• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Dr. Know Nothing?

wowens08

Greenlighter
Hello all, I am having a lot of trouble finding information on my issue. I am a recovering pill head and really need some advice. I just went to my psychiatrist today, after completing the IOP (Intensive Outpatient Program) and staying clean for 42 days (I did slip up yesterday of all days bc I was short on Subs, and needed a kick). I ended up giving about 5 films to a friend that wants to get clean off of heroin and has no insurance. ANYWAY, when I went to my doctor, after adjusting some other meds, including putting me on a new medicine called Concerta, he had told me that he wants to get me off of Suboxone completely, and every month that I came in, I would be going to a lower dose. Now, after doing pills from about the age of 21-26, and not even being clean other than them 42 days, I am FREAKING out. I have friends that are on Suboxone, and they have even told me that their doctors have kept them on it as a maintenance pill (taking as low as 4mg a day) So, I am wondering why the rush with my doctor? Do I need to find a different doctor? Has anyone relapsed after being off of Suboxone? Should I really be taken off of it so soon? If anyone could help, I would love all the advice I can get!

It depends what your goal is. If you want to stay off opiates, tell him that you don't want to stop suboxone. Do you have attention deficit disorder? That would explain putting you on concerta. Tell him your concerns and at that point you could decide if you want to see a new doctor.

(Homeless -------> Basic Drug Discussion)

He will wing you down accordingly, if you go a single day with atleast some kind of Suboxone you shouldn't feel too much withdrawal maybe the first couple days each month you go down. I switched back and fourth from opiate, heroin, methadone and Suboxone and the worse and hardest thing is coming from a high dose to nothing at all. Your lucky your dr didn't kick you out because some drs do. When I was taking Suboxone i was on 3 a day handed them out as well some days I took only 1 to a quarter and the end of the day from really bad withdrawal. You can't always be there for your friends in that way to give them your medicine. They need to find a way to help themselves or you'll end up hurting them in the long run as mean as that sounds. And they will expect you to help them after a while. Good luck I think you'll be ok.

tbh I wish I had come off bupe earlier, you're only prolonging the inevitable and making it more painful when you finally do decided to kick the habit.
but no one could have made me do it, and my key worker understood that. but now i'm at the point of wanting out, yeah, kinda wish i had a bit of kick up the arse to catalyze it...

I know people that been on methadone or Suboxone for years as a maintenance drug although can be used for pain it wasn't created for pain but to treat abuse from opiates. You have to want not need to stay clean or it will never happen! Takes over your mind you have to try and be stronger as hard as it sounds. Your body will tell you and your dr should help you, If not make that choice and find a new one if needed.

It depends what your goal is. If you want to stay off opiates, tell him that you don't want to stop suboxone. Do you have attention deficit disorder? That would explain putting you on concerta. Tell him your concerns and at that point you could decide if you want to see a new doctor.

(Homeless -------> Basic Drug Discussion)

Yes, I was diagnosed at the age of 12, but have been off my medicine since 18, I am now 26. I do believe a lot of my addiction is due to that fact that my ADHD was untreated, but not sure if the two correlate.

I was in an accident when I was 10, and since then my knees have been jacked which has now lead to back pain. So, I feel like I almost need the Suboxone for pain management or else my body is going to constantly urn for pain pills. I appreciate all the responses, I know I shouldn't of helped my friend but the good news is now he is in a Suboxone program of his own. I feel like he should be taking me off Subs on my own time (seeing how I am the one that has to deal with addiction) so I DONT relapse again.

Hmm only using for five years. Who knows maybe the bupe taper could be a good thing. If you taper down to a low dose like 0.25 mg and then stop and then fail you can start up again at an extremely low dose. You may even find the sub works much better at these low doses. After using pills for 16 years 5 of which was on bupe I did a voluntary two year taper. It was definitely worth it and rather hard. Jumping at 0.5mg was really uncomfortable but I will spare you the details.

I can only imagine what it would have been like if i got addicted after the ages of 13 and instead got treatment in the first few years compared to after 10 years. You can do it.
If you are not down with the docs plan find a new one.

So you slipped up and did some other opiate? Did the doc do a pill count or find out that you were short or did you tell him you gave some away? If you are giving your sub away you could be on to high of a dose. The idea is to have just enough to get by so giving some away would put you into WD at the end of the month. If the prescribers find out you are running out early and pissing dirty they get angry/forced tapers. Some even test your norbupe levels and this can tell them how much you are actually taking. Just keep this in mind.

Last edited: