• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Doxycycline and MDMA

Care

Bluelight Crew
I've been on a doxycycline regimen (200mg/day) for a couple months for acne. I'm considering going to a rave in a couple weeks, if I go there is a good chance i'll be taking MDMA.

I've done a little research and from what I can understand doxycycline inhibits the CYP34A enzyme which is partially responsible for the breakdown of MDMA in the body.

My question is, what are the likely results of this interaction? From what i've read people that have done it noticed they were more sensitive to MDMA, but that's it.

Are the tetracyclines full-fledged CYP3A4 inhibitors, or merely substrates?

I took monodox for acne (very effective) for 2 or 3 years. I took several dozen different CYP3A4 substrates during those years and noticed no odd effects.

3A4 isn't necessary for the metabolism of MDMA. Other enzymes can pick up the slack (if there's slack to be picked up). The pathway is diagrammed on page 15 here.

This is me being obsessive and has little to do with doxycycline.

Looking at that diagram, the first step in MDMA metabolism is demethylenation to 3,4-dihydroxymethamphetamine (relatively inactive?), and this conversion is present even 15 minutes after dosing. This step involves CYP3A4.

So then, conversion of MDMA (by alternate pathway) to MDA (active) is a relatively minor occurrence. But the MDMA to MDA pathway doesn't involve CYP3A4.

I wonder then if giving CYP3A4 a less active role would swerve the equilibrium of the 1st metabolic step towards N-demethylation and therefore augment the concentration of MDA w/r/t dihydroxymethamphetamine...

yes, inhibition of CYP3A4 both potentiates the MDMA and is tentatively neuroprotective. it would make the MDMA less toxic as it is the dihydroxy metabolite which is prime for glutathione conjugation and the formation of tertiary and quaternary ultra-toxic metabolites.

So would taking a dose prior to ingesting MDMA perhaps give some degree of neuroprotection? What sort of dose might be appropriate.

Wow, interesting stuff in this thread, could it be possible that people who seem to be oversensitive to some of MDMA's negative aftereffects might have overactive CYP3A4?

And I wouldn't recommend taking doxycycline specifically for the purpose of enhancing MDMA, can't that dehydrate you? 100% white grapefruit juice from concentrate is dirt cheap, loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants, and is a damn good CYP3A4 inhibitor.

So I decided not to go to the rave. Still, thanks for the replys. I may find myself in a similar situation before too long.

Can someone please shed some light on this topic. I can't find anyones experiences relating doxycycline and mdma.

If someone was on 100mg doxycycline a day and usually takes around 180mg mdma initial dose when not on doxycycline, what would you dose?

Is this a dangerous combination? Possible side effects? Experiences?

Any info appreciated.

I'm also interested in this question. My friend (yes my actual friend - not a SWIM reference haha) has just been prescribed 100mg a day of doxycline for his eyes. He has dosed 120mg once before and found it too intense so I recommended 100mg this time round (his 2nd time). Reading into CYPA34A inhibitors suggests it would make the experience more intense and long-lasting. Considering he found his first experience too intense and now he is on a potentiating prescription, I was going to give him 70-80mg if he decides to do it. His first comedown was also quite bad and lasted 4 days and he does not want this again. I just want him to enjoy it and not have the horrible comedown like i'm lucky to avoid.

Are the CYP34A inhibiting properties of 100mg doxycline per day likely to give him a worse comedown/intenser experience? If 120mg was too strong without a CYP34A inhibitor, do you guys believe that 70-80mg could be an adequate, and most importantly, safe dose. He weighs around 85kg but I find that weight is really not a good indicator of sensitivity to MDMA.

Thanks for any replies, they'd be extremely appreciated.

Hi there
I was taking 100 mg of Doxycycline 2 times a day for 7 days. I've finish my treatment yesterday and tomorrow I'll go to a party. I'd like to know if is safe to take MDMA 2 days after the treatment or if the effects of the antibiotic would still there. Thanks a lot for your help!

some doxycycline is still in your blood (half life 15/25 hour) so maybe a smaller dose could be enough to get you high, eventually you can redose later...

Thanks a lot for your reply farmacista. I'll defenitly take a smaller dose. Do you think that the effects will be much strong or is there any danger (apart of the normal danger of taking MDMA, of course) thanks a lot!

acne medication interaction with MDMA? It's such kid drug ;p Neuroprotective, potentiation? A clear complexion makes you more hip, so does rolling at the local rave; all = increasing social outgoing-ness; there's the potentiation and protection. ;-P

Thanks a lot for your reply farmacista. I'll defenitly take a smaller dose. Do you think that the effects will be much strong or is there any danger (apart of the normal danger of taking MDMA, of course) thanks a lot!

you shouldn't have any particular risk apart from the normal ones

I've been on a doxycycline regimen (200mg/day) for a couple months for acne. I'm considering going to a rave in a couple weeks, if I go there is a good chance i'll be taking MDMA.

I've done a little research and from what I can understand doxycycline inhibits the CYP34A enzyme which is partially responsible for the breakdown of MDMA in the body.

My question is, what are the likely results of this interaction? From what i've read people that have done it noticed they were more sensitive to MDMA, but that's it.

CYP3A4 is responsible for conversion of MDMA to MDA -- that will be inhibited -- likely not an issue