Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DPT hcl conversion to freebase

Ineffable14

Bluelighter
I was going through the archives and various sources and found this--

"Dpt hydrochloride in ethanol or isopropanol (may require a bit of heat). Also dissolve NaOH in isopropanol or ethanol (1g in 200ml then store in airtight plastic container). For every 30mg of DPT hydrochloride you need 5mg of NaOH to fully convert it to freebase. For say 300mg of DPT in solution in 30ml of isopropanol or ethanol you'll require 10ml of the above alcoholic NaOH solution (1g in 200ml = 5mg/ml. 300mg DPT.HCl requires 50mg NaOH which works out at 10ml of solution). You simply mix them together, warm the solution and leave it for an hour. In the space of that hour the DPT.HCl + NaOH converts to DPT (freebase) and NaCl (plus a tiny - insignificant - amount of water). NaCl is common salt and is utterly insoluble in alcohol, so it makes the liquid appear cloudy. You don't even need to remove the NaCl to smoke it as it's inert at the temp used to vapourize DPT freebase."

It was my understanding that the freebase would have to be pulled from the solution as it would result in the final product containing some amounts of NaOH. Does this process fully convert the lye to the inert NaCl? Would this same process work using 99% iso ethanol considering there is some water content?

Also how long will the resulting oil hold potency in a freezer?

Thanks ahead for any input!
Cheers

I can't answer your question, but I always thought the easiest way to turn a DPT salt into the freebase, was to mix it with some sodium carbonate and a little water. I did try it once and it didn't work out, but I think the problem was that I didn't have pure sodium carbonate, maybe.

This is a topic that actually interests me, hopefully Solipsis or Seiko will drop by.

If it's for the purpose of smoking/vaping, there couldn't be an easier way than the baking soda method.

Dissolve the DPT HCl in a tiny amount of water, trying to make it around a saturated solution. You can use some heat to help it dissolve. Then add a tiny amount of baking soda, and stir it in. The DPT will convert to a freebase oil which you can drag/skim off the top if you're doing the whole thing in a spoon.

You can google to get more specific instructions.

This method is a bit ghetto.. but I've done the baking soda method a bunch of times now, always worked really well for vaping.

If you use this method I would recommend drying your alcohol with Calcium sulfate (Drierite) so as not to lose any due to water in your alcohol.

Actually, I'm not familiar with this method, but without water the lye will remain as lye...I think. I'm, obviously, no chemist, so take it with a grain of salt.

My 2 cents FWIW.

When I convert my DMT back to a base I just throw the Fumarate salt in an aqueous NaOH solution and then let the freebase rise to the top and decant and wash with water, but I'm doing a gram or more at a time so it's easy to separate...

Last edited:
I've used perp's method, but it is a little messy because of the consistency - also probably because I didn't convert a nice big amount. The less you convert, the more you lose your product in the mess from having to scoop off the oil.

Higher pH freebases more / a bit better although you wouldn't have to go more than about 2 pH above the pKb - I think the pKb for DET is about 10?

I guess ideally you would do an acid/base extraction a la DMT. So if you have to convert quite a bit and have the gear (nice extraction funnel etc) I guess just dissolve in basified demi water and extract with naphtha if that is actually the ideal solvent. Perhaps one slightly more non-polar if anything..

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...rties-Stability-Solubility-Storage-Conversion