• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Dr Julian Somers brought up his fraudulent National Post story during the first class and started arguing with students wtf lol

Landrew

Bluelighter

Professor Who Claimed BC Government Censored Him Faces Complaints From Grad Students​

Students and faculty raise concerns after a Simon Fraser University course taught by professor Julian Somers descends into chaos

by Rumneek Johal,Reporter
February 22, 2023

According to a letter to SFU’s Faculty of Health Sciences signed by over a dozen PhD and MSc students newly obtained by PressProgress, grad students allege a class taught by professor Julian Somers got off to the wrong start last month when he brought up his National Post story during the first class and started arguing with students.

The National Post story, which claimed Somers had been “silenced” by BC’s government for criticizing safe supply policies, was retweeted by right-wing figures, including Pierre Poilievre and Jordan Peterson.

sfusdudens.jpg

The reason I call the paper fraudelent is that Dr Somers goes into 'rehab denial' claiming BC has nothing like portugals "theraputic communites" when they are remarkably similar to what we have in BC. Here is a quote from the Adam Zivo NP article which he brought to his SFU class:

In a phone call, Somers contrasted Canada’s approach to that of Portugal. The Portuguese are legendary for effectively tackling addiction while decriminalizing drugs, but many don’t realize that their model focuses heavily on rehabilitation.
“Portugal has 64 therapeutic communities and zero consumption sites. British Columbia has zero therapeutic communities and 40-something consumption sites,” he noted.

Armed with his study results, Somers worked with 14 non-profits to call for reforms to B.C.’s drug and homeless policies. In late February 2021, he presented his findings to several provincial deputy ministers. A week later, the provincial government sent him a letter demanding that he destroy the IMED within one week. https://nationalpost.com/opinion/silencing-drug-addiction-experts-who-question-safe-supply
Keep the number 64 in mind. Google anything like how many drug rehabs in Portugal? and you should find this article – It is a few years old ,has the number at 63.. These “therapeutic communities” are way to close to BC’s drug treatment facilities to reasonably claim they are a different animal.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/co...ons-treatment-ranges-from-spa-like-to-spartan

Also, in Vancouver you do not have to go to rehab to access such services in the DTES. For example – STEPS is way better than their website makes it sound, they have a talented MyoActivation practitioner there too, and a little gym..

https://www.vch.ca/en/service/steps-mental-health-rehabilitation-program

what do you call a doctor who denies services exist?

Hes a redneck too, lol

One thing noteworthy in the Press Progress article is it sounds like Julian has significant if not majority support in his department.

one more PP article on this.

Last edited:
this guy is fucking great imo right up there with dr phil and jorpa dorp aka benzo kermit

just skimmed that for the first time and now see i should have used it for my OP if its as bent as it first looks, i may edit it into OP soon.

Here is one of his NIMBY homies raving about it

Last edited:
I look around at my country( America) and Canada. I see a frightening trend of dictarship type governments in what should be democracies. I think a lot people of people who get power are these elitist, self righteous, power hungry snobs who are out of touch with reality.
They have all sorts of ideas that fail, and everyone else is to blame. The worst part is I am wondering if a significant number of politicians in the western world are corrupt; so many are like puppets

They have all sorts of ideas that fail, and everyone else is to blame. The worst part is I am wondering if a significant number of politicians in the western world are corrupt; so many are like puppets
Yes, they're corrupt. That's why they fail upwards, into higher positions, due to a patronage network. A network of Corporate/Foreign interests and dark money

You are definitely on to what is going on. I think there are a lot of evil, rich old men and a few women trying to create a global dictatorship.

a blatant fraud by Julian on this NP article that may not debunk the whole thing in one blow, even though dumbed down NP tries to make it look so..

“Portugal has 64 therapeutic communities and zero consumption sites. British Columbia has zero therapeutic communities and 40-something consumption sites,” he noted.

Armed with his study results, Somers worked with 14 non-profits to call for reforms to B.C.’s drug and homeless policies. In late February 2021, he presented his findings to several provincial deputy ministers.

A week later, the provincial government sent him a letter demanding that he destroy the IMED within one week.
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/silencing-drug-addiction-experts-who-question-safe-supply

edit: forgot that was an Adam Zivo atricle or I would have made note, I already made a thread on him..

This 'no treatment beds anywhere free dillies everywhere' lie is constant in the Canadian Alt-Right and bad enough when hacks like Aaron Gunn spread it, but a distinguished SFU professor? by the way SFU is usaullly the good guy on the stuff with most poor-bashing crap coming from UBC

Last edited:
That's hilarious. If you read the letter they're asking for data to be destroyed because a contract is expiring. Wow, such incredible hyperbole over nothing. They even invited him to a new program they set up to do further research

God damn I love quacks

updated OP with abundant drama over this 'free speech' problem

Julian Somers: Our study found ‘safe supply’ isn’t safe. We were smeared for our work​

Clinical psychologist debunks criticism of his team's research review for Alberta's health ministry

Author of the article:
Julian Somers, Special to National Post
Published Jul 05, 2023 • Last updated Jul 05, 2023 • 5 minute read

snip from near the end cuz redneck drama . PSAD is Julians term for safe supply,is "Public Supply of Addictive Drugs", public means "your hard earned tax dollars" and I think this term is [deliberate] redneck trigger bait.

PSAD’s advocates now experience an unenviable form of success. Participating clinicians and those with businesses promoting PSAD risk exposure to litigation. Policy makers and researchers must explain why evidence from randomized trials is essential before introducing drugs including vaccines, but not for the off-label dispensing of addictive drugs to people who are homeless, unemployed and mentally unwell. And Canadians need to consider that the drug mortality crisis is perpetuated by continuously replacing people who are at risk.

Last edited:
I feel like the fact that 15/19 of the papers they used for their review being from BC is kinda sus. Is he really saying that there is such a limited amount of work on the subject he could basically only find it from like 2 or 3 labs? Something smells weird about that. Safe supply is in a few European countries

yeah he was just talking about HAT [Heroin Assited Therapy ] in Switzerland, and only because he had to when a debunker brought it up. He lied and said it works cuz there were screened so that unemployed could not take part, when in fact its closer to the opposite.

To qualify for treatment, patients need to be at least 18 years old, suffer from severe opioid dependence for two years or more, need to have failed at least two prior conventional treatment attempts and present psychological, physical, or social impairments.

BCs Chief Coroner retires, Julian goes full ahab on her and posts reposts weird nimby slanderous ravings. Most unhinged ive seen him, but Im new at this quack.

he had his own tweets basically saying the same thing without the J word, weird he has to repost this shit

He likes stepup but in this one he quotes TOTALPROTONICREVERSAL

[edit - i just noticed twitter doesnt show Julian reposted this in the embed OR if you follow the link, kind of a pain... id screen but why screen somthing that easy to shop?