• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Drank a bit of mouthwash for the hell of it, first time ever ingesting alcohol

jeffrey752

Greenlighter
I don't drink at all, never have until yesterday. I've eaten a lot of GMOs and chemically altered food before in my life, so what the hell? Denatured alcohol can't be any worse.

Anyways I drank like 3 mouthfuls of it, maybe more, and I felt extremely good. My muscles were really uncoordinated, meaning when I walked I could walk, but I was a little loose and my body felt like it could carry me anywhere, and my vision was a bit delayed, like I could see clearly, but if I were to move my eyes they'd have to focus again, sort of like a camera. Also I felt a little confident and I didn't care as much, but I'm not sure if that was just my mind doing it on purpose (like taking a pill with nothing in it, and then acting out the effects because you are under the impression you're high on that pill, but you're not), you know, or was I actually drunk or something?

Seriously, I've never had my mind altered before and I want to know what happened. I came to Bluelight because I've read you guys before and trust this source :p

Please don't do that mate. What you're feeling is mild intoxication from the ethanol. But methylated spirits can contain all kinds of toxic and poisonous nasties (like methanol) as well :(

There are also all kinds of other chemicals in mouthwash, none of which are intended to be swallowed in any quantity, and some of which could be pretty harmful and unpleasant (eg chlorhexidine).

If you ever feel the need to drink again, just buy a regular alcoholic drink (or discuss with your parents if a minor).

OD - - > BDD

Methanol causes blindness mate.

Alcohol is not really just to get shitfaced. Its for enjoyment. Its a social thing yet not.

Right. Jeffrey, we're really happy to have you here. We hope you can develop into a great, contributing member of the community!

So, you don't want to drink mouthwash. It's not like the Alcohol in mouthwash is really any different than the Alcohol found in beverages. It's typically 25%abv. It's not wood alcohol (Methanol). The issue is that there is other stuff in mouthwash that should not be consumed. Don't get me wrong, there are people who drink mouthwash every day due to whatever circumstances, but it seriously fucks them up.

Please don't be drinking mouthwash man. Chalk it up to a funny, spontaneous thing, but don't repeat it. If you need to escape badly enough to take these risks, I think there are other, psychological issues that you've gotta address man. We're here for you. If you need us, private message us or simply post back here.

First of all GMO?s aren?t bad, second please have someone buy you some real alcohol. Like stated before the methanol that makes mouthwash non drinkable alcohol will cause all sorts of health problems problems. Just buy a pint of mohawk vodka, extremely cheap and will get you fucked up without destroying your health as quickly.

I just want to make the point that it is not Methanol in mouthwash. It's regular old Ethyl Alcohol.

First of all GMO?s aren?t bad

This.

All scientific organizations agree GMO food is no more dangerous than normal crops.

Drinking mouthwash is stupid, don't do it. If you need to drink... go to the liquor store. If you aren't old enough... brew your own. Sugar and bakers yeast will work. Look online...

As a 58 yr old alcoholic, I can assure you that mouthwash will do in a pinch. I've drunk it several times when I was shaking (on the verge of D.T.s) and the stores were closed or I had no money. A few swallows of 20% ethanol calms the nerves.

That said, I don't recommend it. There are indeed things in mouthwash (such as thymol) that are bad for your gut.

I've even drunk hand sanitizer when I was really desperate. I don't recommend that either. Not sure what all is in it, but it tastes horrible.

I am sober now and I don't miss anything about active alcoholism.

Peace & Love,
jasper

If you aren't old enough... brew your own. Sugar and bakers yeast will work. Look online...

Inexperienced brewers with no experience and no means of testing their product risk methanol poisoning.
I would not recommend brewing your own alcohol unless taught by somebody that knows how to do it properly.

It's not feasible for the average teenager to start an Alcohol-producing enterprise, whether it be distilling liquor or making mash in a ziploc bag. As has been implied, you do risk Methanol poisoning, based upon many variables. But, we're not going to discuss that stuff here. ^Thanks for looking out man. Still, it's a process so simple that if you can't figure it out, well...

To answer falsified's question, no, they don't add anything, in my experience, to mouthwash that makes it undrinkable, but rather, it's the fluoride and other dental-care ingredients that are bad for you. Hell, if you have the 8-Ingredient mouthwash, that's 8 things you don't want to drink.

OP hasn't replied, because he has drank himself blind. Another victim of Scope. Or maybe it was Dr. Tichenor's, but I doubt it. I gargled with that once, accidentally swallowed it, and my entire world went black for about 10 seconds. Worst feeling ever! I had no idea that you were supposed to dilute it with water, by a ratio of about 7 to 1. Felt the burn, my stomach churn, and my world turn. Never again. I don't even like regular alcohol.

The difficulty with mouthwashes and determining safety is that many don't actually have to list all their ingredients, and don't state the source of their alcohol or it's actual purity. In the UK at least, certain brands used to contain denatured alcohol which contained methanol (methylated spirits), though it's hard to determine if any do anymore (Listerine, for example, doesn't and neither does Corsodyl).

In the US, mouthwashes must be denatured by law, but in this case we assume that most manufacturers use a combination of other active and inactive ingredients and flavourings to achieve this effect, rather than literally adding (or failing to remove) more dangerous alcohols, and that these additives will deter most from drinking them (and make many pretty ill in the process). So Keif's right in that respect.

But either way, mouthwash is not something you should ever aim to drink. I'd even prefer those ghastly hospital hand sanitisers (and their IPA) over mouthwash 8(

The mouthwash I drank was a generic with 20% ethanol. The sanitizer was 70% ethanol. Both had non-toxic additives. I doubt that either will kill you or blind you in small doses, but I'm also sure that they are not particularly good for you. Plus they are rough on the tummy.

As I said, it was alcoholic desperation. Not fun in any way at all.

Peace&Love,
jasper

This.

All scientific organizations agree GMO food is no more dangerous than normal crops.

Drinking mouthwash is stupid, don't do it. If you need to drink... go to the liquor store. If you aren't old enough... brew your own. Sugar and bakers yeast will work. Look online...

Double this. Fearing GMOs is scientific ignorance.

As for the alcohol, if you must drink, find another way to get alcohol that doesn't have that other shit in it mouthwash does. I'd sooner advise you to steal alcohol than drink mouthwash. Still a better choice overall. Preferably do neither but find some way to get unadulterated alcohol instead.

The real problem with "non-drinkable alcohol" is that the other stuff in it makes it almost undrinkable. Mouthwash, aftershave, hand sanitizers all contain perfume/flavors and mouthwash can also contain antiseptics like chlorhexidine. These all tend to leave an awful taste if consumed intentionally.

Mouthwash certainly won't contain methyl alcohol: there's no need to introduce a risk of blindness to a product people are supposed to use regularly. Most "food grade" denatured alcohol will contain bitterants like denatonium rather than mixing in nasty toxicants like bone oil, pyridine, acetone, or methanol.

As for GMO's, they're probably one of the most remarkable inventions in the history of agriculture and are drastically underused. Adding genes for vitamin synthesis and natural pest repellents (Bt/CRY) can make food cultivation both faster and more nutritious (more value for farmers).