journey!

I highly recommend using baking soda and (apple cider) vinegar to wash and rinse it with, and once a week/fortnight massage about 1/2 - 1 tsp oil with a few drops of your preferred essential oils to take care of your scalp.

Dread Thread

Anyone on here have Dreadlocks?
I know there are threads dedicated to hairstyles and body modifications but it would be interesting to see a Dread Thread :)

Feel free to post photos of yours, or some cool ones you appreciate! :D
I kinda let my hair do its own thing in August, and its coming along now... :

NSFW:
1NAiBlp.jpg